Tamiya WESPE Sd.Kfz.124 - My first blog build

Hi all

Well, this will be my first blog build on a modelling site, so I will have to learn how to upload images etc - so bare with me there. I decided to buy a kit wth a high reputation for accuracy in moulding so I went for Tamiya's Wespe Sd.Kfz.124. I've done a lot and am still doing a whole load of research on the vehicle and other modellers builds to make sure I don't make too many missteps on the way. It'll be a long build for me with other commitments but looking forward to it. Don't hesitate to comment or point out any issue's - I won't take offence...:lalala:

As regards after market upgrades (with budget restrictions :think:) I decided on:

1. Eduard's PE 35 450
  2. RB Models barrel - 10.5cm L/28 SdKfz 124 Wespe 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Although no instructions came with it, so might need some help there...:)
  3. Masterclub Pz.Kpfw. II, WESPE all metal tracks-MTL 35069

So, once more unto the breech. Off to start pulling together additional materials, research and get my area sorted out. Long negotiations with "her indoors"....:o

Cheers

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 3

Hi Clive, thanks for the welcome........as I said, it'll be a long project, so not super frequent post's. I have to first set up and get some equipment working -my toothbrush sander, and work bench layout.

Regards

Simon.

The Tamiya model is quite nice, I built one OOB recently. The website I use to post images is https://imgur.com/, it works quite well and you don't have quite the same risk of it doing you over like with photobucket.

Edited by Sairou

Welcome to BM and the best bit of it, Longshanks. (Simon)

Fantastic that you should be graced by the presence of Julien as well. I've been a member for 2years and have never had the pleasure! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing a Wespe WIP.

I prefer the Nashorn myself, but that's an entirely different novel!

Have fun and know that we're all here to help if you require any.

Rearguards

Badder

4 hours ago, Sairou said:

The Tamiya model is quite nice, I built one OOB recently. The website I use to post images is https://imgur.com/, it works quite well and you don't have quite the same risk of it doing you over like with photobucket.

Hi Sairou, 

thanks for that tip. I’ll take a look at that service and maybe make use of it. Good place I imagine to store images as an archive.

Hi Ozzy,

I’ll do my best not to embarrass myself too much 😊 Intend to take my time and see if I can match a lot of the projects I’ve seen on here. Some nice pieces.

Hi Badder, back at ya. 

The Nashorn is an impressive vehicle I agree, I’ll see how this open topped one stress’s me out, and see if I have it in me to do another......😩 Hence the need of plenty of help to come my way once I start the post’s will get me to the end. With all my research I’m doing, I hope that it’ll be a smooth build

Cheers all

Simon

• Like 3

Update on the Wespe.Sorry if this isn't the best way to post as regards pics. I'll figure out eventually how to 

So.......Got into the chassis, pretty much following the sequence of the Tamiya instructions and blending the Eduard PE parts where neccessary. I have to say, I picked a good one as regards the quality of the moulding. Top notch as always from Tamiya.Everything is tight and fit's together wonderfully. In my research I have picked up on a host of missing detail beyond what Eduard did, so attempting to do this too. Bolt heads, handles etc etc.

Here's the link to Imgur of the chassis album part 1.

https://i.imgur.com/M324qcl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jTmTus9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CS44uwg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xpomNPh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xpomNPh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Du4WxLp.jpg

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
Added different links
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

@LONGSHANKS2966 ... I also use Imgur. Once you’ve uploaded the photos you need to go into your images. Click on the photo you want and there is an option to convert it from “link” to “Directlink” after that its just a matter of cut & paste it here. Thats what i do. 

Thanks Ozzy. Trying to keep it as clean as possible. I'm going to try and finish the chassis and upper structure then move on the walls of the fighting compartment. I'm not going to make the same mistake as I did on the 38t Geschutzwagon and attach them before painting..... :think: I need to get some 2mm styrene tubing for some detail work, so that might slow this stage down a bit. But plenty to go on with for now.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

Good evening gents......managed to get a couple of hours in tonight on the "Vess-Pee" as they say across the Rhine...:smirk:. That is after a long afternoon college......:waiting:

Here's a few update shots. Managed to get some more PE done -mudguards, internal runner plates and what I think is an angle gauge. Also filled in the holes on the main running boards with a stretched spru method, beats using filler and having to sand it down and loose the detail around the filled hole.

Anyway, g'nite chaps.

Regards

Simon.

DBcIAMs.jpg

sRoYWGs.jpg

BjItmFz.jpg

jugyLAe.jpg

pwiSlVb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi both.Thanks for the compliment. and yes corsair, finally got the pic situation figured out.

The PE is a first for me at this level, so taking my time. I've used it before, but just for some large basic add ons. Made a couple of mistakes after checking the pics of museum samples, but nothing that screams out.....:o The angle gauge was a tough one. I'm weighing up if to add all the hex bolt heads to the brass detail. Not sure if I can get hex head rod that small. If not then I'll stretch some spru as they are just 1mm in diameter, and try and see what they look like. At that scale you won't be able to tell round from hex....:think:

I'm going to try and get the rest of the upper hull done by the end of the weekend, if not; I might switch over to the main gun for a change of scenery.

Have a good rest of the week.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon, good work so far. As for hex bolts, I understand that Historex Agents are now carrying a range of resin bolt heads, rivets etc that look quite good. There's a short demo recently added to their YouTube channel. 

Hope this helps :)

35 minutes ago, LONGSHANKS2966 said:

Cheers mate, I'll take a look now. Maybe I'll find them at the IPMS show in Telford on the 11th.

Simon

You're welcome :yes:

Might be worth pinging them an email at [email protected] to find out if they are attending Telford. Could save on the postage at least!

Hi Chaps, I hope your weekend goes well.

Managed to get more time in today on the build. More scratch building and PE. Also got to starting the man armament which went together well, except for the bloody toothed cog when you put the two halves of the gun carriage......:swear:. Still have the gauge marker to make for the main gun and some scratch built shield struts, that Tamiya seemed to have ommitted....not sure why they are on all the last remaining vehicles in museums.

I also started the interior of the fighting compartment, and working my way through the ammo bins etc. Need to start looking at the wiring for the radio too. I decided to scratch build a new handle for the footlocker on the right of the interior and also the handle to close the main air vent to the engine compartment. Not much trouble, stretched spru in both cases. And after looking into some images, I realise Eduard supplied the latch and fittings for the crank handle....but Tamiya doesn't provide one. So a scratch built one was required.

Anyway, and pointers welcomes and I did make a couple of boobs....but unless you can spot them...I 'aint saying.....:D

Maybe post some more progress....if I get the chance the rest of the weekend.

Cheers all.

Simon.

qpJqrVC.jpg

4CxdB44.jpg

ioCs9Am.jpg

kGSNNFk.jpg

OwAsDN0.jpg

• Like 11