Beaufighter Mk IIF , Gibraltar 1944

Troy Smith

Hi

One possibility of the beaufighter II being prefered by the FAA is the availability of merlin qualified groundcrew to service them.

slightly O/T 

There was an instance of FAA groundcrew servicing spitires on an raf airfield in 1944 as all the raf mechanics on the station were sabre qualified, I was shown the photo taken at the time by a spitfire pilot 

cheers

jerry

• 11 months later...
On 10/9/2017 at 9:28 PM, 72modeler said:

While we're on the subject, has anybody done a conversion in 1/72 for a IIF? If so, which Lancaster kit would be the best donor for the engine nacelles, and would inboard or outboard units have the best fit? I am thinking about using one of my Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk 1 kits. I know I will have to remove the oil coolers, but I am not sure about the fairing doors for the undercart- were they different between the Mk 1 and the IIF? Am I also correct that the Merlin cowlings attach immediately in front of the main landing gear strut attachment/bulkhead? I know the nacelle upper fairing will have to be changed, but I have the High Planes IIF kit to use as a guide. I know I'm crazy, but I want to use my Hasegawa kit instead of building the HP kit, as I need the experience, and the HG kit has much better detail parts; in addition, I have the CMK cockpit and wheel bay sets, as well as the Eduard etched set. Will also use the Lanc  props, which will have to be reshaped, from the look of the photos Troy posted,  and spinners. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but am hoping Graham or ToT will be able to guide me. Thanks in advance, and hoping I haven't uncorked another can of the infamous  wiggly annelids!

Mike

I missed this thread when it appeared but in case anyone is interested I did my 1/72 Beaufighter II using the Magna conversion. I'm not sure if it is still available, I've an idea someone on BM was the UK agent, possibly via Freightdog?

Build article http://hrmtech.com/SIG/articles/Magna_BeauII_72_build.asp

9 hours ago, rossm said:

...I did my 1/72 Beaufighter II using the Magna conversion. I'm not sure if it is still available, I've an idea someone on BM was the UK agent, possibly via Freightdog?

Build article http://hrmtech.com/SIG/articles/Magna_BeauII_72_build.asp

Think @chris57 is/was the Magna agent.

Not sure I would follow the old Airfix Beau/Magna conversion route nowadays but that is a beautifully written and presented conversion article.  Alan Hall would have approved.

I'm sure one of the U.K. Resin accessory guys (Alec from Alley Cat possibly) listed a 1/72 Beaufighter II conversion as a future project when the new tool Airfix kit was launched.

Edge

22 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Think @chris57 is/was the Magna agent.

Not sure I would follow the old Airfix Beau/Magna conversion route nowadays but that is a beautifully written and presented conversion article.  Alan Hall would have approved.

Thanks for the info on the agent and for the compliments. A quick check of the hard drive reveals the article was written in 2004!

I expect the High Planes kit would give a better result but be at least as challenging.

1 hour ago, rossm said:

Thanks for the info on the agent and for the compliments. A quick check of the hard drive reveals the article was written in 2004!

I expect the High Planes kit would give a better result but be at least as challenging.

Perhaps kit-bashing the High Plane wing on an Airfix  would work? That is, if you can get one.

/Finn

13 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Perhaps kit-bashing the High Plane wing on an Airfix  would work? That is, if you can get one.

/Finn

That's the way my thoughts tend at the moment: High Planes kit with maximum use of Airfix TF.X components.  But that's without having done any compatibility testing of the two wing root chords and depths.  And there would be some tedious work to reconcile the two surface detail philosophies, fine raised detail (IIRC) on High Planes v robust engraved detail of Airfix.  The HP kit is not actually bad once cleaned up and the route of least pain might end up being major airframe components from HP with Airfix detail parts (cockpit, undercarriage).

Edited by Seahawk
Strike-through of erroneous statement: see next 2 posts.

10 hours ago, occa said:

The HP kits all have recessed panel lines

Thank you, indeed they do, and very fine ones at that: evidently I did NOT remember correctly!  Having now compared the levels of engraving on the HP kit and the new Airfix Beaufighter TF.X, I no longer think the discrepancy would be too glaring - certainly not a show-stopper. 

• Like 1

As Troy mentioned,.......I bought a couple of old Polish resin kit of the Beaufighter Mk.II`s in bag without any names or instructions ,.... don`t know the make but here they are built up;

1-72nd Beaufighter II- old polish resin kitDSCF5785_NEW

And here is the silver one after it had been refurbished and repainted;

beau 2 high planes 2

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

There you go @tonyot O'toole showing off again. ;) :P Lovely builds as usual Tony, I really like the finish on the black one, not too much, not too little, just right, to paraphrase an ad I don't remember what for now. :( 

I've the Highplanes Mk II kit, while engaged on some constructive caressing test fitting, I found the main components fitted really well & I reckon it should build up nicely.

Steve.

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, tonyot said:

As Troy mentioned,.......I bought a couple of old Polish resin kit of the Beaufighter Mk.II`s in bag without any names or instructions ,.... don`t know the make but here they are built up;

1-72nd Beaufighter II- old polish resin kitDSCF5785_NEW

And here is the silver one after it had been refurbished and repainted;

beau 2 high planes 2

Cheers

Tony

Hi

That resin beaufighter reminds of an old advert i saw years ago for a range of rareish resin subjects, a model shop on the east coast somewhere ?

but i was to late to buy any and they never re appeared

cheers

jerry

On 10/2/2018 at 7:31 AM, Edge said:

I'm sure one of the U.K. Resin accessory guys (Alec from Alley Cat possibly) listed a 1/72 Beaufighter II conversion as a future project when the new tool Airfix kit was launched.

And the moment has arrived:

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/bristol-beaufighter-mk2-merlin-powered-early-conversion-airfix-6624-p.asp

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/bristol-beaufighter-mk2-merlin-powered-later-conversion-airfix-6625-p.asp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi

does the airfix beau include the flat tailplanes ? 

and hopefully someone does it in 1:48 for the revell beau 👍

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

9 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

does the airfix beau includd flat tailplanes ? 

No, but Alleycat do them as well.  

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/early-beaufighter-mkivi-conversion-6526-p.asp

As well you pointed that out, as they will be a necessary additional purchase for most (all?) Beaufighter II conversions.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2