Sword F-80C - Latin style 1/72

Hi all! 

The latest in my series of types built in Latin colours. This time an F-80C Shooting Star operated by the 1st Grupo de Combate, Fuerza Aerea Colombiana (Colombian Air Force), and based at Palanquero Air Base.

She is depicted as she appeared when participating in “Operación Solidaridad”, which was a joint US-Latin forces exercise in March 1961. At that time she operated with others from Howard AFB, Panama. Other countries that participated were Peru and the USA. This is how she was at that time:

FAC1

The model is the Sword F-80C and is reasonably straight forward to build. Contrary to some reports, it needed little filler but did need some trimming and sanding here and there to get her reasonable. The biggest change from the kit is a addition of Fletcher wing tanks.  

So, what did I do/use?:

1. Sword F-80C kit

2. Hasegawa T-33A wing tanks. These need a slight mod by bringing the fins forward. They are inaccurate as they come in the kit.

3. Paints were Humbrol enamels – 27001 Aluminium metalcote overall, 209 Fluorescent Fire Orange, 21 Black, 226 Interior green, and others for small parts. Then Mattcote (for the dayglo) and Glosscote (the remainder) 

4. Decals were Armycast (for T-33 "Silver Star") plus the kit stencils and home printed serials and codes. The badge (home printed) on the port side was an exercise “zap”. I had no Spanish stencils so used the kit ones.

5. Weathered with Flory Dirt

Here she is:

_DSC0375flickr

_DSC0362flickr2

I hope you like her.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
typos
  • Like 36

Thanks again for your kind comments. I have a leaning towards the unusual and have latched on to Latin America for inspiration. As you say there is diversity and colour and some great types. I now have a handful of T-33s to finish,  a couple of Mustangs, a couple of Thunderbolts, a Couple of Beavers, a Corsair and a Neptune. All aimed to be Latins. It'll take some time ;).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

and looks neat with the T-33 tanks!

Standard fit for F-80s later on, particularly those supplied in Latin America.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Yes, Colin :). They were great for this build. I will be using a couple more from the sheets and then store them away for future reference. The next isnt from the sheet. In fact the next three aren't!

Thanks for tour comments.

Martin