Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Mike

On 07/09/2018 at 15:00, Caerbannog said:

Is it me or does the full helmet look odd?

It's probably larger so you can fit his normal sized scone in it.  If they'd shrunk his head to accomodate the actual sized helmet (given the scale limitations of moulding), he'd have looked a bit of a pin-head, so I guess it's a compromise?  Unless I'm reading it wrong and you just unplug the 3D painted head and plug in his helmeted head, in which case I'm clueless :shrug: Have they 3D painted the control panel too?  One of the pic contrasts the original with the new one :hmmm: I like the missing hand detail ^_^ Might have to add another Darth to my collection :doh:

I doubt the helmet will fit over the head, on the Luke & Han figures you get the original stormtrooper helmet rather than a new one.  The painted head and neck are additional sprues.

The R4 kit has been talked about as you also get the R2 drinks tray from Jabba’s Barge!  Bizarre combo.

3 hours ago, Madmonk said:

The R4 kit has been talked about as you also get the R2 drinks tray from Jabba’s Barge!  Bizarre combo.

That does seem odd.  Wonder if it's a mistake in translation, or summit? :hmmm:

I think we've got to be a bit sceptical of camer angle, distortion (lens & other) and probably a few other factors when we look at these things.  The pic used by @Caerbannog makes him look like a right torpedo head, while the one posted by @G-Saviour looks more realistic.  The eyes are still a bit larger though.  That said, there have been a few versions of the helmet, and even more if you also consider the animated Darth in Rebels.  They went for a more McQuarrie inspired design for that version, IIRC.  Incidentally, the big purple dude (I forget his name) was based on another McQuarrie preliminary sketch of concepts for Chewie :)

I think some pictures of the kit parts might help, though that picture shown by @Caerbannog looks like Vader if he'd been designed by Futurama. 

I've never built 'any' stand-alone Star Wars figures before though given Bandai's superlative creations I am very tempted to dip my toe in the water with the R2 and C3PO kits.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, G-Saviour said:

There's some pictures of a Britmodeller user building up the Vader in this link

And here's some sprue shots (in bags) from HobbySearch

I put off buying this kit for a really long time as I saw the pictures shown above and felt that the helmet was really off from being screen accurate. However, after finally buying it, the helmet looks great in person and it seems like it doesn't photograph all that well. Painted, it looks really close to the real thing. Having said that, there are a great deal of problems with the rest of the kit. The cape needs replacing and the hasbro one from their black series figure isn't a great replacement as it comes with a really ugly and large chain. The inner cape is hard plastic and due to the design of the model can't be easily discarded for a soft goods option. I would say, this kit requires a lot of work to look good, not because of the helmet though. The recent 40th anniversary Vader from Hasbro's black series looks better than this kit and unless you want to pose it without the helmet, the new edition of the kit won't be any better.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gzh2310 said:

I put off buying this kit for a really long time as I saw the pictures shown above and felt that the helmet was really off from being screen accurate. However, after finally buying it, the helmet looks great in person and it seems like it doesn't photograph all that well. Painted, it looks really close to the real thing. Having said that, there are a great deal of problems with the rest of the kit. The cape needs replacing and the hasbro one from their black series figure isn't a great replacement as it comes with a really ugly and large chain. The inner cape is hard plastic and due to the design of the model can't be easily discarded for a soft goods option. I would say, this kit requires a lot of work to look good, not because of the helmet though. The recent 40th anniversary Vader from Hasbro's black series looks better than this kit and unless you want to pose it without the helmet, the new edition of the kit won't be any better.

The ROTJ Vader kit'll have a rubber cape like the Kylo Ren kit, which IMHO looks better than cloth.

10556965a2.jpg

Specifically, the outer cape will be fully rubber, and only the lower half of the inner cape (because the upper half won't impede articulation) will be rubber.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Wulf said:

Yes, it's the start of the new droid line. And the next droid will have an additional serving tray for R2 as a goodie.

Although bizarrely, the drinks tray doesn't come with a R2 kit it comes with the R4-I9 Droid kit so you will need to purchase a separate R2 kit to use it!!

I mean if you've been buying the droids I'm sure you have a spare R2 unit lying around, considering he was packed with R5, BB-8, and C-3PO prior to the Rocket Booster ver. 

Otherwise, it's a subtle hint to get the new R2.

49 minutes ago, Neil Lambess said:

I haven't got my R2 Sprues handy to check but was his dome on a seperate sprue ?   If not then you may get a standard r2d2 kit with a seperate sprue with the cone head Droid dome and drinks trat as a seperate add on. ?

it's the c1 silver sprue and the blue sprue.

http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/sw07/sw07_i.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Bandai are making the most of old moulds!!

R2-Q5 due Jan 19 and R5-J2 in March so sold as separate kits this time rather than twin set!

Okeh8sL.jpg

But not half the price of the original twin set!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmonk said:

R2-Q5 due Jan 19 and R5-J2 in March so sold as separate kits this time rather than twin set!

Has there been any mention yet as to whether these two will come with any additional accessories like the booster R2 and upcoming R4 do?

Andy:cat:

19 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Has there been any mention yet as to whether these two will come with any additional accessories like the booster R2 and upcoming R4 do?

Andy:cat:

The web site seems to indicate that the R2 unit will have the drinks tray if Google translate is correct, but nothing with the R4 unit, though it is early days and the pages are lacking much info or pictures.

• Like 1