A pair of Martlets

Finished the Corsairs, so let's move on to a couple of Martlets, using these Hobbyboss quickbuilds. Hopefully, shouldn't be too big a challenge as these kits go together really well. A little unrefined but something I can live with. They are fun to build so it should be good, and not too taxing which will be ok as I am a bit busy the next few weeks. 

resized_41ec4c7e-228a-4460-a0d9-3d86bd84

Mor later.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how accurate they are but they are nicely moulded and I've made a couple before which look rather nice. Detail is good given the limited number of parts and simplified construction. Here are the sprues, straightforward and with two options of canopy, open or closed. 

resized_aafdb1e1-710f-4d92-99e8-281dd614

I believe the F4F3 was a Martlet MkIII in British service and the FM2 a Martlet/Wildcat MkVI.  The MkIII were made by Grumman and the MkVI by Eastern. I've had a look through the transfers stash and I think I have enough for both. The MkVI will be in standard Temperate Sea Scheme and the MkIII possibly one of the machines originally intended for Greece. There is a bit of controversy over how these were finished but Mid Stone over Non Specular Grey or overall Non Specular Grey are possibilities. Interiors differ as Grumman and Eastern used different interior paints. This is a good reference source http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm 

A little bit more reading to do first but hopefully get on with them later in the week. The undercarriage is definitely a lot simpler than Airfix's and hopefully won't reduce me to a quivering jelly uttering oaths and curses like the Airfix version in my previous attempts. 

• Like 2

Some paint on. A lot of Grey with green and black.  Some slight differences between the two. 

resized_b309620d-6262-468c-bf16-aacee3e7

The level of detail is pretty good for such a simple kit. Cockpits, I'll add Tamiya tape seat belts. 

resized_7f04bd1b-ee38-4397-8700-2be16f8c

resized_e19b8b55-8b39-4b8b-80e8-f0f242ea

and one of the engines, not quite done

resized_65b49852-b98e-43c9-944e-78e5e9f4

And the only moulding flaw I can find is a dimple on the FM2 nacelle. Easily sorted with a little filler. There is also tiny seams around the front of the fuselage and these have already been eliminated with a gentle sanding. 

aaa76cd4-1e3d-4f7d-b31a-11014a32218c.JPG

• Like 2

Started at 6 pm. Here we are at 6.25 pm. They do go together easily. There was a little bit of trimming and a small amount of filler is needed. But definitely a quick build. 

resized_88a348b7-7775-49ce-ba68-55a586ef

resized_6e1d38ca-9551-4fc9-9137-3c811382

• Like 1

Organised transfers. I think overall Grey for the Mk III and one of the TSS versions for the Mk VI

resized_944cb5ca-d85d-4503-b3b4-c3c141e5

resized_0ca07707-4149-4cf2-9f9e-69372a3a

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Cracking on on with these very well. Wished I'd thought of going this way. I might have got here after all. Looking forward to seeing how they come up, confident they'll look great. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I'm working my way up (or should it be down?) to easier builds. First the Airfix Corsair, then the Hasegawa Corsair and now these two. A Lego build next?

• Haha 1

The airframes are complete and the seams filled. There is a little bit of modification needed now. Both the Mk III and VI only had 4 guns so the outer ones need deleted, the Mk III didn't have folding wings and the Mk VI didn't have the underwing oil coolers. So a little bit of cutting and filling needed this morning. 

