Tamiya WESPE Sd.Kfz.124 - My first blog build

1 hour ago, Sairou said:

This is fantastic. If I may, how did you achieve the worn rusty effect on the shovel?

Hi Sairou, thanks for that.

The shovel I did with pigments and matt varnish as a solvent and fixer. The base coat of the shovel, axe and pick metal parts I did in a 50/50 black grey and gun metal. Not that you see much of it. The pigment gives great texture as you build it up.....about two layers. Coat the area to receive pigment, and if necessary mix pigment and varnish into a paste.

Once it was dry I post tinted darker at the rear of the head of the shovel with a special mix, of which I'll have to check what mix exactly; as I'm not near my bench at the moment. I'll check when I am. I use alcohol not water as it dries really fast and works for me as a tinting medium. I don't like to use pure black........ that's my art college training as there is no black in reality.....I then take a damp brush and blend it. I tinted the wood shaft this way on top of a very light golden wood colour..........as all German tool handles were of a blonde wood type and not dark hard woods etc.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Afternoon all.....looks to be another hot one. I'm being dragged out today so only got a short time this morning and on Friday afternoon....so not much to report on progress. Worked mainly on the interior before I button it up and move to the exterior. Sealed in the chipping on the interior and will move onto the main 105. Once that's fitted it's a very light wash of chassis mud build up here and there....not too much.

catch you later I hope when I get back.......😆

NVYy2Z0.jpgKmBhkvH.jpgI7vDuCB.jpgPVr5vqD.jpg

• Like 8

EVENING ALL....

A quick update on the Wespe. The main armament is "chipped" and awaiting panel lining. A;; the interior finished, and the lower hull had it's fIrst mud coat.... the tracks have their fist coat of primer and the base rust colour, next on them is  a hint of mud dust as I want it to have a more dry mud behind the wheels, and only have wet areas in the running gear....so the track mud will have flaked off and just have light deposits remaining.

I'll do a mud blend onto the upper hull once it's attached and the rear fighting compartment wall section is affixed. Quite a complicated build really, and have to make sure the sequence is on track. Doesn't seem like a lot has changed, but here she is........

CVIO18K.jpgxhVlbwH.jpgGdziE4e.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 14

Thanks John......I’m putting the most chipping in the crew area and the gun. The exterior will have only near tools And hatches etc. Maybe some on the fenders and running boards.

thanks again👍

Evening all........hope your all well........progress report.🤔

Upper hull "chipped" and main gun fitted. 

The side walls of the fighting compartment still need fitting permanently, once in they'll be chipped to match the hull

p8nDW04.jpg

ZwTy6yP.jpg

CLSYSG8.jpg

Mud finished on lower, just needs blending in once the upper hull. Once the glue is dry and final

upper to lower hull is chipped the mud effect will be blended to bring them together.

J8YpULf.jpg

Shot of the rear before the back plate goes on and the detail get's harder to see. Tracks fitted - just need some touch up on chipped areas here and there.

Wheels and tracks need a dust coat to bring it all together.

4LyapxL.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks Roger

Managed to get it all together today. I’m working on the internal equipment....ie, gas mask case, water bottles etc. Then some external jerry cans and stuff. Hope to get it posted by next week; all finished.

cheers

Simon

I would give yourself a big pat on the back Simon your weathering is just brilliant, the whole model is brilliant :clap2::goodjob:

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

I have already seen the final result, and I just have to say that I love it, I hope a second blog with interest.:goodjob:

Cheers Redcoat2966 :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

That is a superb result a real show stopper 

Whats next on the bench?

Roger

Many thanks to both of you.....I really do appreciate the interest you all have taken in my first endeavour in blog building. It took a lot more time than I thought, but was distracted by the building bug at the beginning.....:laugh:....

......to answer the your question Roger, I've moved over to the Steyer. Just got he field applied camo'; as I'm trying to do a vehicle once grey but switched in '43 to dunkelgelb.

Thanks again....:yes:

Many regards

Simon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...