This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Moggy

P2V-7 Neptune Argentine Naval Aviation

Lovely work on those wheel wells, proper modeling!

Carry on!

ian

Don't know how I missed this before now Eduardo, (I was talking to Jan just before Christmas and he pointed me over here, telling me what you were up to). Great work on correcting this kit, you seem to have cornered the beast....some lovely scratch-building going on, just my cup of tea.

Look forward to further updates, I know you'll do it justice. 

On 2018-01-08 at 12:49, general melchett said:

Don't know how I missed this before now Eduardo, (I was talking to Jan just before Christmas and he pointed me over here, telling me what you were up to). Great work on correcting this kit, you seem to have cornered the beast....some lovely scratch-building going on, just my cup of tea.

Look forward to further updates, I know you'll do it justice. 

Coming from you it means a lot!

New update coming shortly...

Cheers, Moggy

Hi Moggy! How is this project going? You’ve gone quiet! 

Hoping for great things :)

Martin

Hello Moggy,

Always interested in looking over the work of a fellow Neptune modeler! Looking really good so far.

Glad to see you've taken on the task of doing up the proper wheel wells for this beast -- a task I lack courage for, after all the mods my P2V-3 Neptune build required...

Continued success on yours,

Ed

Posted (edited)

I have some material to be put together in a cogent post :) chaps!

I'm still plugging away - only slower than usual... A F-86D has gotten in the way so I'm building both in tandem which gives me more time to meditate the final position of the main landing gear. There's something wrong with the lenght of either the nose leg or the main legs - in all sideview pics I've seen the aircraft sits nose high. The kit's landing gear makes it stand parallel to the ground.

Thanks for your interest - makes the build more interesting for me too :D

Cheers, Moggy (almost complete main LG wells :P)

Edited by Moggy
typo

Fabulous workmanship - really admire the neatness of the scratch building

CJP

Posted (edited)

Neptune building continues unabated - if silently.

H76JZem.jpg

The legwork is somewhat difficult since the original parts can't be used (wrong position) and the kit as out of the box makes it sit parallel to the ground instead of nose high! :P

qIKI8Vk.jpg

My tridimensional puzzle: drawing shows where the new position of the landing gear leg (left of center) & new axle forward. The "wishbone" has been modified to fit new position and still has to get a new connection to the forward axle's right end. The total lenght of the wishbone is predicated on the main leg's position and the fact that it fastens to the side of the leg not the front (again plenty of opportunities to get it wrong :D)

jz4p8s8.jpg

Modified and partially detailed main LG leg

TSG1nyK.jpg

Wheel well detail so far! More bits of plasticard & sprue to mimic SOME of the contraptions in the original wheel well :):D

zbhxm2N.jpg

More structure in the LG well: .03 mm strips cut from a plasticard sheet (right size strips unavailable)

XEdUZQI.jpg

Hydraulic fluid tank - from plastic sheet to... someting resembling the original :)

ANfzA0p.jpg

Now in position with the help of white glue (far better and a lot less messy than cyano)

yNIezD7.jpg

Anothe contraption for the wheel well; unfortunately it turned out to be oversized so I'm doing a new one :dalek1:

0UZubeD.jpg

A view of how the wheel well elements fit together!

WWoQLD7.jpg

Wheel well doors turned out to need more work than I anticipated. Plastic card and putty & photoetch...

J41lrwK.jpg

After some swearing about the [REDACTED] etched parts flying into the [EXPURGATED} outer space I ended up with two missing hinges. :P

By leaving the center hinges off the center of the outer doors I hope that they won't be missed... too much! The well doors are now packed down in their own plastic box - there to wait until paint and fitting: probably the last part of the model to be put in place. Those hinges are pretty fragile and I still have to create a contact surface the hinges can be glued to.

I will endeavour to write a weekly (at least) report on this project.

Writing this summary of my latest Neptune aventures have made some things become clear to me regarding the construction and placement of the landing leg parts :D

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo

Very nice & neat scratch building going on here - great subject

CJP