North American FJ-2 Fury

Sabrejet

I noted some debate on the Kitty Hawk ejection seat. I've managed to find some scaleable NAA drawings and measured the seat width at approx. 22inches, or 11.7mm in 1/48:

xx3

And the KH seat is....approximately 11.4mm. So I'm happy that KH got it right in terms of width. The proportions look good too, so I'd say those other seats are wrong, not Kitty Hawk. Each time I look at this kit I find precise dimensions so I think we need to stop picking holes in it and rejoice in a job well done. 🤗

• Like 1

The only real problem I have with the seat is the head rest. I think it is too large and lacks detail. A shame since the rest of the kit is so well executed. The canopy will not close completely with the canopy resting on top of the head rest so you either build with an open canopy or cut down the seat. However, overall I'm pretty happy with the kit and think that it is one of the best, if not the best KH kit that I have bought or that they have done. Certainly it is their best in 1/48th.  

• 2 weeks later...

Kursad at Caracal Decals has announced that he will do a 1/48 FJ-2 sheet with the three XFJ-2/2Bs; a GSB production aircraft and two Reserve schemes. He is also going to do a stencil sheet for NMF/gull grey + GSB schemes, with corrected stencils. 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/310660-cd48171-148-fj-2-fury/

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Kursad at Caracal Decals has announced that he will do a 1/48 FJ-2 sheet with the three XFJ-2/2Bs; a GSB production aircraft and two Reserve schemes. He is also going to do a stencil sheet for NMF/gull grey + GSB schemes, with corrected stencils. 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/310660-cd48171-148-fj-2-fury/

Hoping he will be at our IPMS chapter annual contest here on the 15th- will see if I can squeeze additional info from him- still petitioning him to do the WW2 FAA  red codes with the white outlines that he has stated he would like to do at some point in the future.

Mike

42 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Hoping he will be at our IPMS chapter annual contest here on the 15th- will see if I can squeeze additional info from him- still petitioning him to do the WW2 FAA  red codes

If you can ask him if hes going to scale up the 72nd sheets ? I really need the VF-73 Jesters markings in both scales. I plan on building one in each scale. Using the Kittyhawk and Sword kits of the Fj-3.

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you can ask him if hes going to scale up the 72nd sheets ? I really need the VF-73 Jesters markings in both scales. I plan on building one in each scale. Using the Kittyhawk and Sword kits of the Fj-3.

I think somebody here on BM said he is planning to do just that, Dennis. I will definitely ask him if he comes to Modelfiesta 39 next week. (I will need to go in disguise or all the Austin and San Antonio 1/72 modelers I know will get on my case and want to know why the heck I don't have anything entered!)

Mike

• Like 1

Hi All

I'm in the middle of building the KH FJ-2 and had a quick question regarding the small rectangular cutouts present on the fuselage spine.

What are these exactly and should they be open (are they a vent or exhaust) or just indentations like provided by KH ?

I can't find any good photos that show clearly what these might be.

spacer.png

Thanks in advance

cheers

Gary

47 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

FJ-3 similar:

FJ-3

Great thanks @Sabrejet. They look like actual vents or exhausts of some sort that would benefit from being cut out and opened on the KH kit, rather than left as trenches.

Any idea what they actually are (as this might help determine how to reproduce the insides ?

Ok great, I think that gives me enough to work with.

I did also find a couple of other photos (of FJ-3's) that someone else may find helpful if they have the same query.

They don't seem to be as wide as what KH provides so some adjusting on the kit may be needed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

@Sabrejet @Courageous @Corsairfoxfouruncle,

Just got back from Modelfiesta 39, our IPMS chapter's annual contest, and was hoping Kursad from Caracal Models would be there, as he sometimes is, but I didn't run  into him. I can tell you, if you go to his website, he has three new 1/48 FJ-2/3 Fury decal sheets coming out as future releases intended for the Kittyhawk kits, CD 48-171 for FJ2's pt. 1, CD 48-172 for FJ-2's pt. 2,  and CD 48-173 for FJ-3/3M's. No release date or photos of the sheets yet, but you can go to his website (Caracal models dot com)  and check back from time to time. I get an email from him announcing new sheets as they are released, so if I see them, I will re-post back here...glad you 1/48 guys are getting some nice sheets. I did read some comments he made a while back on another modeling website that the original release date was moved back, as the schemes he was planning to do were already included on the Kittyhawk kit. Hope this helps!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:43 AM, Sabrejet said:

Each time I look at this kit I find precise dimensions so I think we need to stop picking holes in it and rejoice in a job well done. 🤗

I agree. Thank you Collect Aire.

