FBA H flying boat 1/72

As Ian said: looks very good and the floats turned out excellent!

Thanks for your considerations on painting the struts. I tend to avoid brush painting as much as possible, as my abilities for that sort of work are limited. Sometimes this leads me to excessively complicated masking jobs in order to airbrush.

Cheers

Jaime

Calling it done for now. The gun ring is a plastic ring cut from a glue tube top. The rest of the framework was made from a Bristol Fighter remnant and plastic rod with a Lewis gun, all bits and pieces from the spares box. According to Windsock it represents a TO 1bis turret ring. The rudder proved to be the most difficult part of the build. It sits on top of a single upright of rod, held together with CA gel. I knocked it off three times and tried to use stretched sprue and then fine copper wire as rigging wires. I had to admit failure as I could not get either material straight enough to use. My hat's off to those that use these materials but I must be cack handed, particularly when it comes to copper wire. I had also come to the conclusion that the rigging had to be functional and help to support the rudder. To this end I used my finest drill, about 0.3mm, and drilled holes into the elevator. Invisible thread was fed through one of the forward holes and through the diagonally opposite rear hole. A knot was tied into the thread and pulled into the hole where it was secured with CA. A post of rod had been fixed to the top of the rudder and the thread was tied off around this post, dabbed with CA, and then fed through the opposite hole and then secured with CA. With both wires in place they are pulling against each other, a bit like tent pegs. The only other addition was some racks of small bombs alongside the cockpits. Final photos will be in the Gallery.

413625423.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 2

Built in several versions which flew throughut the war. The H flew predominately with the French and Italian Naval Aviation. This build represents a French machine based at Dunkirk, circa 1916-17. 

413625428.jpg

413625427.jpg

This was posted in error and I can't delete it totally for some reason. Can a mod get rid of it please. Photos are in the gallery.

413625426.jpg

413625425.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 5