My second, or first, build will be a Percival Provost T. Mk.1

[box and frame photos to follow asap]

Photos;

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2001s-M.jpg

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2002s-M.jpg

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2003s-M.jpg

I'll be doing the RAF version, the top option

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2004s-M.jpg

The decals are rough and have foxing. The roundels will need replacing as they are printed out of register. I hope I can use the badges. I have spare day-glo decal incase its needed

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Started on this.

Wing halves joined, main engine cowling part built, cockpit interior part built. Many parts with matt black undercoat

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2005s-M.jpg

There aren't very many parts to this; should get to fully built pretty quickly

• Like 7

I got some modelling time through the night and this morning

The cockpit parts had been assembled and matt black undercoated. Cockpit black, seat upholstery in leather, control columns and seat belts attachment bar added

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2006s-S.jpg

Fuselage closed up, engine pod just about done. A hole has been drilled to take a brass tube exhaust rather than the kit's plastic spud. The fillers on the engine cowling are now rubbed down

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2007s-M.jpg

Once  the fuselage joint is smoothed down the wings etcetera can be added

• Like 4

Filling and sanding and fettling and drilling and cutting....

I added the grab handles on each side of the fuselage, I cut away part of the tops of the u/c legs for to make the landing lights there and cut away the wing tips for the navigation lights. I used plastic tubing for the exhaust

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2008s-M.jpg

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2009s-M.jpg

A few more details in the cockpit, canopy on and masked then its ready for a spraying of white undercoat

• Like 6

Not much more to show.

I/p in, a bit of hss for the roll-bar rear support and masking tape seat belts

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2010s-S.jpg

Canopy is on.  I'm masking it using some new Vallejo liquid mask that has been recommended to me by a good friend

I put on the rear wheel unit piece. Oddly there is a cut out in the rear fuselage at the place for it but nothing to support the wheel piece. I had to glue in a thick bit of plastic card and shape it, then attached the wheel unit to that

• Like 5

Great job on the Intrument Panel there, that's looks very effective and will help the interior appearance no end.

I also have this kit and recall that the Canopy is rather thick up front. Whenever I make a start I'll be dipping the canopy in some of the new AK Interactive Gausy Clear stuff so that it will hopefully look a little thinner. No guarentees it will, however the review videos look promising. 

Cheers and am liking what I'm seeing here... Dave  

I give all my canopies two dips in Klear/Future/Pledge/Astonish. It does make a difference.

In my Tempests build I show two vac canopies. They each had a mark on them which I had to micromesh off. That itself left a small mark but those disappeared after a dipping in KFPA

The bits I've added into the cockpit can be seen through the canopy

• Like 1

I got the canopy on, all masked up and sprayed with white primer;

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2011s-M.jpg

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2012s-M.jpg

Then I got the silver sprayed on. Taking the masking off revealed a problem. The Vallejo masking had reacted maybe with the Future or something and it sort of etched into the canopy. Its left it with some fogged/misty areas. You can just make it out on the top panels

I pulled the canopy off and that ruined my paint job around it but I'll have to either try polishing the canopy or making a vac formed one

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2013s-M.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I've not forgotten about this. In fact its been right at the top of my modelling trolley along with a P51 and Jaguar SS100

Tonight I've been getting sorted to make a vac canopy. It'll be moulded over the original so the vac copy be marginally larger than it. I hope I can make it fit. I do hate having to make vac canopies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maskol and Mr Masking sol/neo are the way forward: I left on some Maskol on a Futured canopy for just over 18 months and here's what it looked like last week when I pulled it off. A great recovery and out of interest did you use one of these to make the canopy? I've got one swimming its way from China ..

Looking forward to seeing in the gallery!

A

As of this morning; anti-glare on nose painted, day-glo orange on wing leading edges ectetera.

Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2015s-M.jpg

Main decals on tonight I think. All from my files as the kit ones aren't good enough

PS; yes I have one of those vac formers. Had it for years. Useful for making canopies when you can't buy a commercial made one

• Like 4

Percival Provost T. Mk.1, RAF FTS

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2001s-M

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2002s-M

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2003s-M

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2004s-M

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2005s-M

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2006s-M

Percival%20Provost%20T.%20Mk1%2C%2007s-M

XF836  has been in a number of paint schemes during its life and it still flies [currently under rebuilding] in civilian ownership as G-AWRY

• Like 7