1/72 F8F Bearcat

Good evening everyone.

For my next project I decided to do something that wasn't bare metal or camo. 

I had a Monogram F8F in my stash for a long time, but dreaded the thought of building it, since the decals had yellowed terribly. At last I decided to build it. I thought I'd either try to fix the decals (put in sunlight to get it white again), or find replacement decals, or just use some of my many spares and build a "generic" Bearcat without unique markings. But "luck" wasn't on my side. I couldn't get the decals white again, couldn't find replacement decals and couldn't get my head around building a Bearcat with generic markings. After all, this would probably be my first and last Bearcat, since there aren't a lot of them available in 1/72 out there (the only other one I'm aware of is the Revell, which is the same sprues, just different decals).

In the end I decided to use the decals as is and see how it turns out.

So it turns out the yellowing of the decals aren't terribly visible against a the glossy sea blue paint scheme!

Despite the kit's age, I really enjoyed building it - and someone once told me enjoying it is the whole point.

Won't win any model-of-the-year awards, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

20171007_183534i.jpg

20171007_184455i.jpg

20171007_184542i.jpg

I used Tamiya's AS-8 Navy Blue rattle can spray, and the other bits were brush painted with Humbrol Acrylics.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 42

That looks really good Jimmy :thumbsup: !

You’ve got a nice finish there with the Tamiya rattle can and, as you say, the decals look just fine.

A really classic build, if it’s enjoyable, I need one very soon :D!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying them IS the point. Nice looking Bearcat 👍 you saved a step in the life of your model ... Decals tend to yellow on kits after they've been built and sit around a number of years. You just built the kit that was pre-aged thats all.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Nice work. Isn't it funny that we get numerous identical Spitfire or BF109 variants from every manufacturer, and other aircraft miss out completely? 

In general, the "piston twilight" fighters seem to be a bit neglected in 1/72. I've always had a soft spot for the Bearcat...its such a compact, grunty looking thing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:28 PM, JimmyZ said:

Good evening everyone.

For my next project I decided to do something that wasn't bare metal or camo. 

I had a Monogram F8F in my stash for a long time, but dreaded the thought of building it, since the decals had yellowed terribly. At last I decided to build it. I thought I'd either try to fix the decals (put in sunlight to get it white again), or find replacement decals, or just use some of my many spares and build a "generic" Bearcat without unique markings. But "luck" wasn't on my side. I couldn't get the decals white again, couldn't find replacement decals and couldn't get my head around building a Bearcat with generic markings. After all, this would probably be my first and last Bearcat, since there aren't a lot of them available in 1/72 out there (the only other one I'm aware of is the Revell, which is the same sprues, just different decals).

In the end I decided to use the decals as is and see how it turns out.

So it turns out the yellowing of the decals aren't terribly visible against a the glossy sea blue paint scheme!

Despite the kit's age, I really enjoyed building it - and someone once told me enjoying it is the whole point.

Won't win any model-of-the-year awards, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

20171007_183534i.jpg

20171007_184455i.jpg

20171007_184542i.jpg

I used Tamiya's AS-8 Navy Blue rattle can spray, and the other bits were brush painted with Humbrol Acrylics.

Cheers

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Sword did a 1/72 Bearcat that can be built as an F8F-1 or an F8F-2, as it comes with two fuselages and cowling bits to do either one. Might be hard to find, though. Nice job on the Monogram kit, though. The Sword kit also comes with a very nice resin wheel bay insert, as there is a ton of ducting, plumbing, and wiring in there, if you've ever seen the real thing, and Monogram not only didn't box in the wheel bays, they didn't give any details for them, either.

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy!!!

Congratulations for this nice Bearcat!!!

I have the same you have built here and three more Revell's  in sealed box, I heard some words of Sword and Attack Squadron kits,  but will be happy with the ones at hand at least for now. Maybe one day will get one of them and try to make it like you. Wish mine turns at least 40% nicer of yours and will be very happy with that!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2019 at 7:34 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @JimmyZ... I just found one of these. Any tips you can pass on ? Anything i should look for ? Thanks 

Dennis

Hi Corsair,

I can't remember any major issues. I think the fit was alright. I do remember that the vertical fin had accuracy issues. Somewhere between a -1 and -2 (too big for -1 and too small for -2, or the other way around). 

Don't know if you want to attempt to correct that.

Also the decals were crap because it was an old kit. Not sure if yours has new decals.

Good luck! Feel free to post a link of your build here.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Thanks 1