1/72 Matchbox Lancaster... with Extras

Thom216

Okay, so time to start my second Group Build build.

I bought this Matchbox Lancaster at a model show for $10. It was a fluke buy, as 1/72 is not my normal scale, and it still isn't, but now I have a couple of 1/72 bombers waiting in the wings. Including a B-17 for the upcoming B-17 GB. What's happening to me..?

Anyway, I'm starting this with the Matchbox Lancaster.

rdHqhXF.jpg

xq1UOtA.jpg

wt0v71H.jpg

Now, I could just go with that and leave be. Have an 'okay' build at the end and be happy. Apparently, I'm a glutton for a thing called 'Punishment...'

Here are the extras...

b3eCZsk.jpg

UrHvNkc.jpg

InJU11U.jpg

So, that's 2 Quickboost sets, the air intakes for the nacelles and gun barrels.

3 PE sets, covering the cockpit, seatbelts and exterior details. And probably going to have to scratch build some interior for them.

4 resin exhausts sets, originally for the 1/72 P-40, but are near exact match for the Airfix Lancaster that I also have upstairs and should work here, with a little work...

And 2 decals sheets, one from Kitsworld (I'm leaning towards Nan) and another from Sky Models for the roundels and numerals.

Oh, and Masks for the Airfix kit that I hope may work with this one. We'll see...

Not saying this will all be a success, especially the resin intakes, but we'll have a good go at it and see what happens. :worry:

And yes, for the money spent on the extras, I could have bought another Airfix Lancaster and been happy with that, but then again, this isn't the Airfix Group Build!

Is there one, by the way..?:idea:

Anyway, I'm also going to see about panel-lines. Not many, and I might chicken out as that is what killed my last GB project. I also want to fix the shape of the nacelle inlets under the props, as the opening are too small and could use to be widened somewhat.

Probably won't start until Monday, which is my day off this week, along with working on my Tamiya /48 Do335 and the /1000 SBY Dreadnought.

We'll see!:think:

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 12

Great to see the Lancaster here and with all those goodies!!!! :Tasty:

O, the decals from sky models are good as well. If I am correct than they are printed by cartograf.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Nice to see another one of these being built. When I built one of these a year or so ago I really felt the need to replace the panel lines, the fuselage is easy enough to do by using the existing raised lines as a guide before rubbing them down, there are a few small ones on the nose that need to be added though.  The recessed lines on the wings I gave a re-scribe followed by a rub down, the trouble with the original lines being that they are too wide and have rounded edges. I also added new lines to the wings. The wing panel lines although broad are also quite shallow so by sanding I was able to reduce their width without filling. 

If you haven't done much etching before then I recommend using a re-scribing tool and dymo tape,  dymo tape is a perfect guide for etching tools. The trick with the etching tool is not to put any pressure on it and that normally you only need to go over the lines two or three times.

Best of luck with your build.

. . . and if you do want to go to town, the W/op.'s window needs re-locating . . .

23838680330_0066b3e05d.jpg

and something else I didnt realised until I applied the decals . . . the rear entry door needs re-positioning as well as its to far forward because it should be nearer to the tailplane . . . the door should be where the serial number is 

24712516992_26f80629c0.jpg

Good luck with the build, I shall be watching with great interest 

Ian

Ha! Me too! I wasn't considering buying the PE set for the flaps. There are some nice pics of them though, so I think I'll try and fab them first. The toughest part would be cutting exactly the same shape at exactly the same size for the interior ribbing.

Failing that, I'll buy a set.

Getting the detail on the small scale may well prove diffircult  without photo-etch but I did manage to get close with 'home-made' flaps for the larger scale Lancaster . . 

20063218573_7613449ab8.jpg

Are you going to try for the circular cut-outs along the trailing edge for your build ??

Ian

• Like 1

Well, it has been a few days since the last update. Sometimes my days off are a little odd, so time to work on the model has been a little scarce, just off and on stuff.

The flaps have been cut off and separated, and then thinned as the plastic was pretty thick. It's now thin enough to look closer to scale, if not be exact. I also glued the nose

pieces onto the fuselage sides, as that will make putting an interior in a lot easier. The join isn't something to write home about, so that will need a little work.

Ax33Iv9.jpg

Back to the wings, I taped the halves together and used a fine tip marker to mark out the box for the flaps.

This is after a lot of sanding and knife scraping of the thick plastic. I had a lot of little plastic 'dust' bunnies blowing around for a while.

jlBuao4.jpg

Then I laid down scotch tape over that and pulled out my digital calipers. Wonderful thing there, so glad I bought it! Looking at the PE images, I figured an adequate spacing to mimic

it, and drew the lines down. Those were then transferred to a card of paper so I did not lose them, and then transferred back to the wing with pencil.

