Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Mike

As the other topic has tripped the 40 page rule for chat-based stuff (a bit late I know), here's the new topic for posting up details about the latest releases.  You can find the old topic here. :)

• Like 1

So I hope with the new thread we haven't lost everyone.

In any case I was wondering if Bandai will ever release the 1:48 X-Wing (moving edition) as a normal model edition. That base looks very plasticy to me, and I'd prefer it as a normal model. Should be cheaper too.

Guess no one knows for sure, but have they ever done other "moving editions" then followed up with a standard edition ??

Also open to any suggestions on how to modify the stand or cover it up somehow. I was contemplating somehow making a death star base to cover over the main black base bit.

bandai_xwingmoving001

Edited by Portaler

You can remove the X-wing from the stand to display it with landing gear. There are panels to cover up where the electronics attach to the stand. So basically, you can display it any way you want: lit up on the stand, in-flight mode on a different stand, or landed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Portaler said:

In any case I was wondering if Bandai will ever release the 1:48 X-Wing (moving edition) as a normal model edition. That base looks very plasticy to me, and I'd prefer it as a normal model. Should be cheaper too.

I'm hoping they will eventually. I'd prefer it as a regular kit without all the extras. They do seem to be focusing on the small scale stuff at the moment though, apart from the Falcon obviously.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2

I presume by 'moving' you mean the wings open?

So, a hangar base, on it's gear, plugged into a power cart.

The control buttons could be disguised as oil drums 

or something similar? or even an R2 unit?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, iSteve said:

You can remove the X-wing from the stand to display it with landing gear. There are panels to cover up where the electronics attach to the stand. So basically, you can display it any way you want: lit up on the stand, in-flight mode on a different stand, or landed.

OK didn't know that. I'd be keen for an in flight look. This means that theoretically you could take it off the stand, modify the under "cover panels" to allow a thinner tube to hold it "in flight".

I assume for the adventurous the stand base could be disassembled and the wires run up the tube to the X-Wing to maintain the lighting for example.

What do you think Steve ? Could that work ?

Why do I always seem to want to do the difficult route ??

Edited by Portaler

11 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

I'm hoping they will eventually. I'd prefer it as a regular kit without all the extras. They do seem to be focusing on the small scale stuff at the moment though, apart from the Falcon obviously.

Andy:cat:

Yeah, it wouldn't be a big job for them to do it as a regular kit. So perhaps at some point they'll get to it.

9 hours ago, Portaler said:

OK didn't know that. I'd be keen for an in flight look. This means that theoretically you could take it off the stand, modify the under "cover panels" to allow a thinner tube to hold it "in flight".

I assume for the adventurous the stand base could be disassembled and the wires run up the tube to the X-Wing to maintain the lighting for example.

What do you think Steve ? Could that work ?

Why do I always seem to want to do the difficult route ??

I don't see why not. The only part you'd want to keep - aside from the wires - is the interface plug, although I think you could break it down even further, if you keep your wits about you :)

Caveat - I have the kit, but I haven't built it.

Not a huge fan of the bulky base either, so I’m hoping to thin down the arm and integrate the actual base into a custom one by having it slightly ‘sunken’. Haven’t had a proper look at the base yet to see how feasible my plan is, but I’m hoping to be able to do something along those lines with it. The kit parts themselves look lovely and crisp on the sprues though. 

17 hours ago, R0ver said:

Not a huge fan of the bulky base either, so I’m hoping to thin down the arm and integrate the actual base into a custom one by having it slightly ‘sunken’. Haven’t had a proper look at the base yet to see how feasible my plan is, but I’m hoping to be able to do something along those lines with it. The kit parts themselves look lovely and crisp on the sprues though. 

Will be interested in your progress Rover :-) Just looking at that picture up above in the previous post again. That stand is reeeaaallly ugly ! You owe it to the Star Wars and broader Bandai modelling community to do something about "that stand" ! :-)

Someone has also started something similar on RPF, but only 3 posts or so. Nothing really started yet.

Anyway back on topic....am wondering what TLJ will bring. No doubt the Poe X-Wing with turbo booster. (or have they already shown that ? I saw it somewhere). Those frigates look too big. Maybe one of those skimmer things on Krait along the red surface ?? Not much else really springs to mind. Wish they would bring out a revised B-Wing. Everyone wants one of those !

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Portaler said:

Anyway back on topic....am wondering what TLJ will bring. No doubt the Poe X-Wing with turbo booster. (or have they already shown that ? I saw it somewhere). Those frigates look too big. Maybe one of those skimmer things on Krait along the red surface ?? Not much else really springs to mind. Wish they would bring out a revised B-Wing. Everyone wants one of those !

I wouldn't be against Bandai releasing Kylo’s TIE silencer and the Resistance bomber. Both those designs have really grown on me. I could imagine them at 1/72 and 1/144 respectively. The Silencer looks like a blend of Vader’s Advanced and the Interceptor. The engines look very nice in the latest trailer too. 

Re. Poe’s Boosted X-Wing, Bandai are releasing (or maybe have already) a 1/72 kit. There’s pictures of it floating about somewhere. 

3 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Thanks, didn't think of checking Scalemates! Wow, there's a lot more than i thought there were.

Is around £25 - 30 the average sort of price for the 1/72 scale ships (or like the 1/48 AT-ST)? I've seen prices vary quite a bit but they seem to usually be around that price at the cheapest from what i've found.

15 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Thanks, didn't think of checking Scalemates! Wow, there's a lot more than i thought there were.

Is around £25 - 30 the average sort of price for the 1/72 scale ships (or like the 1/48 AT-ST)? I've seen prices vary quite a bit but they seem to usually be around that price at the cheapest from what i've found.

If you buy from Amazon or eBay have a good look round as prices vary!  The 1/72 A-Wing can set you back £20 from one seller and £55 from another.  There is also the risk of being hit with a customs charge depending on the value of your order.  The Y-Wing will probably set you back £36 and the Falcon anything from £40.

Few UK sellers, Cool-Japan is one and I have a small selection I take to shows if your interested.

:lol: unless you have Prime of course, although something tells me that their delivery prognosis might be a tad over-optimistic! :doh:  I have a feeling they either screwed up, or I got the last one in the UK.  That said, the shop was Toy Shop Japan Hobbyone, so the inference there would be that it might be at least slightly based in Japan, which is confirmed by a quick check :hmmm:  Oh well - not my problem :shrug: Dunno how I missed the A-Wing vehicle model... I think I must be slipping :blush:

2 hours ago, Madmonk said:

If you buy from Amazon or eBay have a good look round as prices vary!  The 1/72 A-Wing can set you back £20 from one seller and £55 from another.  There is also the risk of being hit with a customs charge depending on the value of your order.  The Y-Wing will probably set you back £36 and the Falcon anything from £40.

Few UK sellers, Cool-Japan is one and I have a small selection I take to shows if your interested.

Yeah, customs is a bit of a concern. Would rather order from the UK if possible but most places seem to either be in Japan or have extremely high postage costs slapped ontop of what would otherwise be a reasonable price.

Looking at some of the threads about these from a while back, it seems the Y-wing used to be quite a bit cheaper than that!