1/72 Matchbox Lancaster... with Extras

Thom216

Got a little more work done this morning and finished paneling the wings. Like the tip lights, I used tape to transfer the lines and help with placing them, then scribes with dymo tape.

FJ8jfhK.jpg

CiD0NRD.jpg

ZjIuhC7.jpg

Not exact, unless I wanted to put a hela more time into it. Need to lightly sand the whole thing, because there are some slight blemishes, then get those wing tip lights in place. 

Question, the wing tip lights, are they clear or colored? 

I also need to panel the tail planes, can't forget about those. Then start on the flaps once all the other work is done on the wings. Save fragile for last.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4

I feel your scribing pain, however this is looking very good indeed. 

It appears that your keeping the original Matchbox wing panel lines in place.

I was never sure if these were accurate or not, however if your just adding new lines and keeping what the kit has, then that's a major time saver. 

Regarding Wingtip lights, my educated guess would be clear, if they were tinted you'd probably notice these as a darker colour/shade - even in B & W photographs. 

I'm sure the answer lies within looking at many Lancaster photographs. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

I know it's a difficult part to do some re-scribbing, but it will be worth it in the end.:thumbsup:

I love what you have done with the kit and keep up the good work.

The wingtip lights are clear with a coloured bulb.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Pretty sure both Tallboy and normal conventional bomb doors are in this kit and Thom has used the correct set. For some reason Matchbox moulded the Tallboy doors as two whole pieces, however the normal sized bomb bay doors come with a split in the middle as four parts (two left, two right?)

From what I see, this project is on track to be a real corker! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys! The help is greatly appreciated. 

Yes, it does come with two sets, and I was hoping the two long bomb bay doors would be the correct ones, as they would require less work. Didn't know they were for the Tallboy bomb, just that they stick out proud of the fuselage at the back. But the four doors went together alright in the end.

And clear lenses! Thanks for the info. I finally found some pics on the web too. Failing both, I was going to leave them clear with plans for painting later if warranted.

Did a little more work this morning. I decided to open the observer's 'hole' under the rear canopy - and promptly split the seam half way down the fuselage. :o No fears though, it's setting with a new application of CA. I'll just sand it out again. Also decided to do the escape hatches. From what I understand, they are a little proud of the top, so I'm going to use thin, clear styrene, cut into squares, then mask for the window. Don't know yet if I'll drill down through the top, or just leave the plastic black underneath. Considering that I may pop the seam again, I think I'll go the paint route.;)

The clear parts have also had their Future bath and are drying under a cover. To deal with the gaps at the front of the canopy, I'm just going to smear Mr. Dissolved Putty along it after its dry. A new jar is very liquid-y, whereas an older one I have is a lot thicker and not likely to run. Just apply and smear it off, either with a finger or moist cotton bud. Or, that's how easy I hope it goes...:wonder:

I also drilled some pilot holes for the under wing lights on the starboard side. I'll drill the holes large enough to accept a piece of the clear sprue each, with the end polished and just press them in.

And since it's easy enough, I'll also do the escape hatch for under the nose.

It's all so easy....:nah:

• Like 1

Here the under wings lights are going together. Again, I used clear sprue, although if I use this technique again, I would 1) do it before the wings went together, and 2) used acrylic rod, as the sprue is not perfectly round...

FLoDW9E.jpg

wdzDSNF.jpg

They look a bit better from a distance...

Then I started the wing tip lights. I use clear acrylic for this, as I have a plentiful supply, it is thick enough for most wings, and I have found that the acrylic does not fog when used with CA. So, I cut some chunks out, drilled some holes for bulbs and put red and green (hopefully!) on the correct sides.

j0Ixt1Z.jpg

PkSr2pt.jpg

It always looks so baaad at this point!

14E6Q04.jpg

But it gets better. After it gets worse...

8qQoeZi.jpg

cRxz6AW.jpg

There are some deeper scratches I need to go back at, and the underside needs to be leveled out a bit more, but that's one big job done!

Then I got caught in sanding hell... I put the shroud for the top turret in place, then added Mr Dissolved Putty to smooth out the sides. And rather than just go slow and build up layers, I stupidly decided to just sand it. Which, coupled with panel lines and errors, meant I was sanding for quite a while. And narrowing that part of the fuselage! It's not too noticeable, but it's there...

tgRmA4h.jpg

Once the wing tip lights are fixed up, I'll start doing the flaps and then the nacelles. I thought I might do two Matchbox kits in this GB, but at the pace I'm going, this may be it by February!!:o

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 10

Terrific progress on the Lanc.

It's always nice to see the end of those nasty jobs and I'm sure you'll be releaved when the wings get attached to the fuselage.

Have you decided what scheme/unit this Lanc will be once completed?

Cheers.. Dave

Great work on this one.....i'm rapidly running out of 'likes'!

Quick question - what do you use for measuring bulkheads?

It's the one part of scratch work that always does my head in - I usually end up with one side perfect but the other way off.

All advice appreciated!

Keep up the great work.

