RAN A4G SKYHAWK

CJP

Hi Steve Long or any other ex RAN Skyhawk maintainers - I'm embarking on a long term restoration of an old 1/32 Hasegawa A4 Skyhawk of mine that ended up on the SOD - just wondering if I can get some guidance on the cockpit colours - I've seen some colour photos and it looks basically a mix of light greys & black instruments - ejection seat and parachute packs colours too - specifically looking for RAN A4G colours for the cockpit which I assume might be standard USN? - I am in the process of fitting an Avionics resin cockpit set.

CJP

• Like 2

CJ,

I think you will find the cockpit was the same as USN birds. Found this inst panel image at the Aussie Skyhawk Tales website

A4G_Cockpit.jpg

and this cockpit image on a RAN Skyhawk FB page

1078873_10201551776493922_1135832344_o.j

A better shot showing more of the cockpit, A4-G on left, Kahu on the right

11390276_10205148695970339_7729819510309

Hi CJP,

There’s some good comments on colours, etc in this thread I started on an RAN TA-4G. Sadly, this one is still on my shelf. Andrew

Thanks abat - this is exactly the kind of information I wanted - some interesting photos on your TA4G build - I feel like I'm getting somewhere with the cockpit colours now - also noted Steve's comments on seats etc - my Hasegawa A4G is a bit of a train wreck now I decided to pull it apart but I think it is going to work out eventually - a nice kit worth a bit of TLC

IMG_5923.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 4

Great. I’ll follow your build closely as it will help and inspire me to finish off mine. Great camouflage scheme on those late RAN Skyhawks. 

Thanks abat - I have not considered a WIP as I was not even sure if I would be able to get the Avionix cockpit and Aires wheel bay set fitted successfully to my trashed Skyhawk - I've got the nosewheel bay to a stage where it looks like it is going to fit and then I will try to slot the cockpit on top of it so the whole build is dependant on making those things work - then we will see.

hope you do get the urge to finish the TA4G as your other RAN models had a good reception on BM

CJP

• Like 1

Our Scooters internals were the same as their USN sisters.

I use Humbrol 140 dark gull grey (the FSN number escapes me the moment)

The only major difference between the aircraft was the colour of the linings on the side walls 

Light grey in some and a apple green similar to that found in the Wessex cockpit, this was in 878

881 and possibly 876.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The only major difference between the aircraft was the colour of the linings on the side walls 

Light grey in some and a apple green similar to that found in the Wessex cockpit, this was in 878

881 and possibly 876.

Cheers Steve - I appreciate your information above and the dark gull grey reference - Romeo Alpha Yankee and abat  have also been most helpful - I really like the way information is shared on BM

CJP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently trying to fit the Aires wheel bay set to my old 1/32  Hasegawa A4 Skyhawk - a dry fit shows a gap between the two wheel bay halves on the centreline - wondering if anyone knows if you should be able to see through from one wheel bay to the other or should it be blanked off with a plastic card strip on the centreline?

IMG_5949.jpgIMG_5958.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2017 at 7:14 AM, NAVY870 said:

881 and possibly 876.

FS for dark gull grey is 36231, Humbrol 140 is a very good match and fortunately many other paint ranges include this colour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Currently trying to fit the Aires wheel bay set to my old 1/32  Hasegawa A4 Skyhawk - a dry fit shows a gap between the two wheel bay halves on the centreline - wondering if anyone knows if you should be able to see through from one wheel bay to the other or should it be blanked off with a plastic card strip on the centreline?

IMG_5949.jpgIMG_5958.jpg

CJP

Aires also give you the well named forward hell hole (forward engine access compartment) as part of the gear wells.

There's two doors that hing on the centre line and swing down for access.

It reality its a wide open space but Aires have molded the "movie can" ammo tanks in place, which is properly poor form unless

the aircraft was loaded for bear and about to go out to play.

You can see the access panels on 76 below, just as easy to close them up.

ehFxfuZ.jpg

As an added bonus there appears to be a damn fine example of English aeronautical engineering keeping 76 company :)

• Like 4

Thanks for that information NAVY870 - I have found it very hard to find photos of those panels and interior & only found one prior to this photo -

pity Aires did not include them in their Gun & Wheel bay kit - I'm inclined to close up the bay like you said unless I suddenly get inspired one day - long term project anyway - lots of interesting detail to absorb in your photo of Skyhawk 876 & of course the Sea Venom lurking in the background - I'm toying with the idea of eventually finishing it in an early scheme with red/white checks on the rudder and straight refuelling probe - can you advise how long they had the straight probe before it changed to the cranked one?

