PK-23 Hawker Tempest II - now x 2 @@Finished@@

Black Knight

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

One of these two will be built 'clean' t'other will get one of these two sets of rockets - probably the non-rail ones

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2007s-M.jpg

I wonder if you could use both. I've seen a photo of a Typhoon being loaded up with a mix of AP and HE rockets.

Ah, beg your pardon, it's the rails not the rockets that you're expecting to decide on

Edited by JosephLalor

Aye, both types of rockets were used on Tempest II. It'll depend on what was or may have been on my subject

Many builds begin at the cockpit. I don't, I start with the sticky out bits.

Undercoated in matt black enamel first then they get their main colour as the build progresses

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2009s-M.jpg

Filler along the nose piece join, just to make sure

Wheels and prop spinner parts undercoated; I use orange as undercoat for red [and yellow]

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2010s-M.jpg

Wings; the small intakes opened up as well as the gun muzzle ports. The divots for the rocket mountings filled* as well as the location hole for the L pitot, a hole in the leading edge of the port wing has been made for the pitot. Matt black undercoat for the aluminium in the wheel wells. I might put a length of micro-sized tubing in the muzzle ports for the gun barrels.

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2011s-M.jpg

* the front row of divots on one pair of wings not filled, to be drilled out for my rocket mountings; the rocket mounts don't align with the rear holes so they've been filled

Now, whilst those bits dry I've started on the cockpit. Nowt to show yet

• Like 2

Good morning Black Knight

It seems that the Tempest is very popular in this Gb ,yesterday I received one I bought on Ebay from Canada if I have enough time I will build it for this Gb or for the Hawker Gb next year ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Black Knight

It seems that the Tempest is very popular in this Gb ,yesterday I received one I bought on Ebay from Canada if I have enough time I will build it for this Gb or for the Hawker Gb next year ...

Best regards

Patrice

Its Tempest Fever, I got another to cross kit with an Academy Tempest though I should start the one in this GB first...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got some modelling time through the night and this morning

Instrument panels made. A couple of bits of sprue glued to the fuselage acts as support for the panel

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2012s-M.jpg

My seat units; the seat base is narrowed and plastic card sides added, a bit of plastic card added for a seat back cushion, control column from wire

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2013s-M.jpg

Added into the fuselage with a paper i/p for the instruments

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2014s-M.jpg

Once thats done, fuselages closed up and wings on

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2015s-M.jpg

I'll let those set for a while then continue later

• Like 4

These are ready for the main painting to start.

One has its main undercart on

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2016s-M.jpg

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2017s-M.jpg

On all these I've built there is a big trench where the wings meet underneath. In the past I filled and sanded and filled.... that gap; this time I glued in a piece of hss and sanded it - far quicker so it was

For these I got a couple of vac canopies, and for this one I got treaded resin wheels, [the kit canopy is at the top, looks smaller than the vac ones]

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2018s-M.jpg

The other one doesn't get its undercart on yet as there is some awkward decal work to be done first;

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2019s-M.jpg

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2020s-M.jpg

• Like 7

On 12/4/2017 at 22:18, Black Knight said:

Undercoated in matt black enamel first then they get their main colour as the build progresses

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2009s-M.jpg

Wings; the small intakes opened up as well as the gun muzzle ports. The divots for the rocket mountings filled* as well as the location hole for the L pitot, a hole in the leading edge of the port wing has been made for the pitot. Matt black undercoat for the aluminium in the wheel wells. I might put a length of micro-sized tubing in the muzzle ports for the gun barrels.

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2011s-M.jpg

;)

• Like 2

Painting today

MSG under one

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2023s-M.jpg

Used the MSG as an undercoat/primer for the top side

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2024s-M.jpg

PRU blue under number 2

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2021s-M.jpg

Whilst the MSG was out it got it on the top side as well

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2022s-M.jpg

Once the MSG was dry the lower line was masked and the top side got a first coat of its regular grey.

Ocean grey for number 1

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2026s-M.jpg

and Dark Sea Grey for number 2

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2025s-M.jpg

Number 2 gets the rockets. The ones with long launch rails. They're ready to put on as are the wheels and the props for both.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2017 at 8:43 AM, Black Knight said:

For these I got a couple of vac canopies, and for this one I got treaded resin wheels, [the kit canopy is at the top, looks smaller than the vac ones]

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2018s-M.jpg

Hi BK, Can I ask where these vac conapies came from? I could only track down the Rob Taurus Academy one that looks a bit too narrow

Cheers

Anil

I got these glossed up on Christmas eve and got the decals onto No.2.

Yesterday I got some paint touch-ins done and today I got No.2 matt varnished

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2030s-M.jpg

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2031s-M.jpg

Only the rockets and prop to add to this

No.1 got decaled up this evening;

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2032s-M.jpg

The underwing codes go over the u/c doors so I used blutac to hold the doors on, applied the decals and used a razor blade to cut them. Then the parts of the code for the u/c cover with the oleo were transferred over

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2033s-M.jpg

Once these are varnished and thats dry this one will be close to the finish too.

I might just get both of these finished tonight

Right chaps. A note to anyone else building this kit. Under each wing is a bump; on the PRU blue No.2 its near the top/bottom of the first 7, on No.1 its before the P. Those bumps are actually lights. I'm going to drill them, countersink the hole and make them lights

• Like 6

Well modelled Black Knight, that Firedog scheme looks great. Yet again you’ve provided further inspiration and now I know what colours to build my 2nd Tempest (not in this GB of course!).

Cheers.. Dave