Morning All,

I've finally finished my P-51B in 1/72 scale. It's a Hasegawa fuselage mated to a KP wing, in an effort to circumvent the problems that many P-51B kits suffer from in this scale. Brings my output for this year to two!

I had fun making this. The first two attempts were aimed at correcting the KP fuselage but in the end I opted for the kitbash approach and I'm not unhappy with the result. I might even make another, now I know what to do. For anyone who's interested, there's a WIP thread here:

The sliding part of the canopy is from Squadron.  Paints are Tamiya Olive Drab and Neutral Grey, Lifecolour white for the racing stripes, and Humbrol enamel 153 for the red. The final varnish is Alclad Klear Matt, and one week after application it's still slightly tacky. Decals are Superscale, with the code letters coming from the LPS set for Hively's P51D - I thought they looked marginally better than the Superscale ones. I used the KP horizontal stabilisers as l liked the fabric effect of the elevators much more than the Hasegawa ones. I also used the KP cockpit parts in the Hasegawa fuselage and they fitted well. One other minor change was the repositioning of the outboard guns slightly further inboard. And I extended the length of the fuselage by about 1.5mm at the base of the fin. The WIP has details.

I chose to model Hively's The Deacon as I was brought up not far from Debden where the 4th FG was based during the Second World War. I wanted a 4th FG machine in Drab/Grey with a Malcolm hood that I could display open, and I was intrigued as to why Hively and his aircraft were dubbed 'The Deacon' (still don't know the answer). Hively had flown with 71 (Eagle Squadron) RAF from Debden even before the 4th was constituted,  and after 71 Sqn became 334th FS he remained with the Eagles throughout the war. Once the invasion stripes were added on 43-6898, Hively flew The Deacon 3 times on D-Day but for the fourth trip his aircraft was taken over by Mike Sobanski, a Pole who had taken US citizenship and joined the 4th FG.  Sadly Sobanski was shot down and killed with the rest of his flight that evening, when they were bounced by a group of Fw190s.

Hope you like the model; here are some initial photos.

Justin

resized_4951b368-1388-4d98-83f3-330449d1

resized_1a41fac0-b1ea-495c-9412-358bbf1b

resized_9cdefee2-e420-4bb6-b187-5c8fb97c

resized_cd81ba74-8a7c-419a-9691-6e39ad27

resized_6a27d928-1a62-47e4-ada7-7bbbd542

resized_40b49907-7480-4c4d-b341-deb43b83

f98ebe3e-4770-47b2-a482-8e73dc241ea8.jpg

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 25

• 3 weeks later...