Store Aircrafts 1/72. where do you put them?

Jack109

Good day everyone.

I have made my 40th model and I am starting to face an issue that I believe is common to a lot of us: where to store/keep all our models?

I do 1/72 ww1 -2 aircrafts so they are pretty small and this save space, but they are a lot.... I dont want really to display all of them on shelves as I am not exactly proud of all of them.  Also I like to have a small display space of around 20 and rotate them on an occasional base,

so I need to store them, away somehow and i am not sure which is the best way.

This is what I have thought:

- plastic boxes (the one used for under bed storages) with a foam layer bed and cocktail sticks to avoid the plane to move. the issue is that they are high, like 18cm and they take a lot of space if a pile 3-4 of them together.

- various tailored made plastic boxes (with the same layer of foam above): I can manifacture, adapt or find cardboard boxes but they will not be sturdy and they will be one different to another.

- I can pile the planes in boxes this will saw a lot of space but the models will get damaged

- wooden boxes: heavy and they take a lot of space.

What are your suggestions? or how do you store your planes?  I want to save space and have all of them neatly stored easily accessible and most important I don't want all of them on display.

Thank you guys, please post photos or links as its way better to understand this logistic aspect!!

Jack

When I moved house, I got some of the stackable supermarket produce boxes. I put some thin polystyrene sheet in the bottom of the box and arranged the aircraft so they didn’t touch each other. 

I then used cocktail sticks pushed into the polystyrene to hold the planes in place. The boxes stack neatly and securely :)

Stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good call... so it is as I imagined... random boxes I thought someone had a more organized way of doing it

the one I saw at an airshow had even a paper on to of the lid with shape of planes and their name so he knew what was inside looking at the lid...

I thought the space for storage was a common problem / issue we all faced

I use large mushroom boxes,  I pick them free from the green grocers in the market -

400.300.080-Mushroom-Tray-500x500.jpg

Place cereal box cut to shape on the bottom - as the stack together they are very stable.

Two ways for me. First was to attach e shaped supports to the roof supports in the loft and shelve them with hardboard. This works well if you have a clean loft with not too much dust etc coming in. Second are the lidded plastic boxes from wilkinson so which stack well. The models are placed on shredded paper inside the box and can be stacked within the box. I used this method to move 500 plus models when we moved house; there was minimum damage.

Hi!
Now I have two DETOLFs by IKEA, but I want to change them to something bigger and better space using cabinet. Maybe I'll order a uniqe one. I mean the IKEA's one leaves too much space between two shelfs, and even starts at the level of the floor. Who put models to him own foot? I work in 1/72 and build airplanes. Two flanker barely fits here into one level and no space for a single pilot figure... Actully I'm just afraid that it'll cost an arm and a leg.