CJP

20 hours ago, CJP said:

can you advise how long they had the straight probe before it changed to the cranked one?

CJP

Very early 70's I would think, the chequed rudder was the last scheme they wore with straight probes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Very early 70's I would think, the chequed rudder was the last scheme they wore with straight probes.

Ok thanks Steve - cant say I've seen a model A4G in that scheme yet so might be something different

CJP

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, Mike said:

Moved to WIP @CJP's request.  Now the pressure's on! :frantic:

Thanks for that Mike - I think that I have got the Skyhawk to the point where it might be a goer so have taken a plunge to do a WIP all going well:huh:

Fitting of the Aires nose wheel bay and Avionix cockpit involved removing a lot of the internal locating points for the cockpit and wheel bay - I also cut out a large rectangular section from underneath the fuselage centre section for access and split the forward fuselage to help get enough room to manipulate the parts in to place -

IMG_5811.jpgIMG_5928.jpgIMG_5804.jpgIMG_5936.jpg

At this point having got the nose wheel bay and cockpit looking like they would squeeze into the Hasegawa A4 I decided to try removing the paintwork using over cleaner for the first time - I was a bit apprehensive but it worked perfectly and I soon had a gleaming plastic pile of parts.

IMG_5972.jpg

Aires nose wheel bay fitted and glued into one fuselage side - the sides do fit when squeezed together

IMG_5966.jpg

Dry fit of cockpit tub below

IMG_5970.jpg

The bottom slab of the Avionix cockpit tub moulding had to be cut off and filed to fit it on top of the Aires nose wheel bay casting (done under running water to avoid resin dust) - modified tub below

IMG_5969.jpgIMG_5974.jpg

Sketch showing dimensions I ended up with to get the cockpit tub to fit

Lots more carving and filing to get the Aires wheel bays to fit the Hasegawa wing - dry fit test below and looks like they will squeeze in with a bit more fettling - the white plastic strips were added following filing the edges straight and where I had cut incorrectly.

IMG_5971.jpg

I feel at this point it's time for me to review progress so far and plan what to do next

CJP

Edited by CJP
postimage.cc
  • Like 9

Does anyone have information on the canopy opening mechanism/hinge on the A4 Skyhawk ? - I've been searching online & in books I have but have not been able to come up with any clear photos or drawings of that area of the rear of the cockpit showing  the linkage/mechanism.

CJP

On 10/23/2017 at 3:56 AM, CJP said:

I'm toying with the idea of eventually finishing it in an early scheme with red/white checks on the rudder and straight refuelling probe - can you advise how long they had the straight probe before it changed to the cranked one?

Didn't the cranked probe appear in '74?

Seem to recall it being mentioned recently, due to fuel going down the intakes with the straight probes.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:50 PM, CJP said:

Does anyone have information on the canopy opening mechanism/hinge on the A4 Skyhawk ? - I've been searching online & in books I have but have not been able to come up with any clear photos or drawings of that area of the rear of the cockpit showing  the linkage/mechanism.

CJP

Under the dreaded red arrow

vNV0wCL.jpg

The refueling probe was changed on the A-4F and its variants and retrofitted to the A-4E.

It was discovered on breakaway of the probe from the basket a small amount of fuel could be ingested 

down the starboard intake. The J-52 would take great offence to such goings on and would compressor stall

with the resulting shock wave causing havoc to the intake ducting and front of the engine with a potential loss

of aircraft.

• Like 1

Thanks again Steve for helping with information on the RAN A4G - also for another close up photo with plenty subtle detail to absorb - hopefully will get back to my A4G in a week or so

CJP

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, NAVY870 said:

Under the dreaded red arrow

vNV0wCL.jpg

The refueling probe was changed on the A-4F and its variants and retrofitted to the A-4E.

It was discovered on breakaway of the probe from the basket a small amount of fuel could be ingested 

down the starboard intake. The J-52 would take great offence to such goings on and would compressor stall

with the resulting shock wave causing havoc to the intake ducting and front of the engine with a potential loss

of aircraft.

Any clear photos or drawings out there showing the rear of the opening canopy hinges and how they attach to the rear cockpit bulkhead - its a pretty dark area in photos I have seen so I haven't been able to make out the hinge details - from what I can make out there is also quite a large nitrogen charged cylinder and ram behind the seat area that attaches to the rear of the canopy for opening - interesting to see the contrast in the above photo between the clean airframe and the grimy underwing fuel tank

CJP