Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Mike

On 12/26/2018 at 10:21 PM, AndyRM101 said:

Let's guess what Andy got for Chrimbo. Yeah, okay it's the Blockade Runner. Not hard to guess if you look at the pics. I thought anyone who's not got theirs yet might like to see the sprues though. Two sprues, but joined together. This is from the Tantive/Falcon double pack, but I believe the sprues are separated in the standard release. The individual sprues are still larger than the normal vehicle model box though.

<snip!>

<snip!>

<snip!>

Separate cockpit face and end caps, so the seams should be hidden fairly well.

<snip!>

Nice detailing on the engines too

<snip!>

Usual Bandai quality and detail. No surprises there. I think the most interesting thing is the size of the sprues, as they obviously won't fit in the standard box scale box. Up until now, all the vehicle model kits have been scaled to fit in the regular boxes, but this seems to open the door for other larger scale models coming in this range in the future.

Andy:cat:

Thanks for the photo's, that's much better than I thought it would be and the level of detail is very nice indeed.  It's still a shame that they've done it in that scale though; 1/600 or 1/700 would be much better IMHO

Having said that, there are some other scales used in the series that are a bit weird - who had the idea for 1/93 scale (Kylo Ren's Shuttle) ?!?

On 18/12/2018 at 15:21, Madmonk said:

Got 15 sets of decals coming for the Blockade Runner, looking like they will be £9 a set incl UK postage, initially only got red sets as the kit stickers, there may be green and blue sets available at a later date.

...and my set arrived today, and they are just SO much better than the stickers.  Not only are they microscopically thin, and they will they settle down infinitely better, but there's also a load of wear built into the colour, which is at a scale that would be difficult to replicate in/on paint.  Bravo! :clap2:

See @Madmonk for details :)

• Like 2

Glad you like them Mike, Nick's decals are very good and usually have the weathering built in!!

If anyone is interested I have decals for a red, blue or green Blockade Runner, though only 2 each of the blue and green.  Cost is £7 plus £1 P+P within the UK, postage to Europe will be £2.  If you are in the US it would be best to contact Nick direct through his FB page Cosmos Models.

If you want a set drop me a PM or if you are at the Bolton Show on 20th Jan I will save you a set to pick up there.

Cheers,

Warren

On 1/2/2019 at 4:25 AM, Gav G said:

Having said that, there are some other scales used in the series that are a bit weird - who had the idea for 1/93 scale (Kylo Ren's Shuttle) ?!?

The be fair -- that's a completely different manufacturer. Bandai doesn't make a Kylo Ren shuttle kit, and Revell has never produced kits in consistent scales. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, monsterpartyhat said:

The be fair -- that's a completely different manufacturer. Bandai doesn't make a Kylo Ren shuttle kit, and Revell has never produced kits in consistent scales. 

Ah, didn't realise that.  I just made the assumption that Revell had reboxed a Bandai kit!

Edited by Gav G

• 4 weeks later...

I've just heard a bit of a rumour, albeit from a respectable source, that Bandai aren't producing any more Perfect Grade 1:72 Millennium Falcons.  If you've been putting off buying one, I'd get one now, although I suspect they might be withdrawing the New Hope edition to tool another... just a thought, and that last bit is totally unsubstantiated.  I'd take heed on the first bit though, as I seriously suspect that's valid. :hmmm:

Incidentally, any other new kits announced lately?  Seems to have gone a bit quiet lately.  I know that Revell will be reboxing 6 Bandai Star Wars kits this year, which is something to look forward to :)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Incidentally, any other new kits announced lately?  Seems to have gone a bit quiet lately.

I've seen the Empire version of the box scale Falcon starting to show up on ebay, and there are a couple of Astromechs coming, albeit only re-coloured versions of the existing R2 and R5. Beyond that, I've not heard of anything new. Hopefully, we'll see a prominent release in summer before we get onto the Ep9 stuff (if there is any) later in the year.