Now we have the oil coolers gouged off the FM2. You can also see some of the filling

resized_c295e40b-3bc3-494d-a5ca-51537fcd

Here everything is smoothed down and a little filler. Leave to dry and come back in a while to finish off. 

resized_da0f7e4f-078a-4850-8774-528a21c7

And the wing fold seams filled on the MkIII. I'll leave these a few hours to harden up. 

resized_042b18b7-9095-47cf-8f4b-0eaecfbf

• Like 2

Taken the canopies off the sprue, trimmed and cleaned and dipped in Kleer. Along with one set of underfuslage windows. The MkVI's are already on as it didn't have the windows. Lovely level of detail for such a cheap simple kit.

resized_78d6e60e-dab8-4ba6-8d28-cb04e562

• Like 1

Airframes complete and cleaned up. Simple masks for the canopies from Tamiya tape and an undercoat of interior colours for the frames.

resized_b20e3076-756a-42af-875c-23c743bd

resized_785363f1-859f-450c-afcf-6597906a

undersides masked where appropriate. The subtle differences between the two versions can be seen here. The Mk VI already has a few coats of Light Gull Grey applied. 

resized_adbaed05-feef-4d8d-9095-6814a8e0

Some Gunship Gray, as the EDSG equivalent on the Mk VI

resized_d2a381b3-1246-47fc-be20-f272e637

And the transfers on the Mk III. The overall light grey is a bit featureless, and probably needs a bit of post shading, although I'm not a fan. Also it's a bit unforgiving as some microwafer thin filler layers are still showing up on close examination and may need a little further gentle sanding/polishing. 

resized_6fb7b17d-9200-4303-87a8-700f829a

The transfers are very nice and have settled down well with Microsol and Microset including the fuselage roundel over the dinghy hatch  or is it the radio hatch?

resized_1cf10da6-69df-4726-bb8f-2724dfbf

• Like 5

Paitning almost done bar some touching up. The undercarriage on. Only two parts and so much easier than Airfix's, albeit a bit less detailed. Looks OK to me though and will do the trick. The fit was fine and the holes are asymmetrical so you get it the right way round. Props ready masked up and probably need another coat of yellow on the tips.

resized_22313e92-7049-4c06-a535-63b990b6

resized_6c72edfd-655a-4f18-baa6-1945425d

Wheels to be added, a new pitot for the MkIII and radio mast for the MkVI. Transfers on the MkVI and a coat of matt varnish for them both and perhaps a wash to lift the detail on the MkIII and they'll be done.

• Like 3

These have come together really well.  I'm impressed with you finishing of these great kits..

I work in the remedial scale so have converted the Tamiya F4F-4 to a Martlet II and it think I (due to the insiration you have provided) will acquire the Hobby Boss FM-1 to convert to a Martlet IV..  

On 30/10/2017 at 7:36 AM, Grey Beema said:

These have come together really well.  I'm impressed with you finishing of these great kits..

I work in the remedial scale so have converted the Tamiya F4F-4 to a Martlet II and it think I (due to the insiration you have provided) will acquire the Hobby Boss FM-1 to convert to a Martlet IV..  

Thanks GB. I'm pleased that my humble attempts have inspired you. These Hobbyboss kits are simple but rather nice and as far as I can see pretty accurate. 

Almost there now. Transfers on, and just the wheels to go on both the props added (which are painted and ready to fix) and a coat or two of matt varnish and they'll be ready for the gallery. 

The MkVI has a new upright aerial mast from plastic strip.

resized_f7b45eb2-c352-43a3-a70b-bffae1e0

The MkIII's new pitot is from brass rod. 

resized_5a4ea9bb-80e2-48a5-9d69-5a21a39a

resized_8a051bf0-f7d4-4167-9d5b-3c6688dd

The MkIII is a bit featureless so I'm going to try a wash to lift it somewhat. I've never done this before so here's hoping it goes OK. 

Pretty much done. The wash of citadel Nulan Oil has lifted the featureless nature of the grey somewhat but I fear I may have overdone it. Anyway here they are. I'm pondering about some black transfer strip for walkways at the wing roots but my trawl of pictures shows a lot with and a lot without. And I can't find any upper pictures of the MkIII. 

resized_99a6f1fa-42ab-4e08-accd-970ea960

Gallery pictures to follow. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Roberto said:

Lovely couple, well done.

Thanks Roberto, enjoyable builds. 

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good, I'm looking forward to the gallery shots. :)

Steve.

Steve, I've popped them in the Gallery as two separate builds.