Protar 1/9th scale Montesa Cota 247 trials bike

protarmontesacota2017-10-01_29web.jpg?w= Click for full article

The Protar (Italy) 1/9th scale Montesa Cota 247 trials bike is no ordinary plastic kit. Despite its age, it ranks as an engineering masterpiece. For example, the steering head and wheel axles, although made of plastic (some later motorcycle kits have such items in metal) they screw into place. The plastic is strong enough to take the torque that I sometimes found necessary to apply with pliers to finish the screwing in. The flexible plastic chain works (after a fashion). That is, when the rear wheel turns, the chain rotates and turns a sprocket hidden under the engine cover. Even the suspension works!

Full article on my web site: Viva Protar

• Like 2

Hi, I've read your link. Superb build and quality of kit, well done. My eldest son had the Bultaco Sherpa when he was fourteen and competed in his club events, most Thursdays after school! 

Edited by PatW
  • Like 1

Hi Pat, you might be interested in my off-road bikes page, which has some Bultaco Sherpa photos:

https://everardcunion.wordpress.com/off-road-bikes/#top

I will add that as a link at the bottom of my Protar Montesa page when I get a moment.

I am hoping for some sunshine at the weekend to get some 'action' photos with this bike. It is such a contrast to the Triumph 3HW of 30 years before...

protarmontesacota2017-10-01_43web.jpg

• 5 months later...