Color question regarding USN change from flat to glossy finish

Spitfires Forever

Hello my Britmodeller comrades

got another question which I am sure will be quickly addressed. After watching some video on a newly rebuilt Avenger in a beautiful all glossy deep blue scheme I couldn't help but wonder when and why the USN went from flat to glossy on their aircraft. It would seem that the glare would be a tell tale sign that aircraft were on their way to the target, or they just didn't care because they had air superiority? Just a thought. Anyway I am curious, and since I am on a Pacific Theatre kick right now the info will be helpful. Thanks guys, and all the best.

Cheers

During 1943 the Navy found glossy paints were easier to maintain than flat paints; the glossy paints also reduced surface drag.  An interim scheme was introduced using Glossy Sea Blue, Glossy White, and Glossy Intermediate Blue (which was to be numbered ANA 624 - though it never was).  The scheme was (officially) in effect for several months, though very few photos show this three-tone glossy camouflage.  The overall Glossy Sea Blue was adopted for fighters in early 1944, and for all carrier-based aircraft later the same year, gain for ease of maintenance and drag reduction, with the added advantage of the ease of application for a monchromatic scheme.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you ever get up close and personal to a modern US Navy aircraft you see one thing if nothing else then it's lot's of touching up of the paintwork. OK for modern aircraft with lots of time. Not so much in wartime. Any exposed metal will corrode quickly at sea. Gloss paint is less prone to it.

You all have confirmed my suspicions, guess that's why the air show aircraft have gone glossy. I talked to a maintenance officer at NAS Lemoor and he said that every 28 days they go over their aircraft looking for corrosion and that is why some naval aircraft look quite splotchy at times. Corrosion is a constant battle. I also remember reading many WWII stories where the pilots had their crew chiefs wax the finish in order to squeeze a couple more critical knots out of their planes. Regardless that glossy deep sea blue sure looks pretty, but these airshow airplane sure are loose with their color schemes sometimes. So did very P-40 ever made have a shark mouth? One would think they did when one attends an airshow! Anyway, thanks again guys.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

During 1943 the Navy found glossy paints were easier to maintain than flat paints; the glossy paints also reduced surface drag.  An interim scheme was introduced using Glossy Sea Blue, Glossy White, and Glossy Intermediate Blue (which was to be numbered ANA 624 - though it never was).  The scheme was (officially) in effect for several months, though very few photos show this three-tone glossy camouflage.  The overall Glossy Sea Blue was adopted for fighters in early 1944, and for all carrier-based aircraft later the same year, gain for ease of maintenance and drag reduction, with the added advantage of the ease of application for a monchromatic scheme.

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks for your input Dana. Weren't their some Privateers that had a similar glossy tri-color finish? I remember seeing some that seemed to have a more turquoise/aquamarine color used instead of the old intermediate grey-blue. Maybe it's my imagination, the monitor on my computer, or the color photos in the books.

Cheers