P2V-7 Neptune Argentine Naval Aviation

Moggy

• 1 month later...

Don't know how I missed this before now Eduardo, (I was talking to Jan just before Christmas and he pointed me over here, telling me what you were up to). Great work on correcting this kit, you seem to have cornered the beast....some lovely scratch-building going on, just my cup of tea.

Look forward to further updates, I know you'll do it justice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2018-01-08 at 12:49, general melchett said:

Don't know how I missed this before now Eduardo, (I was talking to Jan just before Christmas and he pointed me over here, telling me what you were up to). Great work on correcting this kit, you seem to have cornered the beast....some lovely scratch-building going on, just my cup of tea.

Look forward to further updates, I know you'll do it justice. 

Coming from you it means a lot!

New update coming shortly...

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Moggy,

Always interested in looking over the work of a fellow Neptune modeler! Looking really good so far.

Glad to see you've taken on the task of doing up the proper wheel wells for this beast -- a task I lack courage for, after all the mods my P2V-3 Neptune build required...

Continued success on yours,

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have some material to be put together in a cogent post :) chaps!

I'm still plugging away - only slower than usual... A F-86D has gotten in the way so I'm building both in tandem which gives me more time to meditate the final position of the main landing gear. There's something wrong with the lenght of either the nose leg or the main legs - in all sideview pics I've seen the aircraft sits nose high. The kit's landing gear makes it stand parallel to the ground.

Thanks for your interest - makes the build more interesting for me too :D

Cheers, Moggy (almost complete main LG wells :P)

Edited by Moggy
typo

Neptune building continues unabated - if silently.

H76JZem.jpg

The legwork is somewhat difficult since the original parts can't be used (wrong position) and the kit as out of the box makes it sit parallel to the ground instead of nose high! :P

qIKI8Vk.jpg

My tridimensional puzzle: drawing shows where the new position of the landing gear leg (left of center) & new axle forward. The "wishbone" has been modified to fit new position and still has to get a new connection to the forward axle's right end. The total lenght of the wishbone is predicated on the main leg's position and the fact that it fastens to the side of the leg not the front (again plenty of opportunities to get it wrong :D)

jz4p8s8.jpg

Modified and partially detailed main LG leg

TSG1nyK.jpg

Wheel well detail so far! More bits of plasticard & sprue to mimic SOME of the contraptions in the original wheel well :):D

zbhxm2N.jpg

More structure in the LG well: .03 mm strips cut from a plasticard sheet (right size strips unavailable)

XEdUZQI.jpg

Hydraulic fluid tank - from plastic sheet to... someting resembling the original :)

ANfzA0p.jpg

Now in position with the help of white glue (far better and a lot less messy than cyano)

yNIezD7.jpg

Anothe contraption for the wheel well; unfortunately it turned out to be oversized so I'm doing a new one :dalek1:

0UZubeD.jpg

A view of how the wheel well elements fit together!

WWoQLD7.jpg

Wheel well doors turned out to need more work than I anticipated. Plastic card and putty & photoetch...

J41lrwK.jpg

After some swearing about the [REDACTED] etched parts flying into the [EXPURGATED} outer space I ended up with two missing hinges. :P

By leaving the center hinges off the center of the outer doors I hope that they won't be missed... too much! The well doors are now packed down in their own plastic box - there to wait until paint and fitting: probably the last part of the model to be put in place. Those hinges are pretty fragile and I still have to create a contact surface the hinges can be glued to.

I will endeavour to write a weekly (at least) report on this project.

Writing this summary of my latest Neptune aventures have made some things become clear to me regarding the construction and placement of the landing leg parts :D

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

The Return of the Neptune!

Having got stuck in the main wheel wells department I decided tha the best way forward is to return to the fuselage and complete the cockpit, observer's position and the nose wheel well:

OQLrOzd.jpg

First thing was to put some detail on the tunnel - ribs & stringers that will almost be seen

myBlN5f.jpg

This is how it looks from the observer's position

To continue the work I put together the interior module - plastic card & resin.

dJQQVWV.jpg

The wheel wel detailing so far:

RXgEB6O.jpg

xptgEev.jpg

And the beginning of the nose leg detailing

j9wt0eo.jpg

I'm trying to get this model ready for Art in Miniature contest on the first weekend of September :)

All this happened during the latest weekend modelling meet at a very good friend's house

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

One week has gone... and the nose gear has been completed.

