This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

whitestar12chris

SMW 2017 Telford 11th & 12th November

4 hours ago, Gordon J said:

I did ask the Airfix guys if we could expect a 1/48 Blenheim Mk IV after the Mk I is released and was given an unequivocal NO. The Blenheim Mk I is apparently being tooled as a stand alone kit.

Gordon

That makes no sense at all. The changes required beyond the new nose are not that extensive, as Airfix showed with their 1/72nd scale kit.

16 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

I  cannot believe that someone can be so  stupid and anal selling Tshirts badges and  mugs  to fellow  IPMS members

I can.

3 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Anyone know why the women was shouting and screaming on the SAM stand today?

Bit of entertainment went down well

Did you break the restraining order and go within 50 feet of her? :D

7 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

She had just been told that Airfix weren't going to scale down their 1:48 Walrus to 1:72.

Seriously. I don't know as I wasn't there when it happened, though someone on our club stand said she appeared to have a grievance about something.

Edited by 3DStewart

9 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Bit of entertainment went down well

Had you "borrowed" her wristband perhaps ???

:)

7 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Did you break the restraining order and go within 50 feet of her? :D

Not my type  far too mouthy

3 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Had you "borrowed" her wristband perhaps ???

:)

:fraidnot:Not me  kept well away 

5 hours ago, Gordon J said:

I did ask the Airfix guys if we could expect a 1/48 Blenheim Mk IV after the Mk I is released and was given an unequivocal NO. The Blenheim Mk I is apparently being tooled as a stand alone kit.

Gordon

Looking at the CAD drawings that appeared in Workbench I'd say that both a Mk. IV and V could well be in our futures: the area around the dorsal turret looks to be a separate component, allowing for the different turret on the latter mark.  There's a similar differentiation in the rendering of the front fuselage.  All three major production versions of the Blenheim were involved in actions which yielded VCs, at least two of them posthumous which could generate additional sales.  There are all the usual reasons for "doing" all three variants: the multiplicity of colour schemes, operating units and commands within British forces and export customers.  Come on Airfix: you know you really, REALLY, want to.

Just got home after another great weekend at Telford. Just wanted to call out the IPMS 'core' team for putting on another superb event this year. I have been a regular exhibitor for years but decided this year to also contribute a couple of hours as a 'gash hand' for the IPMS Committee and thoroughly enjoyed myself, managed to put one or two names to faces and met a couple of new people too. The work that the regular team put in to organising this event each year is staggering and if one or two others gave up just one or two hours over the weekend to help out, the event organisation would be even smoother; these guys deserve a break too...after all they are modelling enthusiasts too !. 

As I say, another great weekend though my departure was tinged with some sadness...on my way out the door heard that the great Dick (R.L.) Ward or Modedecal fame passed away earlier today. I hadn't seen Dick for a couple of years but knew him well and always found him very knowledgeable and a true gentleman of the 'old school'.

R.I.P. Dick - you will be missed    

4 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

As I say, another great weekend though my departure was tinged with some sadness...on my way out the door heard that the great Dick (R.L.) Ward or Modedecal fame passed away earlier today. I hadn't seen Dick for a couple of years but knew him well and always found him very knowledgeable and a true gentleman of the 'old school'.

Very sad news and echo your sentiments although I had never had the privilege of meeting Dick.

7 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

As I say, another great weekend though my departure was tinged with some sadness...on my way out the door heard that the  Dick (R.L.) Ward or Modedecal fame passed away earlier today. I hadn't seen Dick for a couple of years but knew him well and always found him very knowledgeable and a true gentleman of the 'old school'.

Modeldecals' instruction sheets set a standard that some manufacturers haven't yet reached, let alone surpassed, use of colour notwithstanding.  The quality of printing was also excellent, many very small stencils being clearly legible.  I never met Dick Ward but his work always impressed me and I think the modelling world has become a little poorer for his passing.  RIP Sir.

