Tamiya WESPE Sd.Kfz.124 - My first blog build

Cheers Rob....:yes:

Wished I could have given the dark grey a shot with the technique.....that'll have to wait. It'll be "some"additional modulation today and detail highlighting. Go a feeling with so much interior detail, it's going to be a "longish" project.....:S....

Thanks again.

Simon.

Morning all....just off to start my day and thought I'd post progress to date. Decals are on, well second set. tried Dragon decals at first but they are quite thick and you can see the outline of the carrier sheet.....so they came off and went back to the Tamiya which are far superior. Went for a single colour camo'. Still working on getting that line a little thinner.....see how that goes on the Steyer.

Next step to concentrate on the interior so I can affix the side walls and rear permanently. Once the interior is done I can do an isolation layer and proceed with filters and panel lining wash.....

lQyvV7R.jpgFuLya36.jpg4hGfGo4.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 11

:thanks: everyone.... for taking a look and being so thumbs up on the results so far. I'll try and get some time in on the final additions on detail for the interior and then the filter, wash and chipping next. I'm eager to get the walls up......and fixed in place.......:thumbsup:

Off to paint the microscopic buttons and dials on the radio......"now where's that brush with only the two hairs".......:worry:

See ya later......:like:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Coming on  treat.

John.

5 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Hi Simon

This is really come on since I last looked, the detail is top notch mate :clap:

Thanks for taking a look chaps, and :yes: comments.....

Regards

Simon.

I agree its really come to life the pe details have paid off in spades ,also some lovely modulation and highlighting of highpoints, exellent painting simon. 

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2018 at 7:19 PM, Hewy said:

I agree its really come to life the pe details have paid off in spades ,also some lovely modulation and highlighting of highpoints, exellent painting simon. 

Glynn 

9 hours ago, Ripaman said:

One heck of a model Simon, detail just pops out brilliant :like:

Regards

Richard

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

I'm late to this having only just found it!

That is superb workmanship and the camo looks spot on I like this a lot!

Roger

Cheers all. Really appreciate the praise and you all taking a look.....I'm really enjoying this and the other projects at present as it is my first chance to give all the new techniques of the recent past that have come into the hobby. These filters are great...really.......I couldn't believe how it changed the whole look of the Dunkelgelb.....gave it a glow. I'm hoping the camo' holds up under the filter, and still is visible once dry. I'm not going to "chip" the hell out of this one, just some subtle use here and there. 

I'm concentrating on the additional equipment and stowage at present. Thought I'd get them done early as at the end you can have a tendency to "just get them done"

Cheers everyone who have dropped by and given the :yes: up.....

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

Afternoon all.....hope your keeping cool in the heat wave.......😎

Another update. Not got much done, just concentrated on the additional equipment, and vehicle tools etc. Built myself a set of headphone, which will go in last once the walls have been attached permanently.

I'm building up to the chipping phase......it'll be long one so building up the patience......😁

Any input and comments always welcome. Back on the bench maybe Sunday.

1LUjtoe.jpg

ViHNcIY.jpg

zzZNLMj.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

stunning work... bit that caught my eye - the interior wall with the fire extinguisher.... thats a great focal point

Thanks Rob

Yeah,......I did a lot of research on the colours used and they varied to the actual body colour, Dunkelgelb through to red, dark grey and some shades of brown. I thought the same, give it some focal point and add some sparkle. I tell you one thing. I'm not using decals again in such large scale. You cannot get rid of the carrier film with varnish or decal fluid, even the Tamiya which are supposed to be the thinest. I've been looking up number and insignia masks for the next projects. Or hand paint them.......:S

Thanks again Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Rob

Yeah,......I did a lot of research on the colours used and they varied to the actual body colour, Dunkelgelb through to red, dark grey and some shades of brown. I thought the same, give it some focal point and add some sparkle. I tell you one thing. I'm not using decals again in such large scale. You cannot get rid of the carrier film with varnish or decal fluid, even the Tamiya which are supposed to be the thinest. I've been looking up number and insignia masks for the next projects. Or hand paint them.......:S

Thanks again Rob

yeah number stencils have been something i have thought about... think the kits i have in the stash (3) dont call for large numbers - just the mean lean green "kermit" machine

8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I tell you one thing. I'm not using decals again in such large scale. You cannot get rid of the carrier film with varnish or decal fluid, even the Tamiya which are supposed to be the thinest. I've been looking up number and insignia masks for the next projects. Or hand paint them.......:S

Hi Simon,

I used masks for my current Sherman build and if correctly applied, they give something much more realistic than decals, I agree ... I have AMWorks PE small german letters / numbers, they also have medium and large ones, and many sets for specific german tanks, even a US complete set.

You also have Eduard adhesive masks ... I'll to try those someday.

Apart from that, you project is progressing very well, I look forward to seeing the next step 😉

E

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, robw_uk said:

yeah number stencils have been something i have thought about... think the kits i have in the stash (3) dont call for large numbers - just the mean lean green "kermit" machine

6 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hi Simon,

I used masks for my current Sherman build and if correctly applied, they give something much more realistic than decals, I agree ... I have AMWorks PE small german letters / numbers, they also have medium and large ones, and many sets for specific german tanks, even a US complete set.

You also have Eduard adhesive masks ... I'll to try those someday.

Apart from that, you project is progressing very well, I look forward to seeing the next step 😉

E

Hi Both....yes stencils are more the way for me now the more I look at the results of decal. I'm going to have to rig up some stowage in strategic places to hide the film edge. It was something I was considering, but now it is a "have to'......:rant:

I've been looking at the Eduard Etienne. on Ebay. Not too expensive, but I could really do without the constant drain on the war chest. At least for now the four projects on the bench aren't in need of anything as regards markings. Purchase will have to wait until the next build. I took a look at AM Works website. Some nice stuff on there. Any idea on UK sellers?.....save on shipping if I can.

And thanks for the kind comments on results so far.........:yes:

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Super nice paint job

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

This is really coming together now looks superb!

Roger

Thanks both, appreciate you taking a look and the :yes: up.........hopefully getting a full day in tomorrow if all goes well and no chores dropped on me. I'll complete the wash phase and then onto chipping........

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1