ICM Polikarpov I-153 - ski party

I have long been wary of biplanes.... Not sure my building skills are up to struts and bracing wires. But what with the direct fuselage / upper wing join - this looked a safe starting place. I will train myself up toward a Swordfsh, which I have always wanted to make - my grandmother sometimes flew in them during her time in the WRENS. 

Anyway - the kit was great. Nice level of detail. Easy to build, but not a total cake-walk. Just right. 

I decided to go for a fictionalised aircraft, a hastily 'winterized' one... I really enjoy the hairspray technique, and wanted to have another go at it. My recent attempts were very heavy handed as I got rather carried away, so I wanted to try leaving most of the white on this time! 

NB - The port -> starboard scratches along the wings were accidental. I used a rag to dry the excess water off once the chipping / wear was where I wanted it - and sadly there was a blob of dried glue on said rag... Didn't notice until I had done a few passes.

Anyway - thanks for looking - would recommend this as a fun (and small) kit! 

Bruce

q823Rzh.jpg

F3La6Dt.jpg

Yvv2E5T.jpg

• Like 27

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great build 👍

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Very nice build there, looks great 

5 hours ago, MikeR said:

Looks great! I have one of these under my belt as well - it's a delightful little kit!

Mike.:)

Thanks all! Much appreciated. And yes - a real treat to put together - especially as a gateway to biplanes for those like me who fear them! 

One of my favourite!  I have a few of these ICM kits (and other makers) in the stash...maybe I'll do a Winter War build-up as the days grow shorter...

Has there been a Winter War or Continuation War GB...?  Might be an idea...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Beautiful Chaika, very nicely built and I think the weathering looks great.

Very well done.

Craig.

Thanks Craig. I find the hairspray thing so satisfying it's hard to stop at the right point. So had to really stop myself going all in on chipping along ribbing on the wings... But thanks for the kind words - I think it could still be a little more subtle - but going in the right direction! 

On 09/10/2017 at 4:40 PM, RidgeRunner said:

That is delightful! Nice.

Martin

Cheers Martin! 

On 09/10/2017 at 4:19 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

One of my favourite!  I have a few of these ICM kits (and other makers) in the stash...maybe I'll do a Winter War build-up as the days grow shorter...

Has there been a Winter War or Continuation War GB...?  Might be an idea...

That would be a great GB - I for one have a good load of Finnish decals unused from previous builds.

• Like 1