1LRhuvH.jpg

UaTQSCR.jpg

Then I started into my styrene strip stock and found one that will serve great for the ribs. .010x.080 at 13mm long. Give or take. Then I started building the box inside the wing.

tVwI1Cl.jpg

My eagle-eyed modeling compatriots will notice the faux pas, I am sure...:wonder:

Yes! I am using the styrene that is just tall enough for the ribs, as the walls for the box, which means they would be by no means tall enough for my needs... They need to be twice

as tall, in order to completely close the area when the wing halves are joined. I noticed it when I paused to do a test-fit...

Oh me!!:rage:

So, I need taller styrene strip for that area. Thankfully I have some .010x.188 that should fit pretty good. I'm also going to a model show in Syracuse tomorrow, and I'll

drop in at the local model shop to see if there is one with a slightly smaller height than that.

So, that's enough for tonight. Back soon. Model on!:winkgrin:

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 12

This is the type of modelling I like most - making do with good old plastic card. 

Now seeing as if you don't mind the odd AM product, IIRC the kit's supplied wheels are way too large in diameter and ruin the final look of this kit.

I recall building this kit in the RAAF scheme as a young'n and always thought that the overall look and sit did not look right.

A few years later I read a great Scale Models article which reviewed all Lancaster kits in all scales (released up to that point) and this detail stuck out and confirmed my teenage observations.

There's plenty of AM wheels out there (tread and no tread), so you may have to open up the wallet one more time to pick up a set.

Sorry to help you spend your money - and no I will not respond to any nasty PM's from SWMBO!!

She's looking good Thom... having this same kit I'm also looking on with keen interest.

Cheers... Dave

P.S - Anyone that may be contemplating to build this kit in the RAAF scheme, the supplied paint chart suggests to paint the engine cowling covers black.

This is a misinterpretation of an old grainy B&W photo that actually had these covers removed. A66-1 was stripped back to Natural Metal overall. HTH

• Like 2

Thank you fellas! Work tomorrow, so I hope to get some work done on Tuesday.

And thanks for the info about the wheels. I can shake some more funds loose, if need be. I also have an Airfix and Revell kit I could rob parts from too.

Just bought a Tiger Squadron Lancaster from the model show for $20!:D

Okay, resin wheels from Brassin are on order and in the mail!

Now back to the flaps... I got some work done this morning on it before work. And it's funny how things go, as I am now glad I made that little snafu with the too narrow stryene strip. 

I got to the show yesterday (Sun), and in the middle of the day I went to Walt's Hobby, and bought some styrene strip that was going to be just the right size.

So, I get home and I'm relaxing and going through the 'spoils,' and I decide to clean up my mess from before. Well I sand that down and get the new styrene so see how it will fit.

And the fit looks good. It's just the right size. But then I'm thinking that I'm going to need to support this structure, more than likely with scrap plastic behind it. So, I reach for some

angled styrene, and while looking at I realize that it looks pretty dang close to the size of the styrene I just bought. And sure enough, checking the numbers, it is exactly the right size!

Been sitting in my Styrene Stash for years with little use, and suddenly, it's everything I need right there! Color me tickled!:D

I carefully cut a little slit in the bottom surface that will be glued to the wing, so I could bend it, and I glued it down this morning. With the wing taped together, it fits almost perfect. Needs a little fetling at the corners and to have the sides boxed in, and there is a slight lit extending out too. But that'll work out good in the end, as that will serve as a gluing surface for when the flaps go back on.

Pics!

wstFujx.jpg

sIqhZJX.jpgnv7SxT6.jpg

a7E7doT.jpg

I'll see about boxing them in tomorrow, and then I can get started on the ribs.

Huzzah!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4

Tank you very much!

The wings are being glued together now. After they're dry, I'll see about scribing some more lines into the surfaces, cleaning the edges and cutting out the marker lights. Then I'll finish boxing in those flap areas and start working on the ribs.

oYNo3T9.jpg

And those are drying, I started on the fuselage panel lines. I have the Airfix kit standing by as a 'go to.' I won't being going crazy with it though, but just making it look a little busier.

gPy1jVw.jpg

VGC24WW.jpg

Aaand repositioning the rear door.

NQA9GIE.jpg

JBUjPJe.jpg

If I ever get to doing one of my /48 Tamiya Lancasters, I'll have more confidence with those raised panel lines, that's for sure!:penguin:

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 6