Gene K

• Like 2

Strangest part of the Collect Aire kit is the aft fuselage which is way too narrow - almost to the point it looks to be a different scale. No such disparity on the Kitty Hawk kit, so I think we can safely say the two have nothing in common.

CA

• Like 1

First, I never said the CA kit was perfect, obviously it was not,  just the most accurate. And at the time, it was up until KH decided to do theirs. Your photos above for comparison are not from the same angle so it is not really a valid comparison. When I had the CA kit I overlaid a fuselage half over reasonably accurate drawings and the two lined up well. Also, I have it based on fairly good sources that KH bought and imported several CA kits, one of which was the Fury during their startup.  Did they line for line copy it? Perhaps not but it is certainly likely they used it somewhat in the planning of their own kit using it along with other available resources. There are a few familiar modeling and research names that were feeding KH with reference material as well, hoping to help them make more accurate kits.

I certainly appreciate your contribution of the photos and reference materials on the Fury as I am sure many others here do as well. I know it has not only helped me enriched my knowledge base as well as wealthily adding to my previously obtained reference material on the Fury. That being said, there may be information that you may not have been exposed to regarding KH and their beginnings. 

17 minutes ago, jpk said:

First, I never said the CA kit was perfect, obviously it was not,  just the most accurate. And at the time, it was up until KH decided to do theirs. Your photos above for comparison are not from the same angle so it is not really a valid comparison.

Not necessarily a good comparison but shows how the line of the fuselage continues into the tail section on the real aircraft. As you can see (and also on other builds of this kit) it doesn't on the CA kit.

and I'm not sure there's much mileage in mentioning the CA kit in the presence of the KH one. You'd also have to ask why KH would bother using a kit with shape issues as the basis for theirs. Did they use an Esci kit too?

So. Back to the Kitty Hawk kit then? FJ-3/3M must be due soon...

7 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Not necessarily a good comparison but shows how the line of the fuselage continues into the tail section on the real aircraft. As you can see (and also on other builds of this kit) it doesn't on the CA kit.

and I'm not sure there's much mileage in mentioning the CA kit in the presence of the KH one. You'd also have to ask why KH would bother using a kit with shape issues as the basis for theirs. Did they use an Esci kit too?

So. Back to the Kitty Hawk kit then? FJ-3/3M must be due soon...

Not necessarily a good comparison? Why use it if it really does little to illustrate your opinion? Will I admit the KH kit is better? I'd be a fool to say otherwise, of course it is and far and away better but you seem to want to ignore that until late 2019 the CA kit was the best, most accurate on the market and that is a fact. And by accurate, I meant in outline. Obviously the plastic kit is far more detailed than the resin kit. The CA kit is for the most part been rendered functionally obsolete and of value only to collectors now. 

But a simple reminder, If you go back in time before KH released their Cougars, they initially posted on their FB page a photo of the mule for their two seater. The fuselage was quite wrong and I suggested to them they ought to correct it and get it right because the market for a Cougar is not as large as it is for a Mustang or Spitfire, so if they don't, be ready for some flak and disappointing sales. They did correct it and wound up producing some pretty good kits of the Cougar. Conversely, look what happened to their Banshee. With the Fury, I believe they learned a lesson and produced a very nice kit. Perfect no but a very nice kit.  

And yes, I hope the -3 is out soon.

1 minute ago, jpk said:

Not necessarily a good comparison? Why use it if it really does little to illustrate your opinion?

I was trying to be kind: for most, it will serve very well, and shows exactly what I was referring to. It's not opinion however: QED. 👍

26 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I was trying to be kind: for most, it will serve very well, and shows exactly what I was referring to. It's not opinion however: QED. 👍

Not to belabor it but truthfully, your illustrations do very little to support your claim. They are very different angles of the subject. Retake the photo of the kit at a more comparable angle and then make your claim. Until then I respectfully disagree. 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:53 AM, Sabrejet said:

So double kudos KH and no thanks to CA.

That's cold.

EDIT: I taped the CA fuselage against the KH : KH is 2mm longer at nose;  CA is fatter at rear; rear fuselage "slopes" match perfectly.

QAGIOq5.jpg

P0iZnxI.jpg

vW8qogr.jpg

I love the KH Fury... and admire Sabrejet.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
Added Image links