Tamiya WESPE Sd.Kfz.124 - My first blog build

Fantastic work all round.

I'm looking at the Wespe and comparing it to the Nashorn. Obviously there are many, many differences in all areas, but the overall 'theme' of both is identical, so until I or someone else makes another Nashorn, this is a good one to follow.

I do find it interesting how we modellers approach our subjects in regards to painting and how we might do them differently. Personally, I've never constructed an AFV fully and left the painting until last. I've always made up the 'modules', painted them up to the required levels, put all the modules together then painted everything up to the finished standard. So I will be interested to see how you do yours! I'm sure it will be a beauty though!

Reaguards

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Francis/Badder....cheers for the comments.

This is the first kit I have gone all the way as regards PE etc, and scratch building parts etc, like the engine crank handle. I'm have in the process of putting in a lot of parts Tamiya omitted. The gun shield struts, cable to the antenna from the radio and so on. I also started today a tubular rack on the left fender I saw in a photo of an abandoned Wespe in the European theatre....florists wire was a perfect fit.

I have to sat that it's what German AFV's are always the best, because to be honest they always had an "ad-hoc" approach in the field and you could pretty much bolt on and weld what ever comes to mind. Lots of areas to expand and elaborate. ou don't get that as much with the Allies as they didn't have to make things last as long as the Axis did.......it's amazing they lasted as long as they did with the "hand-me downs" they had to fight with......it must have been a bit irritating they ended up with ad-hoc stuff made up from bit and bob's captured from the beginning of the war.....although I did read once that at the end when the Russians were knocking on the door of the Reich, the OKW refused to release the vast hoards of captured Russian equipment sitting in storage...go figure....:o

Anyway, back to the Wespe. I intend to keep the sub components separate Badder, paint and then do a final assembly and end with weld lines where needed on the upper structure. Unfortunately as regards the paint job, it might be a little longer on that as I am in the process of researching a new compressor and airbrush for my Christmas list. Hopefully Santa will be good to me. If he's not, then it's put to one side once built and tackle another until the happy day arrives......bummer my B'day so late in the year....:swear:

I'll try and post some more pics tomorrow.

Cheers all and Have a good start to the week tomorrow too.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
Typo

Hello chap's. Didn't manage to do as much as I hoped today. But thought I'd post the progress to date. I managed to do the right side gun shield strut and the "jerry" can rack I saw on a destroyed Wespe.....that took some doing...:swear:

Started the right cabin detail also. The Eduard PE is a dream...all except the fire extinguisher frame....made for a very, very thin extinguisher, that Tamiya didn't include at all...so tough I imagine for Eduard to make their's fit something not supplied in the kit. In looking at the radio, I think this will have to considered another sub component as I'm using the parts supplied by Eduard and have to added after painting. So I'll do it separately and install in the final fit together.

Here's a pic of the sub components Badder I intend to do (plus radio).

wHiHEcg.jpg

And here's some additional shots.

r0L5kmt.jpg

This is the rack I saw

wfhvBdx.jpg

bbzp8n4.jpg

jR6vsJU.jpg

dzFDCk6.jpg

Anyway, cheers all.

Regards

Simon

• Like 10

Cheers Ozzy. Starting to slow down a bit as I need some specific supplies. So with a limited budget I am having to do what I can. I’ve enjoyed the scratch building. A challenge, but it’s what makes it fun. 

Filling in in my time doing research. I found some nice pics of missing details and also the final colour scheme......I might even push the boat out and consider a couple of figures. Have to see there. 

Thanks again

regards

Simon

• Like 2

Nice colour scheme Simon, are you going to use the figures from the kit or find some others? Only if your going to use figures.

Hi Chap's....thanks for the compliments.....

I am probably going to re-do the fighting compartment cover loops again, they look too thick. It's amazing what you see in a pic as opposed to viewing in the flesh. I'll have to stretch the spru a little more to get thinner loops. Also, the pics picked up some sink marks on the exterior plate....have to fill those too.

I think I'm going to switch to the tracks now. I decided on Masterclub......... Lots of pins and track to keep me busy....:smirk: have a break from the vehicle itself.

A quick question to all....has anyone used the spray can primer by Tamiya...was thinking as I have no airbrush to try that once I've finished and awaiting Santa and see what he brings me as regards airbrush kit......:idea:

Simon

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
typo
  • Like 1

Looking very nice Simon, looking forward to see those tracks as I've not used those ones before. As for the primer, I've got no complaints. Just do light coats from a distance as if iyou spray to close you can lose the detail.