Really sad to hear of Dick's passing. I'd never have been able to model half the subjects in my collection without his superb decals. Modeldecal is one of very few companies from the golden era whose products have stood the test of time.

Blue skies, Mr Ward.

22 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Any pictures of the modelling for those that can't be there?

Here's a few of my pictures.

Edited by Tbolt

9 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

She had just been told that Airfix weren't going to scale down their 1:48 Walrus to 1:72.

Seriously. I don't know as I wasn't there when it happened, though someone on our club stand said she appeared to have a grievance about something.

On Facebook they're saying it's to do with non-payment for some work her husband did for the magazine. It doesn't affect me at all and I don't use thag mag anyway.

We thought it ran pretty well actually. We had many visitors from this forum, from Modelwarships.com and both staff and writers to some mags. We also did some catching up with suppliers and other small business owners alike. I'm currently sat in the Telford Central Premier Inn having tea after catching up on sleep. It'll soon be time to knock on Stew Dapple's door and seat ourselves in that Transit van for another 9 hours of joy back up north :)

2 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It'll soon be time to knock on Stew Dapple's door and seat ourselves in that Transit van for another 9 hours of joy back up north :)

ahh - the pleasures of the open road :)

5 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It'll soon be time to knock on Stew Dapple's door and seat ourselves in that Transit van for another 9 hours of joy back up north :)

In the name of humanity, breakfast first please! :)

Cheers,

Stew

5 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Cheers,

Stew

Its a bit much when the staff want feeding as well

26 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Cheers,

Stew

OK, but you're paying for it yourself (along with everything else).

I'm with Tiger331 on this, a great show with a few very minor troubles run by volunteers, what's to moan at? If you're not happy then put your name forward to help make it run smoother.

This weekend I witnessed first hand the generosity and care shown in ensuring this show is put on for the benefit of us modellers, on Friday and Sunday the IPMS staff helped me set-up and remove my 1/35 Landing craft diorama, for that I'm very grateful indeed. 

Thanks also for for the person who commented on my Wessex 3 in a field diorama, a bit of fun with a group of like minded modellers.

I'd like to also send my condolences to the founder of aftermarket decals, a great legacy sir, RIP.

Cheers the Woo.

8 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

OK, but you're paying for it yourself (along with everything else).

That's  ok  but  can i put it on the expenses

15 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Although we were only there for the Saturday it was another very enjoyable time at IPMS UK Scale Model World at Telford, it was good to catch up with old friends and make new ones and put faces to names @Head in the clouds. and @TheBaron good to meet you guys and we really enjoyed the chat. I would also like to thank Gary @Meteor74 and Paul @mcdonnell for the support and help as always! 

oQgfu2.jpg

John

John - where the heck was the Canberra table???? What limited time I had getting away from my stand I mostly spent running around all 3 halls trying to find your Canberra, I even tasked my wife and a friend with it and they couldn't find it either...

Really should have just asked you, but I forgot at the time.

Jeffrey

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

On Facebook they're saying it's to do with non-payment for some work her husband did for the magazine. It doesn't affect me at all and I don't use thag mag anyway.

Never thought of sending the wife although a Solicitor's Letter was a waste of effort , maybe we could form a SIG.

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

One other thing I saw on club tables, was a remarkable model of  ..... a club table! Complete with club member nonchalantly drinking a cup of tea. Step forward West Middlesex Model club for one of the most orginal models I saw yesterday.

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

This one:

IMG_7215.jpg

Regards,

Adrian

Im glad you liked, many thanks for the comments, it certainly did its job, lots of smiles, giggles and oohs during the two days.

All the best Chris

3 minutes ago, whitestar12chris said:

Im glad you liked, many thanks for the comments, it certainly did its job, lots of smiles, giggles and oohs during the two days.

All the best Chris

Chris, was it you I spoke to about it?

I thought it represented the spirit of the hobby, lots of fun, and as I said, probably the most original model I saw in the club tables.