I've already listed a few things I'd like to see, but whether Bandai consider them bankable is another matter.  I'm still riding high on the happiness of finally getting a Blockade Runner, but much wants more ^_^ I Kylo Ren shuttle and his Discombobulator TIE from TLJ would be good to see, as would some things from Solo.  I hope that the relative lack of success of TLJ hasn't dampened Bandai's enthusiasm for the license. :hmmm:

• Like 1

Revell are just adding a sticker to the Bandai box by the looks of it rather than reboxing.

Saw some photos from one of the recent Japanese toy/model shows but nothing new there in the SW front from Bandai. 😩

On 1/31/2019 at 2:06 PM, Mike said:

I've already listed a few things I'd like to see, but whether Bandai consider them bankable is another matter.  I'm still riding high on the happiness of finally getting a Blockade Runner, but much wants more ^_^ I Kylo Ren shuttle and his Discombobulator TIE from TLJ would be good to see, as would some things from Solo.  I hope that the relative lack of success of TLJ hasn't dampened Bandai's enthusiasm for the license. :hmmm:

I think if anything Rogue One would have been more of a signal to Bandai than TLJ on a merchandising level. Five new tool kits for RO and TLJ only got a box scale AT-M6 and the rest were minor variants based on existing kits. I would have loved to see a Praetorian Guard (which they did produce in the figuarts line) as a kit. It makes more sense that Bandai were looking at sales of TIE Strikers and Shore Troopers when making decisions to kit Praetorian Guards and resistance A-wings. Although you could also make the argument that the 1/72 Falcon was taking up a lot of R&D space at the time so that might have cut into TLJ kit development. 

At this point the main thing I'd love to get my hands on is a 1/144 Lambda Shuttle. A 1/72 Naboo star fighter would be great as would a 1/72 TIE bomber.

More box scale capital ships would be incredible too. The Blockade Runner was such a sublime kit. A Naboo cruiser would be a great fit for the VM line as well. 

I feel like more 1/48 fighters are going to be a bit of a pipe dream. The X-wing has been out long enough for Bandai to get a feel on the demand of them, although I feel like sales would have been different without the gimmicky moving edition adding costs. 

As far as perfect grade kits go - I can only really see Slave I or an AT-AT having enough resonance and demand to justify producing to the level as the PG Falcon. 

I do imagine we'll see some Ep9 kits but it might be closer to what we got for Solo than Rogue One and TFA. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frequentsteve said:

I think if anything Rogue One would have been more of a signal to Bandai than TLJ on a merchandising level. Five new tool kits for RO and TLJ only got a box scale AT-M6 and the rest were minor variants based on existing kits. I would have loved to see a Praetorian Guard (which they did produce in the figuarts line) as a kit. It makes more sense that Bandai were looking at sales of TIE Strikers and Shore Troopers when making decisions to kit Praetorian Guards and resistance A-wings. Although you could also make the argument that the 1/72 Falcon was taking up a lot of R&D space at the time so that might have cut into TLJ kit development. 

Yes, I agree. The decision to release only one new tool kit for TLJ (and only a box scale kit at that) would have been taken long before the film came out. There seems to have been a trend over the last two years for the number of new releases to slow down, and we're seeing more re-releases and modifications like the Astromechs and the revised vehicle model Falcon. I think the first couple of years of Bandai's SW licence saw such a flurry of new kits that we probably all started to think it would go on like that for years to come. I suppose it was inevitable that it would slow.

I'm hopeful we'll see a TIE Bomber in 72nd. They rounded off the Rebel ships with the B-Wing, and the Bomber would do the same for the Imperial fighters. If not in 72nd then we might get one in the VM line since they could pack it with the existing TIE Fighter.

Agree on the capital ships too. They're perfect for the VM range. I guess they're probably unlikely, but a Royal Starship or a Naboo Cruiser would indeed be a great choice. They'd look amazing finished in Molotow chrome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

Yes, I agree. The decision to release only one new tool kit for TLJ (and only a box scale kit at that) would have been taken long before the film came out. There seems to have been a trend over the last two years for the number of new releases to slow down, and we're seeing more re-releases and modifications like the Astromechs and the revised vehicle model Falcon. I think the first couple of years of Bandai's SW licence saw such a flurry of new kits that we probably all started to think it would go on like that for years to come. I suppose it was inevitable that it would slow.

I'm hopeful we'll see a TIE Bomber in 72nd. They rounded off the Rebel ships with the B-Wing, and the Bomber would do the same for the Imperial fighters. If not in 72nd then we might get one in the VM line since they could pack it with the existing TIE Fighter.

Agree on the capital ships too. They're perfect for the VM range. I guess they're probably unlikely, but a Royal Starship or a Naboo Cruiser would indeed be a great choice. They'd look amazing finished in Molotow chrome.

I would have never expected the 1/12 Grevious figure so stranger things have happened! 

It has honestly been a tremendous line looking back on what Bandai have produced in entirety that as much as I don't like the slowdown I can't really fault them for it. At the very least I hope they continue the VM line which I've found unexpectedly delightful and hopefully more realistic than the demands for 60cm long star destroyers or 1/48 AT-ATs.

The Blockade Runner hopefully is selling enough to indicate there's a demand for more! I've bought two so I'm doing my part. 

Hopefully we'll get some news at the next big Japanese toy/model convention. I think the one the B-wing was announced at is coming up soon

• Like 1

IF you are looking to build a 1/144 Hoth diorama with Bandai's AT-AT and the vehicle scale AT-ST and Snowspeeder then JPG have just released a Hoth set with 4 Shield Generators, 3 Turrets and 2 Dishes, £40 plus postage, should be on the website at the weekend or PM.

uNBekfJ.jpg

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 01/02/2019 at 19:22, frequentsteve said:

(...)

At this point the main thing I'd love to get my hands on is a 1/144 Lambda Shuttle. A 1/72 Naboo star fighter would be great as would a 1/72 TIE bomber.

More box scale capital ships would be incredible too. The Blockade Runner was such a sublime kit. A Naboo cruiser would be a great fit for the VM line as well. 

I feel like more 1/48 fighters are going to be a bit of a pipe dream. The X-wing has been out long enough for Bandai to get a feel on the demand of them, although I feel like sales would have been different without the gimmicky moving edition adding costs. 

As far as perfect grade kits go - I can only really see Slave I or an AT-AT having enough resonance and demand to justify producing to the level as the PG Falcon. 

I do imagine we'll see some Ep9 kits but it might be closer to what we got for Solo than Rogue One and TFA. 

Fully agree on the TIE Bomber and Slave 1 and AT-AT in 1:72 (not sure if it has to be "PG" (whatever Perfect Grade means apart from an astronomic price tag). In fact I would also love the Lamda/Tydirium Shuttle in 1:72. What has put me of buying the PG Falcon is the fact that I have the inferior FM Falcon (god - inferior is really harsh...) and have huge difficulties to justify (let alone pay) the asking price. Besides I prefer the ESB version over the ANH. Which leads me straight to TLJ kits: None of the designs do really interest me.

Regarding the tiny Blockade Runner I would love to see a larger version - something between 30 and 60 cm. And a Jawa Sandcrawler in 1:72 (if my math is right, looking at some pictures it should be around 20 cm high).

How about a 1:12 Probe Droid and IG88?

Not sure what to expect of Ep9 after TLJ. RO was great. Wait and see...

3 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

How about a 1:12 Probe Droid 

Your wish has been answered ? 

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/05/in-boxed-112th-scale-imperial-probe.html?m=1

I think there was a build last summer here in the Sci-fi section ? 

• Like 1

Certainly not what was expecting but pretty exciting! Seeing more capital ships is always good. 

I'm sure the first complaint will be the size but I think 32cm will be ideal with Bandai's level of detailing. Hopefully the lighting kit won't inflate the price too much. 

1/5000 would be perfect for a vehicle model Nebulon B at around 5cm. 

The lit areas of the superstructure are moulded in clear plastic so no fiddly fibre optics to deal with.  Paint the areas then drill into the clear to produce points of light.

From a cost point of view the lit version is 12,960Yen (about £91) and the unlit version is 7,560Yen (about £54) so not as expensive as some have suggested.

Confirmed at 320mm long and due in a galaxy near you in August.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...