RAN A4G SKYHAWK

CJP

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Had a read through from the start and enjoyed watching your progress.That's some impressive detail you're adding :speak_cool:

Thanks for those kind comments Col - I know it's not on BM but if you like A4 Skyhawks have a look at this mans superb build of a RNZAF Kahu  A4K .

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/34146-trumpeter-132-rnzaf-a-4k-kahu-upgrade/

CJP

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CJP said:

Thanks for those kind comments Col - I know it's not on BM but if you like A4 Skyhawks have a look at this mans superb build of a RNZAF Kahu  A4K .

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/34146-trumpeter-132-rnzaf-a-4k-kahu-upgrade/

CJP

There's some nice work, inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing the link CJP 

• 5 weeks later...

Time for another update on my A4G - not a lot to offer up but what I managed to do was time consuming & fiddly.

Added a bit more paint to the Ejection seat & will probably just give it a clear matt coat to stop the parachute pack looking shiny - there were seven dimples moulded into the parachute pack and these were filled in after referring to this fine Brazilian A4 build by GDW -

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/75765-brazilian-af-1/&page=4d on LSP

IMG_7653.jpgIMG_7665.jpg

Next up I had to push mould the wing tip navigation lights as the kit parts had long since disappeared - took lots of attempts to get two acceptable clear covers - I painted the inside of the moulding with Tamiya Red and Green clear for the port/starboard coloured sections - I will probably fix them in place with Testors Clear Parts Cement when  the time comes - I'm a bit wary of using CA for this & clouding the clear parts.

IMG_7629.jpgIMG_7630.jpg

I then decided to try and make the aileron and rudder pushrods & linkage a bit more realistic than the moulded on parts in the kit.

IMG_7632.jpgIMG_7639.jpgIMG_7641.jpgIMG_7643.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 6

Hi CJP. Joined up so I can follow along here. Great job with everything! Restoring this older model adds a dimension to your WIP thread that I like too.

Have you come to a decision on paint/markings yet? 

Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GDW said:

Hi CJP. Joined up so I can follow along here. Great job with everything! Restoring this older model adds a dimension to your WIP thread that I like too.

Have you come to a decision on paint/markings yet? 

Greg

Hi Greg

thanks for your comments - for a change I thought I would try an early RAN scheme around 1969 to early 1970's I think with red/white rudder checks and straight refuelling probe - I have seen 1/32 models of RAN Skyhawks done with large red/white checks on the fin and also the later two tone grey scheme but not the early scheme - the only reservation I have is masking the "corrugated" surface of the rudder to paint those red/white checks on it - if the checks don't look any good I will try one of the later schemes .

IMG_7691.jpg0d91267f7d4cc72dca615290f559d175.jpg

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oops, I missed this update...I need to get to Britmodeller more often!  

Nice work on the wingtip lights, might do the same after seeing the effect it gives...ta!  I like your choice of scheme too, very nice!

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony - after positive comments from yourself and GDW I have been toying with the idea of posting the WIP at its current state of progress on LSP too & continuing it on both websites  - with maybe a link back to the full WIP on BM? - what do you think?

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris, you are doing some detail work on your build. :thumbsup:

I finished one of these a couple of years ago and did it in the last camo scheme for an ex- maintainer who looked after them.

Anyway, are you aware Hawkeye Models Australia have the decals for the scheme you are after, the sheet is RAN12C

20 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Hi Chris, you are doing some detail work on your build. :thumbsup:

I finished one of these a couple of years ago and did it in the last camo scheme for an ex- maintainer who looked after them.

Anyway, are you aware Hawkeye Models Australia have the decals for the scheme you are after, the sheet is RAN12C

Thanks for that Ray - I will have a look at Hawkeye's website - do you know if all of the decal sets are currently available? - the sheet would make life easier

CJP

59 minutes ago, CJP said:

Thanks Anthony - after positive comments from yourself and GDW I have been toying with the idea of posting the WIP at its current state of progress on LSP too & continuing it on both websites  - with maybe a link back to the full WIP on BM? - what do you think?

Chris

That would be awesome Chris!  I will be sure not to miss any updates then!  Loving this build.

I've had to redesign the Kahu inst panel but I am sure the end result will be worth it.

Cheers

Anthony

6 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

That would be awesome Chris!  I will be sure not to miss any updates then!  Loving this build.

I've had to redesign the Kahu inst panel but I am sure the end result will be worth it.

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony I have always like the look of the RNZAF Skyhawks in the three colour wrap around camouflage and later overall green schemes - You have  me thinking about doing a Kahu Skyhawk one day - maybe a TA4K like you are doing so will be following the development of your Kahu panels.

Chris

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Chris

I think that's a great idea, your build will go over well on LSP for sure. Yeah, use the link and post the early bits at a later date if you feel like it. Fortunately, so far there are just three pages to date so that's doable if you decide you would like to flesh out the whole thing over there. Looking forward to more wherever you post it! 

Greg

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Cheers

Anthony

1 hour ago, GDW said:

I think that's a great idea, your build will go over well on LSP for sure. Yeah, use the link and post the early bits at a later date if you feel like it. Fortunately, so far there are just three pages to date so that's doable if you decide you would like to flesh out the whole thing over there. Looking forward to more wherever you post it! 

Greg

Ok Anthony & Greg I have commenced a A4G WIP on LSM with a link back to here

Chris

13 hours ago, CJP said:

Thanks for that Ray - I will have a look at Hawkeye's website - do you know if all of the decal sets are currently available? - the sheet would make life easier

CJP

Some sheets are printed to order, he has the white backing decals screen printed elsewhere. So am unsure if the whites are in stock at the moment.

I can ask him, I chat to him every week.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well I'm hoping that the new years modelling on the A4G will improve after a ropey start - first I wanted to see if I could paint the red/white checks on the rudder which was an early scheme and would mean I would fit a straight refuelling probe - later schemes would need the bent probe.

This is why I tried the rudder checks now before I finished the construction of the model.

I masked the checks with Tamiya tape after spraying a base of Tamiya flat white - this was followed by Tamiya flat red

IMG_8546.jpgIMG_8547.jpgIMG_8548.jpgIMG_8549.jpg

The results when I pulled the tape off were not so good especially with the checks on the external ribs of the rudder -  the more I tried to neaten it up with a brush the more messy it got until I cleaned it all off and sprayed the base white again and started thinking about an alternative scheme maybe with the red/white checks on the fin.

IMG_8553.jpgIMG_8554.jpg

Next the right hand airbrake departed into another dimension so I had to fabricate a new one from plastic scrap and sheet - I did not model the interior because I wanted to pose the airbrakes closed or just cracked open - the left hand kit part and my cobbled up airbrake are in the photo below.

I was hoping the RH airbrake might magically reappear but I've searched everywhere with no luck so I guess that's not going to happen.

IMG_8556.jpgIMG_8558.jpgIMG_8560.jpg

CJP

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure I've seen it discussed but can't find it anywhere - can anyone advise what colour the underneath of the RAN A4G slats were? - I thought I read they were white & not red like the slat bed they sit in.

CJP

Edited by CJP

• CJP changed the title to RAN A4G SKYHAWK SLAT COLOUR?
57 minutes ago, FAAMAN said:

Correct, gloss white under the slats :coolio:

Thanks FAAMAN much appreciated! - from what I can see in photos the very ends are red?

Edited by CJP