Mercedes sskl

Hewy

I'll mark my corner with this little kit in 1/32 scale, i'll add a few bits of my own  and discard a few, i'll post some pictures soon, hope to build it part stripped down, in a rough barn/worshop setting kind of been under a tarp for a few years, in fact that may be my fall back if it gets too much, bit of tissue soaked in pva draped over the top, but the time scale of the gb is quite lengthy so  hopefully i can pull this off, 

Glynn

• Like 3

Multi coloured magic 

2017-10-06_04-46-35

2017-10-06_04-46-53

2017-10-06_04-47-07

2017-10-06_04-47-20

And the extensive decal sheet, and tyres

2017-10-06_04-47-292017-10-06_04-47-40

I'll start tomorrow drilling out those lightening holes in the chassis, there are some very comprehensive diagrams and photos on the net to help, looking at the wire wheels I'm going to at least strip off the chrome, that goes for all chrome plating on the sprue, if any one has a good method that has worked for them please pray tell, I've never stripped the stuff before otherwise  internet research will be needed, cheers for  looking, all comments,  and ideas and pointers are most graciously accepted,

Cheers, Glynn 

• Like 4

For stripping the 'chrome' I favour using a soaking in caustic soda solution. It strips both the 'chrome' and the varnish underneath.

I'm told Dettol does the job too, as does MrMuscle oven cleaner, but I've not tried those

I forgot I have this kit too

Years ago I got some wonderful detail photos when one came to my motor club event. But those are old fashoined negatives which I can't get printed now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

For stripping the 'chrome' I favour using a soaking in caustic soda solution. It strips both the 'chrome' and the varnish underneath.

I'm told Dettol does the job too, as does MrMuscle oven cleaner, but I've not tried those

I forgot I have this kit too

Years ago I got some wonderful detail photos when one came to my motor club event. But those,  are old fashoined negatives which I can't get printed now

Thanks very much, i shall try the caustic soda treatment first, there are some fantastic pics and technical drawings on the net just with a google search, i supppose with the car   having such a history its not surprising 

I think I built this back in the day.  It was quite an impressive beast even at 1/32.  I built a few of those Matchbox cars, they were brilliant, so much better, easier and more exciting than Airfix.  The JagSS100 was the first I did, also the 917 and the Surtees F1 car, though I remember that was a bit fragile and complex compared to the others!

Cheers

Will 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good luck, will be watching this especially the chrome removal. I thought soaking them in a bowl of bleach overnight also worked,but haven’t tried it yet. 

Just found out i haven't got caustic soda, so  I'll be making up a bleach bath this afternoon, cheers for the tip

Glynn

13 minutes ago, malpaso said:

I think I built this back in the day.  It was quite an impressive beast even at 1/32.  I built a few of those Matchbox cars, they were brilliant, so much better, easier and more exciting than Airfix.  The JagSS100 was the first I did, also the 917 and the Surtees F1 car, though I remember that was a bit fragile and complex compared to the others!

Cheers

Will 

When i started modeling  in the 70s my local shop used to stock all the 1/72 frog range, but the local post office stocked some matchbox kits, they were atouch outside mg pocket money range so i usually stuck to the frog kits, until i got a paper  round,  then i moved up to some  matchbox kits, and some of the car kits

Glynn

Cheap and nasty oven cleaner, main ingredient =caustic soda, it took but a few minutes to remove the chrome plating, and has left the plastic in perfect condition,

Before

2017-10-07_06-55-43

And 5 mins later

2017-10-07_06-55-27

Also started work on the chassis lightening holes by drilling them out, here one side done 

2017-10-07_06-54-46

also the sump for the engine with,  most curiously,  body work molded around it, this will have to be removed, and I'm making my own instrument panel

2017-10-07_06-55-02

Thanks 

Glynn 

• Like 7

Thats a great start, the drilled out holes are a major improvement.

The hint with the oven cleaner vs. chrome parts will be for coming projects very handy.

• Like 2

Great start Glynn. Thanxs for the method of removing the chrome. I new the one of using toilet bleech, but that was more for new chrome.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Guess who's been to costa coffee, borrowing an idea from little andi and his superb 1/12 fiat 806, during his build it was on Tressles, so I've made some from coffee stirrers,  i know mine look more like  left over furniture from octoberfest, and less like Tressles but hey, i like em, and they could double up as picnic tables in a future diorama

2017-10-08_09-29-34

And with the chassis rails for scale

2017-10-08_09-29-58

2017-10-08_09-45-46

Cheers as always,  comments good and bad taken on the chin

Glynn 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work. Will be off for some oven cleaner after seeing your results. Love the lil benches too. 

Thanks, pound shop for the oven cleaner, check under the sink first might already have some, check its active ingredient is caustic soda, some oven cleaners are more environmentally friendly, this  one definitely isn't :think:

Glynn 

Done a little bit in between builds i have on at the moment, first I've put some bezels around the instrument dials on th dash panel, i did this with the copper wire that surround some  bottles of wine,  winding it around the same drill bit that did the holes,    and started work on a full length  bulkhead,  the matchbox offering is short,  the new one will definitely open up a tin of worms when i fit the engine, that will take a little longer as I'm scratch building front and mid cross  members for between the chassis rails at the moment, also replacing some of the plastic bar at the front with brass rod that is thinner and doesn't have molding lines, on the part I've done here i cut the molding from the centre and drilled it out to slide on the brass rod, i'll  centre and  glue it when In situ, hope you like it so far

Glynn

2017-10-10_06-26-41

The kit part

2017-10-10_06-27-09

And my mash up

2017-10-10_06-26-59

The bulk head is a twin wall affair that looks to have ribs, or fins, running between the panels, here are ths two halfs before glueing together with the kit part, they'll  be trimmed to length when the chassis is together 

2017-10-10_06-26-20

Edited by Hewy
Spelling,
  • Like 3

Another quick one before bed 

The bulkhead, and the effect i was after

2017-10-10_08-30-46

And the mid crossmember that I've done, kit  part on the left, lightening holes drilled

2017-10-10_08-27-572017-10-10_08-27-42

2017-10-10_08-27-07

Thanks 

Glynn 

• Like 5