Buccaneer

hi all,

Here's a warning for you. If a work colleague says i've got a present for you and it's a model, turn it down.

By not doing that, i ended up with a Frog 1/72 Buccaneer S2 that had been in his loft for decades, had curly brown decals and was missing a main undercarriage door. All of that was eclipsed by poor, clumpy mouldings and a cloudy canopy (which actually cleaned up well with Klear).

Fast forward to a conversation with another work-mate, who is a modeller too, regarding the Japanese air force (my favourite subject) and their use of American aircraft since the year dot. If the Japanese had liked the Vampire they bought instead of the T-33, that would have led to Hunters, Lightnings, Buccaneers, Hawks, Tornados and Typhoons. I mentioned the Bucc and he suggested a blue one ala the Mitsubishi F-2 would look good.

The challenge was down and i did have a kit and the correct Mr Hobby paints to try out too. The result is below.

This is by far the worst kit i have ever made. There is almost as much filler as plastic but at least the tailplane and canopy fitted well. Even the Fujimi decals from the spares box refused release from their backing paper it was that bad!! Overall, it's come out quite well but just nowhere near my normal standard, c'est la vie.

However, it does look right doesn't it?

Andy

Buccaneer_1.jpg

Buccaneer_2.jpg

Buccaneer_3.jpg

Buccaneer_4.jpg

Buccaneer_5.jpg

Buccaneer_6.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Joachim. The blue paint does make it look good and for anyone interested, it's also very accurate for a JASDF F-2 or F-4. In service, the lighter blue gets reasonably grubby, so takes on a slighter darker hue

Andy

12 hours ago, cngaero said:

I really like that. It looks smart in that scheme.

Thanks Very much Chris

10 hours ago, John_W said:

Nice Whif.

Of course, going a step further, the JSDF might have flown the TSR2...

As I said, more of an "if only"..................

Well, whatever issues there were with the kit it looks pretty fab to me.  It certainly has the Buccaneer shape.   An interesting and attractive scheme.  I often wonder why the Buccaneer didn't have more customers.  Such a great aircraft.  I believe the German navy was very interested in the type but politics prevailed and they ended up with the F-104.

thanks for the nice comments everyone. A German Navy example would be pretty interesting but not for me. It's back to normal modelling again now

Andy

I believe an unbuilt, boxed one of these was recently valued on the Antiques Roadshow at £1200...

Relax - I just made that up! :whistle:

It's a Bucc - Ipso Facto its beautiful

Really looking forward to the Tanmodel New-Tool :Tasty:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Nice effort! I think you've turned out a nice whif thanks to all that perseverance...

Thanks Vulcanicity. 200 grit sandpaper works wonders!

2 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I believe an unbuilt, boxed one of these was recently valued on the Antiques Roadshow at £1200...

Relax - I just made that up! :whistle:

It's a Bucc - Ipso Facto its beautiful

Really looking forward to the Tanmodel New-Tool :Tasty:

I hope you enjoy the new tool. It's certainly an interesting and very capable plane

Andy