Meng Fiat G.91 R1 1:72

This very little model is mixed up with a certain amount of Revell, because Mengs kit is not a perfect one. It took more than 100 hrs to build. I love the Gina!

G-91_2013e

• Like 39

Thank you! Interesting, Thud4444! They flew them against double wheeled A-4 and F-5 in Fort Rucker. Two of three Ginas were lost, one sadly killed Pilot was Riccardo Bignamini.

G-91_2013f

• Like 4

So, we are Britmodellers here: This R1 is all BSC 381C  like all italian Canadair Sabres: British colors with italian names, Dark Green, Dark Sea Gray, PRU Blue, all glossy.

The R1 0042, the R3 0065 (i think not the T1 0002) got FS 28915/RAL 2005 Fluorescent Red in Alabama, before airlift they were standard. I use Humbrol 192 or Model Master 1775E for that color.

G-91_2013a

• Like 7

The german R3 had different Norm 72 colors, the T1 twoseater had a special livery.

Dont wonder. One year late i found new pictures showing some new details 

and the big army letters on the upper and lower wings and the regular color on the rear end. I changed that. So this Gina is finished two times!

My Gina is preserved in Italy (where else)

Millionmonkeytheater is a good source for Gina search

Fiat G-91R/1 c/n 052 MM6286

1961: Evaluated by the US Army for possible purchase, with the c/n “60-052” marked on the tail.

2/1/1961: Crashed at Fort Rucker, AL. Pilot was killed.

Fiat G-91R/3 c/n 065

BD+105.

1961: Evaluated by the US Army for possible purchase, with the c/n “60-065” marked on the tail.
7/27/1961: Crashed during a JATO take-off from Kirtland AFB, NM. Pilot was killed.

G-91_2013k

Edited by replicant
typo
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, replicant said:

This very little model is mixed up with a certain amount of Revell, because Mengs kit is not a perfect one. It took more than 100 hrs to build. I love the Gina!

G-91_2013e

Would appreciate any comments on Meng's imperfections. I'm about to start it so would be great to get any advice on the pitfalls.

Many thanks, 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello Dennis

This is the best kit in small scale but by far not perfect. Reviews were overenthousiastic, followed by some hangover on the builders side. To make a real good model you need the Revell kit to mix with. Only flat canopy, wrong cross section, well covers, jet pipe, lacking detail in LG well, LG, cockpit and has no intake interior. US Army lettering on wings omitted in kit. I finished this a second time one year later after i found new, never published pictures (and then on decals on aftermarket). I altered also some inaccuracies of mine after the model was in ModellFan 2014/01 (maybe you get a glimpse on that)

You can also view my project here with more pictures     https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=34480&p=projects&project=35017

• Like 1

Hi replicant,

I had a look of your photoes and magazine article. That is really helpful material. I agree Meng lacks details in the cockpit (I've got Pavla resin), undercarriage (probably need to scratch build here) and no intake/exhaust which is not typical by modern standards. No transparencies for photo cam windows is an omission too - I plan to drill these out and make transparent inserts. Also only flat canopy provided - so perhaps only machines in early part of their career can be built. 

And BTW a perfect Gina from you! I like its appearance with dayglo patches. Looks really nice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, replicant said:

Thank you! You will need the early lower explosives seat, the canopy got higher because of the new rocket seat (in cockpit set, doesnt fit)

Okay... So looks like i have to search for MB mk.4IW bang seat :) Cockpit set definitely contains mk.6

And the replacement occurred somewhere in mid 70s. 

Another outstanding model! Really good appearance of the  day-glo, too. (A very hard color to get looking like something other than a painted plastic toy, if that makes any sense!) I love this scheme and I have always had a soft spot for the little Eytie 'baby' Sabre! Well done, sir! Thanks for the heads-up on the kit issues, too.

Mike

Thank you Mike!

The Ginas were all around from the 60ies here in Bavaria. We live 30 km from the ex- bombing range Siegenburg.

There was a buzzing around, even the Thuds from Bitburg, later Spangdalem flew over until  about 1967! I loved that (born 1960)

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2017 at 14:56, replicant said:

Hello replicant

I am a model builder from Italy.. I am working on a big G91 (scale 1:3,3).

This is a radio controlled model with jet engine.

I am doing the same version (0042 Fort Worth) but is very difficult to find detailed photos. (only some shot in low quality on the web).

I see your work is very accurate..:yes:.. can you help me to find a good documentation of the full scale airplane?.

Thanks in advance

L'immagine può contenere: aeroplano

Mauro

• Like 3

On 10.10.2017 at 11:20 AM, replicant said:

This is the best kit in small scale but by far not perfect. Reviews were overenthousiastic, followed by some hangover on the builders side. To make a real good model you need the Revell kit to mix with. Only flat canopy, wrong cross section, well covers, jet pipe, lacking detail in LG well, LG, cockpit and has no intake interior. US Army lettering on wings omitted in kit. I finished this a second time one year later after i found new, never published pictures (and then on decals on aftermarket). I altered also some inaccuracies of mine after the model was in ModellFan 2014/01 (maybe you get a glimpse on that)

Perhaps I too the radical in the MENG assessment, but I made an impression that a nose part MENG fuselage to beginning of a wing completely incorrectly

1456602423_Meng_VS_photo.jpg

and is subject replacement on a nose part Revell the form of which seems to me more correct.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark