Westland Wyvern canopy types and type conversions

Max89

I have found out that 830 squadron was reformed in October 1955 with the Westland Wyvern turboprop strike fighter. Flying from HMS Eagle, 830's Wyverns took part in Suez operation of November 1956, before again disbanding in January 1957

Wyverns saw active service in Operation Musketeer with 830 Squadron, operating from HMS Eagle, during the 1956 Suez Crisis.  They mounted the first attack on the 1st November 1956 by attacking Egyptian airfields near the canal. A total of 79 sorties were flown by the 6th November when the operation was called off.  Two Wyverns were lost, at least one to ground fire.

I assume that once 830 Sqn disbanded their aircraft were transferred to other Squadrons

• 3 months later...

Looking for a bit of guidance on where if possible to find a vac form canopy for my 1/72 Trumpeter Wyvern S4. Had a ‘mare and cracked the front windscreen when removing from the sprue (becoming a very bad habit) 😫. Think it’s unrecoverable with my currrent skill set all the pledge/Klear in the world. I’ve checked Hannants and broken google with my searches but drawn a blank. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this etc..

Thanks for taking the time to read and any ideas would be appreciated! 

Diolch yn fawr!

9 hours ago, NoGoodBoyo said:

Looking for a bit of guidance on where if possible to find a vac form canopy for my 1/72 Trumpeter Wyvern S4.

If you particulary want a vacform canopy, then Falcon issued one in their set No 19, can still be found,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FNCV1972

Gobeithio bod hyn yn helpful!

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

If you particulary want a vacform canopy, then Falcon issued one in their set No 19, can still be found,

Thanks Chally, that was the only one i’d come across. I toyed with it and as it didn’t say it was specifically for the trumpeter kit I thought I’d give it a miss. Is this a very novice oversight on my part? With something like a canopy should it not matter too much on the “intended for use with” caveat? 

Diolch yn ddefnyddiol iawn I chi!

A ydych siarad Cymreag naturoil neu ddysgwr fel fi?

16 hours ago, NoGoodBoyo said:

I toyed with it and as it didn’t say it was specifically for the trumpeter kit I thought I’d give it a miss. Is this a very novice oversight on my part?

Good point that I had overlooked.  I haven't tried this canopy on the Trumpy Wyvern and I don't know anyone that has.

Personally speaking I wouldn't worry about getting it though, the canopy style of the aircraft strikes me as being adaptable across different kits, and vacform canopies can be readily (but very carefully!) trimmed to fit a particular kit.

However if you are after a guaranteed good fit I would take Beefy up on his very kind offer.

Dysgwr Cymraeg sylfaenol iawn!

On 2/23/2018 at 9:40 AM, 71chally said:

Thanks Chally, that was the only one i’d come across. I toyed with it and as it didn’t say it was specifically for the trumpeter kit I thought I’d give it a miss. Is this a very novice oversight on my part? With something like a canopy should it not matter too much on the “intended for use with” caveat? 

Diolch yn ddefnyddiol iawn I chi!

A ydych siarad Cymreag naturoil neu ddysgwr fel fi?

I think if it were a single canopy for the usual couple of quid, I would have taken the punt and bought a couple (allowing for inevitable mistake) but I have taken Beefy up on his kind offer. Hope I can help out with something. 

Pob luc gan chi Cymraeg! Trio SSIW (say something in Welsh) Ma’en dda iawn!