Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Mike

22 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

Call me underwhelmed 🙄 The X-Wing's have got a nice design/colour scheme, but nothing that couldn't be done with paint to the existing kits.

I'm not really sold on D-0 as a character, so the two pack with BB-8 isn't tempting me.

I suppose it's about what I was expecting, and in line with the releases we saw from the last film, but I was secretly hoping for something new and a little more interesting.

Andy:cat:

I agree with you that a proper masking can  be applied to former x-wings kits to achieve the same painting outcome but from the images (source😞spacer.png

spacer.png

it seems the new kits are designed to have colored sections separated from the white/grey ones making the painting easier. 

Edited by BackToZeon
added images
  • Thanks 1

hasbro-ren-mask-web.jpg

This is described as "Kylo Ren's Force Rage Mask" which may be a plot spoiler/hint for Ep9 (KR goes postal?)

All the new Star Wars product is here https://www.starwars.com/news/triple-force-friday-products

On the subject of the lack of Solo merch, I think that Solo was a bit of a turkey. Also some of the design work was decidedly clunky. Han's speeder looked like it was made out of Lego before the Lego version came out and there wasn't much else to grab the imagination other than the Millennium Falcon with the cargo pod.

Edited by Rumblestripe

Bandai has quite a few new design options to model from the Rise of Skywalker movie if they wish to. To me it seems like nothing has really moved on from the basic 1976 Star Wars designs. I mean, in something like 100 years we've gone from the likes of the Sopwith Camel to the F-35 Fighter. Yet in this science fictional universe that spans how many years? things have progressed very little indeed!

20.jpg

21.jpg

26.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Richard.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Nice designs. Just wish Bandai would accidentally drop one into a 1/48 moulding machine. You know... by mistake. 

I gave up waiting for the 1:48 version pretty soon after the initial X-wings, and it seems they're pretty much sticking to 1:72 unless it's too big (Falcon et al) or would be too small - the wee Snowspeeder and AT-ST being the happy few. It's have preferred 1:48 myself, but the 1:72 stuff takes up a lot less space (no pun intended). The 1:48 Super Star Destroyer may not happen, I fear :(

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

I gave up waiting for the 1:48 version pretty soon after the initial X-wings, and it seems they're pretty much sticking to 1:72 unless it's too big (Falcon et al) or would be too small - the wee Snowspeeder and AT-ST being the happy few. It's have preferred 1:48 myself, but the 1:72 stuff takes up a lot less space (no pun intended). The 1:48 Super Star Destroyer may not happen, I fear :(

I'd go for 1/72 if only went for kits that had the chance of a decent size, like the Slave 1. I know they take up less space but the strain experienced trying to build them and its a struggle to get the effects that you can with a much larger base to work with 

First I've seen of some of those new designs, and while they are still nice...it all looks so uninspired, still. Compared to the prequels there's almost nothing new about them. The Sith TIE is somewhat interesting and different, but even that's a recycled concept for First Order TIE fighters from TFA - and there were many other better concepts.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, BackToZeon said:

I agree with you that a proper masking can  be applied to former x-wings kits to achieve the same painting outcome but from the images (source😞spacer.png

spacer.png

it seems the new kits are designed to have colored sections separated from the white/grey ones making the painting easier. 

Ironically (but perhaps not altogether surprisingly), the color patterns on the new T-70s are very similar to the black and white "partisan" scheme used by Saw Garrera's faction as brifely glimpsed in Rogue One.

spacer.png

It's frustrating that Bandai's multicolor plastic tooling meant they've had to completely re-engineer the T-70 kit just for a simple color scheme change.  Their time and effort could be so much better spent giving us more kits of actual new subjects. 😕

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, Mike said:

Am I imagining things then? :unsure: I thought there was a "chunk" of extra greeblies in the middle of the deck, and those "fins" near the exhausts look a bit larger than I recall.  They've also got the round dish again.  Have I just forgotten what she looks like after all these years? :frantic:

It's hard to tell for sure but I think the lighting, painting, point of view, and possibly some lens distortion are all contributing to make that shot of the engine deck look like it deviates further from the original than the model may.  I do agree the triangular armature pieces seem taller than the original, and the detailing aft of the center panzer deck seems bulkier, but I don't see anything major that seems to be absent on the five footer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2019 at 20:00, Gekko_1 said:

19.jpg

Aren't these slightly wrong? The First Order F-11D blaster rifle has white parts on it (which I think looks silly), they aren't entirely black (unless ROS is changing them and I've just missed it).

