Right of passage

Straight Six

This time around, glue is about the only thing that I haven't spilt….yet. Up until about five years ago my mum still had the lovely beech table that I used to use for modelling as a kid, and it was still covered in small mounds of rock-hard glue. Happy memories – less so for my mum.

Welcome to BM.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Straight Six said:

Returning to modelling after nearly 40 years.  Felt I had earned the right to join the forum following the spilling of a full bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin over the dining room table, much to the wife's chagrin.

I have spilt my Tamiya Extra Thin twice now.  The first time was onto the carpet - but amazingly, the carpet still looks fine and you wouldn't know. The second time was just at the weekend there; but, thankfully, not the whole bottle! It doesn't half stink the room out  for a couple of hours'.

These things happen. Little accidents are part-and-parcel of modelling. If everything went totally smoothly and according to plan, then perhaps we'd not like modelling so much.  It's nice to overcome challenges.

Welcome to BM.

4 hours ago, Straight Six said:

Returning to modelling after nearly 40 years.  Felt I had earned the right to join the forum following the spilling of a full bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin over the dining room table, much to the wife's chagrin.

OUCH - for me it was a pot of humbrol enamel dark green...

...over a brand new pair of black jeans / a leather chair - oh and an ivory coloured carpet...

Welcome Straight Six!

My most recent spill was thinned paint out of an open airbrush cup as I manoeuvered the A/B to get coverage- right onto my just-painted Revell 1/32 Hunter . . .  I won't be using an open cup

on the A/B in future . . .

Thanks for the welcome.  From hazy memory the last kit I did as a nipper was an Airfix (what else) Lancaster, and I seem to recall getting black Humbrol Enamel paint everywhere.

This time round I got the Airfix Typhoon Starter Kit on a whim as I was walking past the local model shop, (Wonderland Models in Edinburgh) and really enjoyed the process.  next kit was the Italeri F4U-4B, which nearly switch me off modelling for life.  Since then invested in some Vallejo Model Colour paints  and a basic set of tools and built a couple more Airfix, but I have really enjoyed Eduard kits so I have a mini stash of about 5 Eduard and 2 Tamiya kits, all WWII single engine fighters in 1/72.

Hi Straightsix,

Welcome to BM.

There are quite a few of us 'returnees' here. I returned to the hobby 2 years ago.... after a 35yr gap. BM will be sure to help you back on your feet. 

BTW, my wife hasn't noticed the 'rock hard puddles' of CA on her prized walnut coffee table yet. I've had my workspace 'duvet cover' placed over it and a 'do not touch' pile of diorama parts carefully spread over it. I started the diorama last November. I am still looking for a French Polisher.

Rearguards,

Badder

You cut part from sprue

Dry fit

No

Turn it round

No

Upside down

No

ok

Try  another way

No

Look at instructions

No it won,t fit

Frown Suck thru Teeth

Then you realize its the wrong part

Look out window

Thinking

Why do i do this flaming hobby

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

You cut part from sprue

Dry fit

No

Turn it round

No

Upside down

No

ok

Try  another way

No

Look at instructions

No it won,t fit

Frown Suck thru Teeth

Then you realize its the wrong part

Look out window

Thinking

Why do i do this flaming hobby

Panzer Vor, I do believe that you have nailed it! Straight Six, welcome to Britmodeller, you will find(if not already) that these are the most generous guys in terms of knowledge and pointers around. This site is a goldmine; don't hesitate to ask if you have problem; or, if you have something to add to a discussion thread. There are some great experts here(such as Nick Millman, and Dana Bell) who can almost always shed light on a subject. Oh, and, if they don't know the answer directly; they, as often as not, can point you in the direction to where it can be found.

Joe

Edited by JPuente54
add name