Hi Ozzy, thanks. And yes, me too. I got them based on price. I would have preferred Friul. It will betheffirst time that I am doing separate links. Just watched a vid on YouTube that didn’t give the Master Club a good rating. Lot of warping and tough to put the pins in.....😳 I’ll have to let you know and give you a detailed review........😎

As regards da the primer......I’ll give it a shot. I like to prime as it can show all the defects that need attention. I’ll make sure I warm the can in hot water to get a better coverage.

cheers mate

simon

• Like 3

before I log off, incase someone is looking to do a Wespe. here is some interesting research I dug up.......some electrical not included in either the Eduard or the Tamiya kit. The left fender as you look at it from the front has a detail and some pics of the interior showing quite a different layout. Maybe taken from actual pics and additional equipment crewman added.

0O118f3.jpg

65Du2Dx.jpg

O3OusWW.jpg

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Kev, I'm doing well thanks.

That's a nice job there. I like a lot of the little features you have done......I like the deep scratches with the rust. Especially the one on the side cross. Very effective slight touch of snow on the tracks. Nice job on the radio too. I'm going to re-do mine and add some extra detail.

Myself.....I've been bogged down on the tracks for this one and the Sig33 I'm doing at the same time. The Friuls for the Sig were a dream to put together. But these Matserclub's I got for the Wespe are a NIGHMARE...:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:. They look slightly better than the Friuls, but they are very tough to get together. Very soft, so a tendency to distort and break too. The big issue is that the holes are supposed to sized just smaller than the resin pins. Now, if the holes is a little missed cast you need to bore it out....(the holes smaller than a needle.....:tmi: )so if you bore it out slightly, the pins no longer friction lock....so all round a tedious task.....but I will persevere. Maybe larger AFV tracks are better, as the Wespe tracks are a narrow and small for the Panzer III.

I'll post some pics I hope at the weekend on progress.....

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 3

Hi Simon thank you.

I've looked as those Masterclub tracks, didn't like the pins looks like my hunch was right I feel for you.

I just went with the Tamiya standard, on this build.  The PE and the other detailing items cost more than the kit, it can get really silly I didn't want to throw anymore cash at it.  

Hi Kev

Yeah, the pins are very, very fine. I mean I see their intent at a set of tracks with the bolt heads on both sides. But once fitted you only see one side anyway. So Friuls are fine from now on. A little more money, but a time saver.

I sometimes use the issued tracks with the kit, to get the sag I use needles from the inside. Once painted you don't see them.I actually enjoy the PE part more than anything on a kit....a challenge. But I'm surprised the street doesn't hear me scream now and again.......:D. I'm going to try and finish off the Wespe this weekend. But I might get distracted by reviewing the state my Sturer Emil is in, partially built and develop a build plan for that...have to see.

Have a good day Kev.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I don't usually make many comments about German WW2 armour as I'm not a fan and I know little about them (the one exception being the Pz.lll and it's derivatives), but when I see a build like this, I can't ignore it. So far it's looking superb. The one thing that really impresses me is the rail that you've bent to shape for the jerry cans. That must have taken a lot of trial and error. Nice one.

John.

5 hours ago, Mark Hoffmanly said:

Fantastic work with the PE, it's always a shame to buy all the PE and the metal barrel which makes the model pop, but once you paint the model, it loses some detail... if that makes sense. 

Mark

Hi Mark....thank you very much for your comments, very appreciated. It gives me great pleasure that I seem to be getting my mojo back on the modelling. I agree somewhat on the brass being painted. I thought the same myself the other day. But when you look at a PE finished piece, the detail does come through. When you compare boxes, gun racks etc to the moulded part; there's a distinct difference. I resist putting PE where you won't see it, that I can't see the reason for........but to be honest, even if not seen that much, I love the challenge of putting the PE together. I might one day see if I can do something like a Voyager box image and leave it all brass, in place of painting it.....maybe, have to see......thanks again.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Simon,

I don't usually make many comments about German WW2 armour as I'm not a fan and I know little about them (the one exception being the Pz.lll and it's derivatives), but when I see a build like this, I can't ignore it. So far it's looking superb. The one thing that really impresses me is the rail that you've bent to shape for the jerry cans. That must have taken a lot of trial and error. Nice one.

John.

Hi John, cheers on the review and I'm glad it peaked your interest to comment. I'm glad my efforts are being enjoyed on the forum.....all my lot here at home have no interest at all.....whatsoever. I mean I was asked last week, "what are you going to do with it when your finished?" so it's nice to come on here and chat and look at what everyone is doing.

The gas can rack was a trial. I did it before I got my hands on softer wire. This was done in florists wire. Just soft enough to flatten with pliers at the ends etc. With it being harder , it does hold it's shape ;\long term and can take a hit now and again.

Cheers John.

Simon.

• Like 2