Edited by TheVoidDragon

3 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Aren't these slightly wrong? The First Order F-11D blaster rifle has white parts on it (which I think looks silly), they aren't entirely black (unless ROS is changing them and I've just missed it).

The Bandai F-11 blaster is moulded entirely in black. It's the same mould they've used since the original Force Awakens trooper Personally, I think they should have moulded it in white, since it would have been much easier to paint. I hade to paint the white and silver bits on my FO Trooper build, which was rather fiddly to do.

It appears that the new release also comes with the SE-44 pistol which looks like it does come with white parts (or someone's been at it with a paint brush)

Looking at the sprues for the re-tooled X-wing. Does it look as though the undercarriage option is still available or is it in-flight only?

The reason I ask is that I have the Last Jedi X-Wing currently on it's way to me from Japan and I want to display it alongside the green one from the new movie. I normally make my X and Y wings on the ground just like I do with aircraft but if the new kits are in-flight only I'll make the one I've ordered in-flight too so they can be displayed together.

Anyway, I hope they sell enough to make the new Y-Wing. Always had a soft spot for that design.

Stuart

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stuart Wilson said:

Looking at the sprues for the re-tooled X-wing. Does it look as though the undercarriage option is still available or is it in-flight only?

I'm guessing that it'll still be there. The original T-70 release had the landing gear on the metallic sprue that also held the engine nozzles and the canopy. I don't think that sprue would have been affected by the fuselage/wing re-tool.

This is Bandai though, so you never know.

22679371397_80b25d6b67_b.jpg

In a similar vein, I wasn't aware that they'd removed the astromechs from the T-65 X-Wing. I knew they'd re-tooled the kit to replace the original standing pilot figure with Mr Flatty but, after recently picking up one of the current (Revell issued) releases, I've found that they've removed the two astromech bodys from the engine sprues and replaced them with simplified upper torsos that plug into the hole behind the cockpit. You still get the R2 and R5 domes, but you can no longer make free standing droids.

Don't know if the change is present on Japanese kits, or if it's just for the Revell ones.

I saw the final trailer this morning, and I'm quite excited by the prospect of some new Star Wars goodness ^_^ Still can't believe we haven't yet had any Praetorian guards or whatever those red fellas from the big battle on TLJ were called.  I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Rylo Ken with either a repaired red-veined mask and/or a 3D printed fizzog with and without scars like the ones they did for Han and Luke for the first Death Star rescue. :yes:

Saying that, did anyone else notice the swooshy red sabre he was rocking in those pics above?  Could be a sign of a revised release, hmmm? :hmmm:

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:33, BackToZeon said:

From this source: It seems (to me) Kylo Ren 'refurbished' mask is a mash-up of both the old mask and the broken Darth Vader mask:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Mike, this is the kit you are looking for!!  Not sure about the exploded head but you do get a clear red light sabre fan!!

I do like those X-Wing colour schemes and I know why Bandai are doing the colour separation, but for those of us with tape and paint it's actively worse to have separations along non-panel lines.

The snap fit kits are a bit like trainer aircraft, easy to build but hard to build well :)

W

On 21/10/2019 at 19:50, Andy Moore said:

In a similar vein, I wasn't aware that they'd removed the astromechs from the T-65 X-Wing. I knew they'd re-tooled the kit to replace the original standing pilot figure with Mr Flatty but, after recently picking up one of the current (Revell issued) releases, I've found that they've removed the two astromech bodys from the engine sprues and replaced them with simplified upper torsos that plug into the hole behind the cockpit. You still get the R2 and R5 domes, but you can no longer make free standing droids.

Don't know if the change is present on Japanese kits, or if it's just for the Revell ones.

Those astromechs got removed from all kits in 2017 alongside the standing pilots.

23 hours ago, Madmonk said:

Mike, this is the kit you are looking for!!  Not sure about the exploded head but you do get a clear red light sabre fan!!

That's the one, but I can't see any Vader bits on my screen, just the red lines.  He smashed his helmet at the of TFA, didn't he?  Thinking about that for the first time now, unless he used his force powers to assist with the destruction, it does cast doubt upon the usefulness of his helmet as a defence method :hmmm: