Spitfire Mk IX MH434

You may remember me being exited about some rain recently, well the novelty has now worn off, as it's hardly stopped since then! I really need to do some spraying but it's too damp.

I have continued adding more transfers and  small parts. I used the personal markings for '434 from the Airfix Mk IX and was disappointed to find that they were out of register, and also that the propeller stencils just about disappeared leaving just the yellow dots. The cannon barrel fairings are now ready for attachment (seen below sitting on the wings) but before doing that I have to re-attach the starboard undercarriage leg which I managed to knock off when I dropped the model. I will use the " drill and pin " method and use another Hasegawa leg to get the angle correct at the attachment point. The sliding canopy is just perched on top of the fuselage, actually it's a very good fit and sits over the rails without too much persuasion, unfortunately I painted it with Humbrol acrylic which does not quite match the Xtracolour RAF Dark Green so I will have to rectify that also. I have also attempted to brush paint the leading edge yellow ID stripes without much success, they don't look too bad from a distance ( like 100m ) but believe me from close up they're 'oribble, so when the weather permits they will be sprayed.

49013425922_7359c88244_b.jpg

I have just about finished the markings on the Aussie Mk VIII,  and I have found and fitted some cannon barrel fairings which are painted RAAF Foliage Green along with the stubs. The main wheels are now fitted ( they are there, honest ) and the tail wheel just needs painting and some doors added. The one major thing left to do is find a suitable canopy, the rear fixed and sliding portions are not a problem but I'm having some difficulty matching any of my windscreens to the rather large opening in the fuselage, the original having been lost in the mists of time, and I now realise I shouldn't have stuck the " Grey Nurse " markings on yet as I will almost certainly have to adjust the fuselage opening, I am also considering a one-piece closed canopy as the cockpit detail isn't wonderful.

49012691528_89d53fe186_b.jpg

Well, that's about it for now. Comments and suggestions welcome as usual.

John.  :pilot:

Edit: Oops, forgot to fit the exhausts!

• Like 14

They both look good, John :clap: 

As for the stripes, I think yellow is one of the hardest colors to brush paint properly. I always spray it, on top of an off-white coat. TBH, the yellow itself I use is always mixed with a drop or two of red: I think it turns it into a warmer, much realistic hue. IMHO, of course

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the support everyone.

Yes, it’s strange that you see things in photographs that you missed when looking at the real thing. 

I think I may have found a solution to the windscreen problem, but more on that later.

The problem with the ID stripes is entirely of my own making, I committed the basic schoolboy error of not doing them first when I started the painting. Stupid boy!

Thanks for the tips on the yellow G, I’m actually using RAF Rescue Yellow which has a nice warm tone.

More soon I hope.

John

PS I think I have found the original one piece Otaki canopy, but it’s very scratched and faded. If my other plan doesn’t work I might try cutting off and polishing the windscreen but I suspect that it will be quite brittle.

• Like 4

Finding a suitable windscreen/canopy.

Having searched through my collection of Spitfire clear bits I have come up with the following possibilities.

49023706918_9c6c77ecd0_b.jpg

On the right is the original Otaki canopy, and I think you can see why I am reluctant to use that. Above it is a windscreen from ( I think ) a Tamiya MkV which doesn't seem to have the external armour, which is good for me, but it does have the curved edges to the lower side panels, which can be seen in the illustration on the front of the Aussie Eight instructions underneath the canopy parts, rather than the straight edges of the original. The first trial fit showed that the arch at the rear of the windscreen is slightly wider than the corresponding  fuselage  aperture but as the lower frame appears to ' overlap ' the fuselage on the real thing so this might not be a problem if I file off the raised edges of the fuselage opening. The windscreen on the right is not very clear so I intend to use this to test the theory, then if it works I will use the one on the frame on the left, which is virtually identical but a lot clearer having been kept in it's bag, I wonder how many Spitfires I have not completed over the years as I seem to have an awful lot of bits left over. Also on the frame are a very nice bulged sliding canopy,  a rear fixed portion and a gunsight which should fit nicely on the mounting already in the cockpit.

Wish me luck

John  :pilot:

• Like 6

That's a very nice looking 434 indeed, John.
/reminds himself to start working on his own stash again

ps: didn't manage to add a pic earlier (work proxy) but here's a recent cockpit view on '434 - note the inside armour windscreen & round mirror.

spacer.png

Edited by alt-92
added pic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The splendid photo posted by Alt-92 has made me realise that, although fitting well, the Hasegawa canopy is not nearly as bulged as it should be, so I’ll be re-visiting my box of spares.

Have a good time at Telford everyone.

John

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2017 at 8:54 PM, Biggles87 said:

Perhaps this thread should be called " Confessions of another serial Spitfire starter "

This is something I have been intending to build for some time now, having watched this aircraft displayed for about 35 years, firstly by Neil Williams and then Ray and Mark Hanna, surely three of the best display pilots ever.

I will be using the Hasegawa  1/48 kit ( actually the Mk VIII boxing ) with the Aeroclub Mk IX correction set specially designed to address the deficiencies of the Hasegawa fuselage, an Aires resin cockpit set also designed for the Hasegawa kit and the decals from the Airfix Mk IX from a few years ago. The Hasegawa wings come with the teardrop bulges over the wheel wells which is correct for MH434 and I decided to use the Aires set because the cockpit sidewall detail is a little soft on the Aeroclub fuselage and the Aires set also has a representation of the wobble pump, featured on MH434, on the starboard upper wall.

Some photos below of the assorted bits and pieces with a comparison of the Hasegawa and Aeroclub fuselages showing the significant differences in length.  

IMG_1115IMG_1118

This build will run in the background while I finish other kits from the ' shelf of doom ' so the updates will probably be even more infrequent than usual, but I hope I've shown you enough to whet your appetites.

Cheers

John  :pilot:   

Hi ,do you happen to know is the Aeroclub set still available ? I have the Hasagawa VIII  SEAC boxing .

1 hour ago, cocky05d said:

The Hasegawa wings come with the teardrop bulges over the wheel wells which is correct for MH434

Correct for as she is now, but would they be correct for her when she was with 222 Sq. in WW2? Aren't the teardrop bulges above the wheel bays a postwar modification, or is my faulty memory rearing its ugly head again? I can't wait to see the RFI, as MH434 has to be the prettiest Mk IX on the planet.

Mike

I don’t think that John Adams ( Aeroclub ) is producing anything now, more’s the pity. I got my fuselage after a request on BM, so you might try that.

As for the ‘ teardrop ‘  bulges, I agree with Mike that they were a post war modification, but my intention is to show ‘434 after the rebuild/repaint in the ‘90s, not as original, hence the out of proportion roundels.

John

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Hi ,do you happen to know is the Aeroclub set still available ? I have the Hasagawa VIII  SEAC boxing .

No.

But, first, the hase kit only looks odd with other Spitfires, (apparently)  I have one in my interminable stash of Spitfire kits....

So, if it bugs you,  and you want accuracy, I would suggest not bothering with the Hase, (you could sell it) and getting a Eduard VIII kit, you can get a profipack for about £20 if you hunting about.

And that gets you etch, masks and 5 decal options.

Cheaper option, if you want to stick with the Hase,   look for an ICM kit, they can be got really cheap, under £10,  and could be a fuselage donor.

Finally, post a wanted ad here. and see if anyone has a spare Aeroclub fuselage. 

HTH

T

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

No.

But, first, the hase kit only looks odd with other Spitfires, (apparently)  I have one in my interminable stash of Spitfire kits....

So, if it bugs you,  and you want accuracy, I would suggest not bothering with the Hase, (you could sell it) and getting a Eduard VIII kit, you can get a profipack for about £20 if you hunting about.

And that gets you etch, masks and 5 decal options.

Cheaper option, if you want to stick with the Hase,   look for an ICM kit, they can be got really cheap, under £10,  and could be a fuselage donor.

Finally, post a wanted ad here. and see if anyone has a spare Aeroclub fuselage. 

HTH

T

Hi ,thanks for the reply ,i have got an built ICM Mk 9 that i have started to use for parts ,i might use that .

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

As for the ‘ teardrop ‘  bulges, I agree with Mike that they were a post war modification, but my intention is to show ‘434 after the rebuild/repaint in the ‘90s, not as original, hence the out of proportion roundels.

John

Supposedly it's for slightly longer axles to accommodate tarmac strips - and they're not as pronounced IRL as you might think.

• Like 1

:D

Tell me about it... ‘tis me age...

We’re having such busy days that, quite often, we’re having ‘an early night’. My body seems to have decided that I only need 7 hours sleep. In bed at 9? That’ll be a 4am wake up then. Last night was ‘in the bar with the gang’ - bed at 11, wake up at six... I blame my kids. 

Still, now Navy Bird has joined the tour to boost the average age a bit I’m hoping for a more sedate pace, fingers crossed 🤞 

• Haha 3