Puma HC-3

JagRigger

When the RAF ordered the Puma HC1 in the early 70’s, it bought the SA-330E model. Over the years the Puma has developed into the rapid deployment vehicle of choice, as well as the only troop transport able to operate into small jungle clearings whist carrying a worthwhile number of troops.

When the RAF started to update the HC1 to HC2 with upgraded engines etc, they also looked closely at the use to which the aircraft were being put. It was realised that considerable time could be saved if the machines could come off the C17 more ‘ready to roll’ ( role J ) as well as minimising chances of tail rotor strikes in confined areas.

As such they revisited the SA-330Z prototype, the only Puma till then to have had a Fenestron. Using a combination of the stored spare HC1’s as well as other 330E’s bought in, 103 Sqn, which disbanded on the Wessex in the mid 70’s,  was re-formed on the Puma HC3. The aircraft carry much the same fit as the HC2, but have fenestron and folding main rotor with enhanced blades, as well as other subtle improvements from the original Z such as AS365 Dauphin style fin endplates.

IMG_3417_1.jpg

IMG_3416_1.jpg

I don't normally do what if, and originally this was going to be the real 330Z, but having started it I couldn't resit doing it as an in service aircraft. The model is the standard Airfix HC1, with a scratch built back end, modified blades and other details.

• Like 18

Great conversion, looks convincing.

I only ever saw one picture of the Fenestron Puma, there must be a 

very good reason why they never went ahead with it back then.

If I remember rightly, we had a Puma downed by a black bin bag

in the tail rotor, way back, but I don't know of any other incidents.

• 1 month later...

"the rapid deployment vehicle of choice, as well as the only troop transport able to operate into small jungle clearings whist carrying a worthwhile number of troops".

Hmm you sure about that shipmate ....i know they did belize and all that and it sure is a preetty cab but ....sea king can lift more and does jungles so hmmmm. :bleh:

But it is a whatif ....nice work too

• 1 year later...

Did a tour of Belize back in '77. One of the squadron aircraft went down in Norway at that time, but that was due to one of the cabin doors coming off and hitting the rear rotor as I recall. Wonder if a fenestron would have saved it? As Belize was so warm, it was decided to remove the cabin doors and continue flying. The cockpit doors had been wire locked shut for a reason that escapes me, but again a hazy memory was something about they would detach themselves from the airframe if a certain speed was exceeded with the cabin doors open... I bet someone here knows the details!

Cockpit doors, well there is only one door the pilots (starboard) this can be opened but is very difficult to get all three pins to engage on closing. So the door is only normally opened during some sort of servicing. The other door is just a jettisonable panel. Both of these are checked for there ability to be jettisonable at regular intervals.

As for folding main rotor blades very difficult to have them fitting in a C-17 trust me I know. If we were in a hurry to fit the main blades it would take my team about 10-15 minutes. If and a big if I had all the manpower available, I could have the aircraft ready to fly within an hour.

Yours ex 230 & 33 Sqn Engineer for 20 years and one of the few to have folded Puma blades not easy task.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 8:39 AM, sammy da fish said:

Cockpit doors, well there is only one door the pilots (starboard) this can be opened but is very difficult to get all three pins to engage on closing. So the door is only normally opened during some sort of servicing. The other door is just a jettisonable panel. Both of these are checked for there ability to be jettisonable at regular intervals.

As for folding main rotor blades very difficult to have them fitting in a C-17 trust me I know. If we were in a hurry to fit the main blades it would take my team about 10-15 minutes. If and a big if I had all the manpower available, I could have the aircraft ready to fly within an hour.

Yours ex 230 & 33 Sqn Engineer for 20 years and one of the few to have folded Puma blades not easy task.

Blinking sight easier than pulling a Merlin out of a C17 and back together.🤬

Nice - I had not thought of a fenestron for the "late-life upgrade"!  You could have added the caterpillar track undercarriage trialed by Aerospatiale  early in the SA330's career.  Now if Airfix would just do an HC2...

Regards

Tim

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very partial to Whiffs myself, and your Puma clearly hits that spot.

I'm thinking of building a second generation RAF Puma myself, using a Super Puma as a basis. In real world I'm sure it would have been a great replacement for the Wessex HC2 during the late 80s.