The kit makes a Mk.VI of the RAF or a Mk.II of the Indian Air force

I'll be doing an RAF Mk.II

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2003s-M.jpg

Loverly; mustard and green plastic

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2004s-M.jpg

The decals are rough

• Like 12

I've done two Mk.VI.

The main thing to be aware of is Matchbox supply an underwing L pitot when its actually a wing leading edge one.

Matchbox%20Tempest%20VI%2C%206%20squadro

Used the kit decals on this one

Xtradecal 'History of 6 Squadron' decals on this one

Matchbox%20Tempest%20VI%2C%206%20squadro

I also replaced the cheese wedge kit exhausts with better resin ones on both

• Like 13

Ooooh, I think you just gave me an idea, Matchbox, Tempest VI & 6 sqn, ticks all the boxes & I haven't even signed up for this one, maybe what I need to get a GB mojo going again. I'll think about it over the weekend. Nightshifts. :(

Steve.

• Like 1

I built Eric's same Mk.II using decals from the stash and have to say that IMHO this kit was one of Matchbox's very best. It's a kit I'd still be happy to build today and Iactually  have another one in the stash to be built as a Mk.VI in the Palestine desert scheme. Even straight from the box it can result in a good model, with some additions can be turned into a small masterpiece

• Like 1

@Black Knight

Now this has made to want to track one down and build it as an Indian AF version, being somewhat Indian myself. Its off to the wanted section! If I track one down I may be bothering for your unused decals if the lord Krishna has been unkind to the decals of my impending purchase...

Anil

• Like 2

On 07/10/2017 at 15:58, azureglo said:

Now this has made to want to track one down and build it as an Indian AF version, being somewhat Indian myself. Its off to the wanted section! If I track one down I may be bothering for your unused decals if the lord Krishna has been unkind to the decals of my impending purchase...

You are most welcome to the A. Chakras. I have three sets now

The first set of decals were fine except the glue had to be washed off as it had deteriorated and went creamy.

But, and I just checked; I was told the A. Chakras are the wrong colour, they should be navy blue and the fin flashes should be saffron [yellowy orange]/white/green

Kingkit has some Matchbox Tempest VI/II for £14.99, or Special Hobby ones for £14.50 [both + P/p]

I've held this Tempest kit in my hands twice over.

The first one I cut up and cross-kitted it with the Heller Mk.V to make (what I thought to be) a better Mk.II. Result = Fail

The second kit I bought for an absolute steal, however sold it off when I was in a "greedy sale" state of mind.

I now cannot stop looking at Black Knight's gorgeous 6 Squadron Mk.VI above and think I want to hunt down a third example!!

I haven't quite signed up to this GB yet, however am taking a keen interest in everyone's great Matchbox modelling projects.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've held this Tempest kit in my hands twice over.

The first one I cut up and cross-kitted it with the Heller Mk.V to make (what I thought to be) a better Mk.II. Result = Fail

The second kit I bought for an absolute steal, however sold it off when I was in a "greedy sale" state of mind.

My kit came from Kit Rescue and was quite a story.

The box had two of - well looked like two kits crammed into one box.

Then I realized, no canopy.    If it looks toooo good, it usually bites back later.

Acquired some Squadron vac-form canopies.

Several years later I started building, one of these to be a Tempest II - so I removed the wing rads,

the other was a radial.

Then I realized no tailplanes in my boxes of parts.   Put away for a few more years.

I acquired a box of Airfix Typhoon parts from Jet Age in 2015 - this gave me all the undercarriage, rockets, and another canopy - the one on my build.

I also obtained a scrap model, from which I took the tailplanes.

At this point I realized there are better and easier routes to a Tempest II, and burned that modified kit. 

I hadn't realized it's actually a Mk6 and supposed to have wing radiators!

Completed my Tempest radial last year,   -   this encouraged me to build a Sea Fury to complete that Hawker piston-fighter family.  

• Like 2

I  haven't had a chance to start this yet

On 09/10/2017 at 16:51, charlie_c67 said:

Out of interest @Black Knight, what are you doing with the sabre nose? Could you be persuaded to perhaps part with it? 

You on the scrounge?

It'll be going into my spares box where it will be forgotten about

I suppose I could let someone have it

The second kit arrived just before the weekend

The previous owner had cut everything from the frames but it was all present

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2005s-M.jpg

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2006s-M.jpg

One of these two will be built 'clean' t'other will get one of these two sets of rockets - probably the non-rail ones

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2007s-M.jpg

I bought these decals for this GB; they cover numerous Mk.II and a few Mk.V - I expected it to be t'other way round

Hawker%20Tempest%20II%2C%2008s-M.jpg

Its time I started building. Mostly OOB but I'll give the cockpit a wee bit of fitting out, cos I'm silly like that

• Like 3