Tamiya WESPE Sd.Kfz.124 - My first blog build

Managed to get some time on the Wespe. These Masterclub bolts are great. Drill a hole like the real thing. Wonderfull........although, I have realised you have to plan where you going to put them as it's easier to drill the holes when the AFV is in pieces....still nice stuff.

TLIbWhS.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Clogged, cheers mate...I would have put more where they are required but drilling the holes might have caused more damage than it was worth, hence doing the holes before building..... :huh:

I see your a new member too....welcome :party:

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Hi Glynn

Cheers for that. 

They come loose mate. I think I got 200 in a bag. Quite cheap too from Historex. I love them.

In intend to make good use of them in the future. I picked up several sizes and types........domed and hex headed bolts.

regards

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Wow! cool detail, but how much work ... the result should be magnificent ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon :yes:

Thanks Francis

I’m going to try and get it done. Planning on doing the final hit list and tracks done. But I’m having to dismantle the modelling area to make some room for Christmas guests.....☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

So might not be posting much until the New Year 

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Utterly SPIFFING!  I can only offer more praise.

Reaguards,

Badder.

But thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated. Hopefully I’ll be back up and running soon 

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. Managed to get some time in today on the Wespe........one side of tracks, some cables and some front riveting missing off the Tamiya kit.

The Masterclub tracks turned out to be an unnecessary self inflicted nightmare....if the PE wasn't challenging enough. I have to say Masterclub had great intentions, but if they are to persevere with this method, they need to tighten up the tolerances of the cast links. The links themselves are beautifully detailed, but the connection hole's in light of the resin pins need to be the size needed (or slightly larger) as relying on friction lock is hell. I had to file a little off one side of each track to make sure the holes somewhat lined up.........:huh:..........Anyway....Friuls it is from now on if I choose to have metal tracks.

Here's a few pics of the latter stages.

ts6gYHc.jpg

I replaced the canvas cover loops from the stretched spru one's to solder wire one's. Thinner is better.....:D

BnUwNgu.jpg

Added the bolts to lower front....not sure why Tamiya missed these, can't be hard to put those in the mould. I also had to do what could be a field alteration. The pick axe should be nestled with the shovel and pry bar, but due to the field applied rack it ended up on the front glacis. If I was in command of her, that's where I'd have put it.

G17DA5I.jpg

WAaOLB0.jpg

View here of the bolts added....again, not sure why not on the kit itself.....:huh: Also added in the cables for the radio. I intend to see if I can build a head set and throat mic to hang off something. I have one with the Sturer Emil PE set....I might liberate it for the Wespe.

lE4AEy9.jpg

Looking to build also a slightly larger ammo box for the side wall location. The Tamiya one's from my spares box are too small and fall through the bottom. It must have been a larger one in reality to feed a '34 for a longer period. The rear panel is still loose, as are the side walls as I'll paint them all separate then fix on and paint the exterior.

LQ72xEH.jpg

With the back wall popped on.

Cheers all.

Off back to the Sturer. Emil....starting to get me down somewhat.....but I'll plough on......:worry:

Regards and have a good night

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Clive. How are you mate. Hope Christmas went well.

thanks for taking a look, and the positive feedback. I just got to add some final detail and she’s done

cheers 

Simon

It's been great watching this one develop, looking forward to the next stage! Almost a modelling-free Christmas for me, sadly. Hopefully things will improve though, once I get back to work in the new year.

12 hours ago, clive_t said:

It's been great watching this one develop, looking forward to the next stage! Almost a modelling-free Christmas for me, sadly. Hopefully things will improve though, once I get back to work in the new year.

I have enjoyed this one Clive. Never done an open top to this point before. Not enjoying the Sturer though....that might get shelved again until my patience get's better with it..... :D....well, looking forward to you getting back to the bench in the new Year. Anything particular planned after the 17 pounder?

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice details in the back, love that barrel too, great job simon

Glynn, 

Happy new year to you and your family 

Thank's Glynn....and a very Happy New Year to you and yours.....here's to a better year for all.....

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Beautiful crisp clean build, love the attention to detail

Kev

Thanks Kev. ....Maintaining the detail in the paint job is the challenge now.......Happy New Year.

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

now that is rather nice... inspiration i am much in need of....

Cheers Rob.....I'm glad you like it....and I'm happy to inspire....although I too still have a way to go on the PE. I'm getting better as I go along. Once I finish the 4 ongoing AFV's I have on the bench....I'm planning on a full Lion Roar PE upgrade of something...not sure what.......still looking....Happy New Year to you and your family.

37 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Love the detail on this build. Are the loops pushed into predrilled holes or just s/glued on?

John.

Hi John, and thank you for taking a look....to answer the question. No pre drilling, just super G on the tip of each side of the loop and applied. Then a quick clean up with a scalpel blade. I used very fine solder wire. Really nice stuff as you can cut it with a scalple. I just wrapped around a rod, cut and trimmed to size.

Happy New Year to everyone and keep on modelling.....:D

Simon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Top notch job!, details are superb, radio, gun barrel, rivets...niiiice...:popcorn:

Cheers mate and HNY2018 :santa:

Hi Francis, cheers. Learnt a lot on what to do next time.......Happy New Year to you too.

Regards

Simon.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sairou said:

The level of detail you're including is fantastic, the Tamiya kit is a nice build, but this is taking the model to a whole other level.

Hi Sairou

your right on the kit. Bad kit for and you’ll have nothing but problems on the PE. Also I think a high quality kit - like Tamiya or second Dragon, is essential when doing an open top you have to put together at the end to be able to paint the interior first.  It needs to seemlesly go together.

Anyway mate, thanks for the kind comments; much appreciated 

You have a good night and a Happy New Year 

Simon

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

t1eBTf2.jpgAfternoon all

Cracked on with the Wespe today and got the base coat after a B&W primer beneath. Getting to quite like the B&W technique, especially on lighter coloured AVF's. I have a couple of things to fix and adjust as regards details in the build. Once done, I'll pop some modulation highlights on various upper structure details. Maybe tonight.

Sorry about the purple line.....something in the pic file.....I'll try and take another, but off to start dinner.......😬

FsBdGld.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 7

Thanks Soeren

Yeah, it's an effective technique I must say. I was going to do the Wespe in Dark Grey but after a lot research yesterday discovered it wasn't shipped to the front lines until march '43. Dunkelgelbe though was standard from Feb '43 on all production units and in the field when time allowed to make the switch.

So my test in a darker colour for the B&W technique will have to wait until I do a more earlier AFV.......:S

Simon.