Dermot

I'm a 'futz' with it kind of guy. As in, futz with it till it fits!:wink:

Um, the floor that I put in for the cockpit, was measured using the width of the bomb bay roof. As for the bulkhead, between the bomb bay and the nose, that was measured using the lower curve of the fuselage, then sanded to fit.

Edited by Thom216

Still moving along!

I'm calling the wing tip lights done. I also did the roof escape hatches. Drilled some holes and covered them with clear plastic. I'll mask for the windows.

pYX92za.jpg

I'm starting on the flap area now. First, boxing in the area at either end.

6eX3v7D.jpg

Once dry, I'll trim and sand that flush, then start making the sixty ribs... But while that's drying, I'll also pulled the nacelles halves off the spru and started on them. The panel lines will be done along the raised lines, and I may add more. I'll also take off the solid-molded exhaust covers and the little inlets, and also reshape the main inlet under the props. First though, was cutting off the rear of the inner nacelles, as they move with the flaps.

jtwgEwH.jpg

GON8EUd.jpg

34O5Ff4.jpg

I'm thinking of leaving the exhaust shrouds off, to reveal the exhausts. But if I replace them, I'll see about using plastic straw or half-round styrene.

• Like 5

I finished grinding off the exhaust covers and the bumps, then used the raised lines to do the panel lines.

pcm1hdY.jpg

I'll need to clean those panel lines up, and maybe add a few more.

Then I went to the faces, which look nothing like the real thing.

I used a cutting wheel to do the first cuts, then used a hobby knife and slim sanding sticks to finesse the shapes.

Before,

pOFqhnR.jpg

And after,

LXecy2F.jpg

All four are pretty close in shape now, and need to be cleaned up some. Then, I'll need to make some radiator detail for inside there.

And I need to figure out how to do the props. They're supposed to be mounted as the nacelle halves go together, but I always prefer leaving them off until the end, after painting. Keeps them out of the way while I work.

So, a little bit done today. A lot more yet ahead.;)

• Like 8

That’s a vast improvement on those engine there - Excellent stuff. It would have been hard enough doing one, however we all know you’ve had to quadruple all this hard effort four times over. 

Great progress on here with every update all makes for good viewing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a vast improvement on those engine there - Excellent stuff. It would have been hard enough doing one, however we all know you’ve had to quadruple all this hard effort four times over. 

Great progress on here with every update all makes for good viewing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thank you very much! It's easier to do when I have some time for it, but with work now, my days off are split into single days rather than 'weekends' for the time being. Still, progress is progress.

As to your previous question about markings, I don't know that much about the squadrons, but I'll be doing her as 'Fanlight Fanny.' I was thinking of 'Victorious Virgin,' but I have a couple of Tamiya 1/48s and one of those will be V V. And whenever I get the room to display them, is when they get worked on...:wink:

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

For the props, rather than secure them now as the instruction would have be done, I'm leaving off Part 48. Part 49 will be glued to the front of the nacelle as directed, and then the prop shafts can slip and out with ease.

Zy5aPND.jpg

Q4eCxRV.jpg

w4xbvW8.jpg

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5

On 27/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, Dermo245 said:

Great work on this one.....i'm rapidly running out of 'likes'!

Quick question - what do you use for measuring bulkheads?

It's the one part of scratch work that always does my head in - I usually end up with one side perfect but the other way off.

All advice appreciated!

Keep up the great work.

Dermot

Dermot,

Cut the bulkhead slightly oversize, then sand & check fit until you've got your one half perfect; then install it.  Brace round the edges with scrap plastic then, when dry, repeatedly trim, sand and check fit the other half by bringing the fuse halves together.

May be a bodger's solution, but it seems to work for me!

HTH

Martin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thom216 said:

For the props, rather than secure them now as the instruction would have be done, I'm leaving off Part 48. Part 49 will be glued to the front of the nacelle as directed, and then the prop shafts can slip and out with ease

Looks great and the props will spin - just don't dive to escape the nightfighters or the Lanc will be in trouble!

6 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Looks great and the props will spin - just don't dive to escape the nightfighters or the Lanc will be in trouble!

:worry:

Actually, what I may do is brush some CA onto the shafts. Should thicken them just enough so that they are snug. I don't need spinners, but having a prop 'malfunction' during maneuvers would not be good at all!:wink:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm waiting on some paint for the cockpit of the S6B, which means I will miss that deadline, so that one is on hold and I'm coming back to Fanny!

When I left off I was working on the nacelles - and I still am...

I was thinking I was going to have to scratch some radiators together, when I realized that I have some on the WEM fret, so I quickly folded those together. The sides are gappy, but those won't be seen. All that matters is the front and back being seen through the openings, and trial fits show good. They'll be painted a silver metal color and then washed, and then glued inside. Once those are set, I can close the nacelles up. After, of course, putting backings into the exhaust holes. Don't want those resin exhausts to fall in, now do we..?;)

khj51dU.jpg

Once that's done, I'll head to the gear wells which will require some cutting and shaping of the holes, and then placement of the PE parts.

• Like 6