Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Mike

6 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Not cheap though. The list price is higher than the AT-AT.

I know you must get this question a lot, but is it a big 'un? :hmmm:

The inference from the rear pic is that it's lit.  Could that be the reason for the relatively high price?  We may moan, but we'll all have one :doh:

A little shorter than a Y-Wing over all, and less bulk, since it's mainly a wing.

I got the impression, from one of Bandai's earlier announcements, that the LED lighting was a separate set. Maybe they've changed their minds and  are including it with the main kit?

I suppose there's that bulkier stand too, but it hardly seems to justify a large jump in price.

At the price they're quoting, it's likely to get hit with VAT, so I'm guessing we'll be looking at aroung £45 or more.

Andy:cat:

They're already up for about that on eBay with one seller.  The stand looks a bit bigger than a Gundam stand, which you can get here for around a tenner.  If they've included the LEDs though, it starts to look a better proposition.  We shall see :)

The AT-AT stands at about 156mm at 1/144 scale, the B-Wing should be about 235mm high at 1/72 based on 16.9m.  There is a stand rather than the base but the LED unit is not listed as part of the kit, it comes with Display Stand, Laser Effect Parts (the silly clear rods!) and 2 types of canopy (clear and unglazed).

As for VAT it depends what the seller declares on the customs slip, I've had it both ways.  (cue for Mike to come in with a crude comment!! :tease:)

• Haha 1

Maybe Bandai just figured out that they can charge more for their stuff?

I mean I picked up my first vehicles (72) while I still lived in the states for ridiculously low prices like 25 bucks or so US.    After seeing the quality of their stuff, I would pay a little more!

Like I said though, this spoiled me and I have complained about the price of the 1/72 MF  (both PG and reg) as being WAY over priced and yet a LOT of people obviously disagree with me and are quite happy with their purchase of the MF.

So if they know they can charge more it seems reasonable for them to do so.

They have been putting lighting elements in their Yamato kits lately, bumps the price up quite a bit so I can see them applying the same business idea to other kits. Usually an integrated led unit designed for their gundam kits. Guess we'll see, but it looks a lot like one would fit in the engine bay.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, AndyRM101 said:

Not cheap though. The list price is higher than the AT-AT.

On Hobbysearch they state the dimensions of the box at 29.8 x 18.8 x 9.5cm.

Edited by Mick4350

3 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

On Hobbysearch they state the dimensions of the box at 29.8 x 18.8 x 9.5cm.

That's pretty much the same box size they used for the other fighters, just a little deeper. The other fighter boxes are about 7cm deep, while the AT-AT box was the same length and width but 13cm deep, although most of that was to allow for the slide moulded hull.

I still doubt we'll get the LED set included in the box, so I guess most of the price increase is maybe because it's a slightly more complex build, and maybe just a general wholesale price increase as well.

If you look at the translation of the text on this page it says "Reproduce the wing deployment and cockpit rotation gimmick", which could either mean the wings are simply posable and the cockpit can freely spin, or it could mean they've added some kind of gearing so the wings work in unison and perhaps added a weight to the cockpit so it self-levels, which could explain a higher price point.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. Still seems to be on the pricey side to me, but who am I kidding, I'll be getting one anyway. I need a B-Wing in my life.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Still seems to be on the pricey side to me, but who am I kidding, I'll be getting one anyway. I need a B-Wing in my life.

I think that sums it up nicely :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think that sums it up nicely :)

I think we could also argue the case to HMRC that, unlike chocolate biscuits, B-Wings should be VAT free. I could live without choccy biccies (at least for a couple of days), but I can't live without a B-Wing. Surely they can be classified as everyday essentials.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AndyRM101 said:

Surely they can be classified as everyday essentials.

Seems fair :yes: You produce the petition and I'll sign it :clown:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BackToZeon said:

I hope those are actual model kits and not SH figuarts action figure.

Pretty certain they're kits. They were displayed with other kit promotional material, like the Solo Falcon in the background of the shot below. Normally, the figuart stuff is a separate section.

tt135.jpg

• Like 3

Hunting around for the B-wing release date I came across this little thing, ok I'm not interested in the 1:144 X-wing more the Death Star tile pieces.

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/death_star_attack_set.html

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, andygif290368 said:

Hunting around for the B-wing release date I came across this little thing, ok I'm not interested in the 1:144 X-wing more the Death Star tile pieces.

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/death_star_attack_set.html

I love those little Bandai model kits (so full of details despite the size) I'm going to buy one (maybe more, it looks perfect for a gift) asap

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2018 at 12:57, AndyRM101 said:

Pretty certain they're kits. They were displayed with other kit promotional material, like the Solo Falcon in the background of the shot below. Normally, the figuart stuff is a separate section.

tt135.jpg

You were right:

source

PREODER STARTS ON 20 TH JUNE, 2018
 1/12 R2-D2(ロケットブースターVer.)ROCKET BOOSTER VERSION
 1/12 R4-I9 「ドロイド・コレクション」DROID COLLECTION

Dfy1WuCU0AAvPYI.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BackToZeon said:

You were right:

source

PREODER STARTS ON 20 TH JUNE, 2018
 1/12 R2-D2(ロケットブースターVer.)ROCKET BOOSTER VERSION
 1/12 R4-I9 「ドロイド・コレクション」DROID COLLECTION

Dfy1WuCU0AAvPYI.jpg

That 2nd one isn't an R3 droid, is it? It would have been cool to see a collection of an R2, R3, R4 and R5 together, although i don't know how they'd really do the R3's opaque dome easily.

6 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

That 2nd one isn't an R3 droid, is it?

Sadly not. I don't think Bandai could do an R3 with their current astromech dome. There's too much internal structure that would show up if it was moulded in clear. I guess it would be possible to slide mould a clear dome so maybe they'll do one in the future. I hope they do, as it would be nice to complete the set.

The two black ones are R2-Q5 and R5-J2, both Imperial droids. They were both shown alongside the reworked R2-D2 and R4, but they didn't have release dates or prices. The new promo shot kind of implies that R2 and R4-I9 will be sold together, like the previous R2/R5 set, but the info cards from the  Tokyo show list different release dates and prices. September and 2,300 yen for R2 and November and 2,100 for R4-I9.

tt130.jpg

tt132.jpg

Hopefully, they're not being sold individually now. 2,100 yen is around the price of the original R2/R5 set, so if these are sold separately at the same price it's a big increase. I suppose it's possible that we'll get one of the black ones included with each. R2-D2 with R5-J2 and R4-I9 with R2-Q5.

The black ones make sense as releases as there's no re-tooling required. They just need moulding in black rather than white. It will make it a little harder if you want to repaint then as different droids though.