North American FJ-2 Fury

Sabrejet

On 6/25/2019 at 4:34 PM, jpk said:

Beautiful job Harold on a not so accurate kit. I'm sure you are looking forward to the Kitty Hawk Fury.  If you recall, we once had some communications going on surrounding the Collect Aire FJ-3 many years ago. You were considering an attempt to create a Fury kit yourself. I had sent you my beat up CA kit for you to examine.  

Yep, I remember well. It was just a bit beyond my abilities at the time, still is...LOL

Got fingers and toes crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:56 AM, Sabrejet said:

This isn't the full story: the first two aircraft were based on the F-86F and the potential modeller should note the basic airframe differences between those and the third, armed machine which was based on the F-86E:

So 133754 and 755 - F-86F-based with the prominent fuselage-top vent/exhaust panel:

And then F-86E-based 133756 (armed), which had the flush fuselage-top and the fuselage side vents:

133756 (3)

It's also worth pointing out that the first two usually carried FJ-style drop tanks while the armed version carried F-86-style 120-gal tanks. Other differences are detailed elsewhere.

Sabrejet, I have a question re the -2/3 Fury's that you may know something about. The question is regarding the introduction of the ribbed rudder and the ribbed stabs. I see the ribbed rudder as being introduced post GSB slat wing -3's. I don't have any photos of GSB slat wing -3's with the ribbed rudder. I don't have any photos contemporaneously of -2's with either the ribbed rudder or stabs. The only photo I have of a -2 with a ribbed rudder is when it was moved to the reserves. Additionally, I have no photos showing later GoW -3's with the ribbed stabs. Were they ever introduced to the active fleet aircraft? Can you offer any guidance on these questions?     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpk said:

Sabrejet, I have a question re the -2/3 Fury's that you may know something about. The question is regarding the introduction of the ribbed rudder and the ribbed stabs. I see the ribbed rudder as being introduced post GSB slat wing -3's. I don't have any photos of GSB slat wing -3's with the ribbed rudder. I don't have any photos contemporaneously of -2's with either the ribbed rudder or stabs. The only photo I have of a -2 with a ribbed rudder is when it was moved to the reserves. Additionally, I have no photos showing later GoW -3's with the ribbed stabs. Were they ever introduced to the active fleet aircraft? Can you offer any guidance on these questions?     

I think they just made it to the last VMF birds before they were retired. VMF-235 had some; and VMF-232, as the last FJ-2 USMC unit, may also have.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 2:54 PM, Sabrejet said:

I think they just made it to the last VMF birds before they were retired. VMF-235 had some; and VMF-232, as the last FJ-2 USMC unit, may also have.

Would they not have made it to the latter navy -3/3M aircraft as well if the marine -2's got them?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Just kicking this one to the top of the pile as I see KH is ready to ship its new 1/48 FJ-2. Can't wait because the sprue shots look really nice. :)

Nice punt to the top Sabrejet. 

Didn't the FJ-2's take part in the USN natural metal trials ?.  Hope so as I am currently still in my NM/polished alum phase of modelling life.

Any idea of the kit final decal sheet ?.

Dennis

18 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Nice punt to the top Sabrejet. 

Didn't the FJ-2's take part in the USN natural metal trials ?.  Hope so as I am currently still in my NM/polished alum phase of modelling life.

Any idea of the kit final decal sheet ?.

Dennis

All FJ-2s started life in natural metal and most finished that way. A few of the late-service aircraft received the gull gray over white scheme and carried that into Reserve service. Then of course most NMF FJ-2s were repainted in the white/orange Reserve scheme.

I do have a rundown of the kit markings, but IIRC they comprised only active duty USMC units, so no Reserves etc.

EDIT: schemes as revealed a while back: they may have changed since.

khmkh80155_1

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

All FJ-2s started life in natural metal and most finished that way. A few of the late-service aircraft received the gull gray over white scheme and carried that into Reserve service. Then of course most NMF FJ-2s were repainted in the white/orange Reserve scheme.

I do have a rundown of the kit markings, but IIRC they comprised only active duty USMC units, so no Reserves etc.

EDIT: schemes as revealed a while back: they may have changed since.

khmkh80155_1

Thanks for the prompt reply Sabrejet.  I'd managed to answer my own question at the same time as you posted the above !!.

A couple of those will go down very well this side of the Mac and get me back to 48th.

Regards

Dennis

6 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Can't find the link, but here are the shots (not my photos):

Thanks.

I see KH is ready to ship its new 1/48 FJ-2

Was that info in the same link?

and

Was there mention of the FJ-3?

Sorry for the follow on questions ... I am anxious .:clap:

Gene K

1 hour ago, sloegin57 said:

Sabrejet,

where were the catapult hooks located on the XFJ-2's (looking at a Hobbycraft F-86F somewhat sideways) ?

Dennis

Dennis,

It's at the aft end of the barrier guard (circled):

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Tommy,

Those views show the production one (mounted on the fwd centre wing box web), but the XFJ seems to have it as the aft part of the barrier guard. Do you have any better shots than the one with Bob Hoover (above)?

9 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The problem appears to be that the link in the post includes a period at the end of it. Delete the period and it works...

DUH ... I knew that :doh:

I spent  a great morning yesterday reviewing MANY Sabre/Fury posts by you and Sabrejet, and as always, was in awe of  both of your  knowledge and willingness to share.  You've sure had a great positive impact on my hobby..

Thanks to both of you! 

Gene K

• Like 1

One of the very first models I ever built, with much help from my Dad, 60 some odd years ago was a Lindbergh fury. Fell in love with the navy blue finish. Really hoping the new one from KH willbe as good as the spruce shots look. It'll need to be total crap before I don't buy one.

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Tommy,

Those views show the production one (mounted on the fwd centre wing box web), but the XFJ seems to have it as the aft part of the barrier guard. Do you have any better shots than the one with Bob Hoover (above)?

You probably have all the XFJ-2 pictures that I have. There’s one from the side with the pendant attached that may provide an indication of that. The FJ-2 in the picture that I posted is the one hanging from the ceiling at the National Naval Air Museum at Pensacola. It is marked as one of the XFJ-2s but isn’t.

• Like 1

Just a little thing. Didn't the shape of the catapult attachment hook recess change between the -2 and -3? I don't recall which way it went, rectangle to trapezoid or the other way. A very minor thing overall. It certainly would not affect my buying the kit. Over on Cybermodeler they have the FJ-3 listed as a 4Q 19 release so maybe they will both be released in sequence fairly quickly before the end of the year.