1/12 Airfix Bentley ...or some of it

Jo NZ

Might I suggest that on the fuel lines; a pipe runs from the tank into the cockpit to a pressure gauge, out from that to the carbs, or it could be a single pipe taken off the main pipe with a Tee joint. A separate pipe runs from the fuel [tank] pressure pump to the top of the fuel tank. That is the set up on my 1930 Austin 7 Ulster.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:37 AM, Black Knight said:

Might I suggest that on the fuel lines; a pipe runs from the tank into the cockpit to a pressure gauge, out from that to the carbs, or it could be a single pipe taken off the main pipe with a Tee joint. A separate pipe runs from the fuel [tank] pressure pump to the top of the fuel tank. That is the set up on my 1930 Austin 7 Ulster.

That's very useful, thanks. I've been unable to get info on the routing of those lines and this seems logical.

Austin 7 Ulster? Not many of those about, would you happen to know a certain gentleman in the High Wycombe area?

Best regards,

Ian

Dashboard - I'd originally played around with engine turning and made a successfully figured ally plate which I cut the dash from. Unfortunately it had a few problems... first, I made it while the body was still in it's early stages and cut the profile to the outside of the body shape - so it is too big. Second, I misplaced one of the holes for the instruments - must have been a senior moment. Third, and most important, Birkin car has a plain alloy dash. It must be the only Blower Bentley without an engine turned one....:oops:

Here's the original, and the new improved plain one

IMG_3103

I'd already made the instrument surrounds, but needed to find something to put in them. They are fairly well hidden under the body, so absolute realism can be put to one side. I found some excellent instrument faces for the 1/8 Alfa: reducing the size and printing onto photo paper got reasonable reproductions. I scored the photo with a scalpel to represent needles, and cut the faces and the glasses (from laser print clear film) out with a circle punch. A little playing around with a black pen and I had a reasonable set of instruments.

Here's the completed dashboard

IMG_3110

• Like 13

That's lovely Jo, no idea how I managed to miss this entire thread for two years or whatever it is. My humblest apologies!

ISTR telling you (but my memory is a bit dodgy) that one of the things I'd really like to do was turn the Airfix Bentley into The Swiftmobile from School for Scoundrels. Although it is a bit sacrilegious!

Cheers,

Will

• Haha 1

That is a great dash Jo, such a pity is wasn't an engine turned one, you did really well on that with the first one. Is that a cup holder to the left of the steering column slot? I always though they were a modern innovation. ;) :D

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That is a great dash Jo, such a pity is wasn't an engine turned one, you did really well on that with the first one. Is that a cup holder to the left of the steering column slot? I always though they were a modern innovation. ;) :D

Steve.

No, that’s a sight glass for something or other.... the standard blower had two

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That's lovely Jo, no idea how I managed to miss this entire thread for two years or whatever it is. My humblest apologies!

ISTR telling you (but my memory is a bit dodgy) that one of the things I'd really like to do was turn the Airfix Bentley into The Swiftmobile from School for Scoundrels. Although it is a bit sacrilegious!

Cheers,

Will

Will, shame on you! Although you do get to see it in the flesh every once in a while... 

The swift mobile is much less sacrilegious - it will use far more kit parts than I did (10%?). Maybe start with the Heller 1/24 Bentley? 

Edited by Jo NZ
  • Like 1

A quick assembly to find out what doesn't fit anymore

(Actually it took about 5 hours to put it all together. Why do I use M0.6 nuts???)

IMG_3131

IMG_3129

IMG_3127

IMG_3126

IMG_3122

IMG_3120

IMG_3119

Edited by Jo NZ
  • Like 16

All your technical skills aside (but not ignored), you have a brilliant sense of line and design Jo. Also mechanical work of art which we're seeing so much of lately in big-scale land.

You NZ guys rock...😎

PS - That looks a lot like my Rolls 1/8 frame..................HINT.

PPS - What's that gauge on the cockpit wall at drivers elbow - brake pressure??? EKG monitor??

Edited by Codger

Thanks for all the comments and likes!

Codger, the blue boxed gauge on the left hand cockpit wall is a bit of a mystery. There are several pointers to what it might be though. The dashboard is smaller, as a result of the narrow body, so only contains essential information like oil pressure (one of the big gauges), boost, temperatures etc. Even the rev counter is moved to a steering wheel bracket. There's a hand pump on the left side of the cockpit, which I assume is to keep the fuel tank pressure up, as Autovacs were notoriously unreliable for fuel feed at the time. The gauge is in line between the engine (carbs on the left on the blower)  and the fuel and oil tanks, So I guess that it's a fuel pressure gauge. When it shows low pressure, pump like mad!

Steve - no laid back arms out, but the right arm very definitely outside the cockpit!

PS Codger, if I built one in 1/8, I think I'd start from scratch and build it in brass. It's much easier to fix mistakes on parts that you've made yourself rather than someone elses...

This build is part of my lead up to complete scratchbuilding, I started off remaking small parts on models and then bigger bits. The intention with the Bentley was to see if I could successfully make wire wheels and a new body.  All thanks to being inspired in the 1980s by Gerald Wingrove.  It's been a long haul to get there!

Edited by Jo NZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jo,

Great work and a very fine model.

The instrument in the blue mount is, I think, a humble speedometer. In searching around on the net, I've found two pictures, neither of which show it clearly. What they do show is that it's calibrated in tens from 10 to at least 140. At the top centre of the instrument is a linear odometer, just as in an ordinary car.

I presume that since the beast was driven on public roads, a speedo was mandatory so was fitted to comply with the law, but in driving, more attention was given to the rev-counter which is larger and has a much more prominent position in front of the driver.

Dave

Hi Dave

Interesting!  I know that it was driven from Welwyn to Brooklands fairly regularly, but without cyle wings, so not strictly legal anyway! If you look at the rev counter it also has mph marked on the inside of the graduations (Photo Jill Reger)

1929-birkin-blower-bentley-jill-reger

It may be that what looks like the odometer at the top of the dial is actually the word "Jaeger". I've made that mistake before....  Be nice to get some clearer photos.

Edited by Jo NZ

Hi Jo,

I know it would seem to be an odd location for a speedo. I saved the original photos but don't know how to post here and couldn't locate the source. Found it just! Link

Just scroll down and click on the thumbnails for a bigger picture. The whole gauge isn't visible but you can see what I take to be a speedo with a digital type odometer built in. What looks like the numbers 1 9 5 7 are visible.  Plus you can see the graduations going from 10 to past 130. The speed graduations on the large tachometer may not have been accurate enough for road use because the road speed would depend on the gearbox ratios and tyre size.

The car was driven on public roads quite often during it's later life when owned by "Rusty" Russ Turner so the speedo may be a later addition whereas some kind of tacho would always have been fitted.

Thanks for the link Dan - most useful.

Incidentally, the blue colour in parts of the cockpit where the stickers is thought to be the original colour of the car when it was first raced. 

Dave

As the others have said: your work is superb.

The original is another car that wins the: "What were they thinking" award. Another demented motoring creation.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Nick

15 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Jo,

The whole gauge isn't visible but you can see what I take to be a speedo with a digital type odometer built in.

Dave

Hi Dave

I agree! It certainly does look like an odometer and speedo. As it's in such an inaccesible place, maybe it was: 1- to keep it legal and 2 - to measure miles on components.  Engine blocks especially didn't last long!

Regarding the blue - as the case for the "auxiliary" speedo is the same blue, I assume that it was on the car before it got painted red - in 1931.

Jo

Edited by Jo NZ
  • Like 1