It doesn't sound like much but it is!

Here we go: The original nose leg was completely wrong. With the help of Janne we finally came to the conclusion that the noseleg was about 5 mm. too short!

So I've finally solved the problem of the Neptune kit's wrong "sit" as compared to real P2V pictures.

So next:

Nose leg redone with with 5 X 2.5 mm.rod drilled through & piano wire added to make the lengthened leg as strong as possible. All former detail had to go.

QsR0WbM.jpg

Here's the new leg redetailed...

0ckSYWE.jpg

and in its final form, detailing finished:

2C56tu7.jpg

The nose leg sitting in place w/o glue courtesy of the piano wire core :)

cjEgoCM.jpg

33Z2CGj.jpg

Nose landing gear completion: a simple drawing showing the position & dimensions- the apex being non-centered reflecting the wheel well off-centerline position with the nosewheel ON centerline.

Much more difficult to write than the actual working. Material is Contrail styrene tube.

By using tube instead of rod I was able to run rod through it and the well's walls as well making it mobile and very strong at the same time. The mobile part is important: it will allow me to detail & paint it separately from the wheel well - then fixing it in place by the axle running through the tube. This leaves the structure mobile so I can glue the nose leg after completing construction & painting ;)

5T4gaA4.jpg

View of LG support in wheel well

2qHP5As.jpg

Side wiew of nose LG - support structure "hanging". Blue-Tack blob holding LG axle in place.

4ssY8gc.jpg

Wheel well view of complete nose LG in place still not glued:

JKZipVi.jpg

The completion of scratching a new nose LG has solved two problems holding up progress: the "sit" problem & the scratching of a removable LG allowing for construction & painting BEFORE finally mounting the LG legs. It solves the selfsame problem with the main LG legs - so now I will paint the nose wheel well & LG and then complete the wings' wheel wells & LG.

Now the way is open to complete the observer's compartment & the cockpit too. Once that's completed the Falcon transparencies go on & the fuselage work is complete.

I have slightly over four weeks before the Art in Miniature contest & exhibition here in Gothenburg - I am going to do my best to get it finished by then...

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 5

Great progress Eduardo, glad you got the nose gear sorted out, the sit was always an issue with the kit, some lovely scratch work going on with those bays. When I chatted to Jan the other day he mentioned the good progress you'd made. Wish I could get over to the show this year but we're just too busy over the next couple of months, really enjoyed it last time, maybe next year... 

• Like 1

Latest work:

The cowlings scribed along the openings - the Neptune cowlings open up like a flower making manteinance work much easier

XPlJOBg.jpg

The starboard nose LG door has to be widened to match new opening. I simply used the fuselage section I cut out, It has the right form & length:

ZTfnOTF.jpg

Next - the retraction mechanism of the main landing gear. Like the nose one it is made of Contrail tube - only thinner.

H2Y9oDi.jpg

vm5yfZ2.jpg

As it looks now it seems that it cannot be mobile - since I'm not sure it will actually have the strenght to keep the LG leg in place... :whistle:

Finally for tonight: Oil radiators in place - with a bit of sawing off to male place for the etched cooling flap. Some plastic card helped me get the radiators in the right position as shown by pictures of the 1:1 Neptune :)

xOAcM5i.jpg

In case you wonder: I use Dymo tape to ensure that the cuts are in the area they're supposed to be. It is very useful for engraving panels too!

pUOKAPK.jpg

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
typo
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi Eduardo! @Moggy

So how is this project coming along? I have no ambition to replicate your wonderful work but i am pulling together resources ready? It would be great to see how you are getting on with her :).

Martin

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Eduardo! @Moggy

So how is this project coming along? I have no ambition to replicate your wonderful work but i am pulling together resources ready? It would be great to see how you are getting on with her :).

Martin

Thanks for the "like" Eduardo but how is she? Did your build stall?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Moggy, I've been following your great work in this thread and using yourimprovements as a template for my own Neptune kit, and i have to say, you're a wizard with styrene. 😁