1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25RB/RBT & RBF "Foxbat-B & -D" by ICM - released

Homebee

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 5:25 AM, Homebee said:

The box states this is the copy of the proto. Proto of the RBT right? I wonder what differencescan be between that one and the serie made ones. 🤔🤔

Stupid question is on the way:

Since either here on BM or ARC it was said that Mig-25UP and Mig-25RU are different,  does this means that maybe wings, engine nozzles are good to get used for a not so straight Mig-25RU bash-up conversion with Condor Mig-25U?

Luigi

19 hours ago, Silverkite said:

Since either here on BM or ARC it was said that Mig-25UP and Mig-25RU are different,  does this means that maybe wings, engine nozzles are good to get used for a not so straight Mig-25RU bash-up conversion with Condor Mig-25U?

Just leave the pylons off the Condor kit and you'll have a 'RU. Airframewise these were based on the MiG-25P interceptor version, but with the navigation systems of the recce family.

Confused yet?  🙂

Edit: Incidentally,  my LHS had the kit in last tuesday and it looks gorgeous in the box. 

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 2:13 PM, Silverkite said:

Is the BM version obtainable from this newer kit?

Not out of the box.

The basic nose shape is mostly similar, but you'd have to add a nose plug (200 mm on the real thing), sand off the fairings for the camera windows and putty the camera ports, scribe new panels on the nose, add the ECM nose blisters, wing pylons (different from those on the interceptor cersions, the outer ones have antennae in their leading edges!), plus the Kh-58 missiles and their launch rails. 

Perhaps  ICM deems us 1/72nd folks worthy of a followup MiG-25RBF, like in their 1/48th range. This would be closer to a BM nosewise. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the weekend we had near me a small local model show and I did get this new ICM MiG-25 RBT kit (kit № 72 172). It is all in 72nd scale and the kits basically represents a down scale of the ICM MiG-25RB RBT kit in 48th. Some things were simplified of course due to the scale, break down was changed and parts number is smaller.

Based on criticism of the 48th kit the company made some changes and in the next release already had a modified nose section and the intake top lip was also changed. A new decal was made. The same corrected sprues were issued under Revell label for a better reach of the Western markets.

In the meantime the CAD plans were down scaled and a most welcome kit was released about a month ago. The bomber / recon version of the Foxbat has not been kitted, never ever before so it was about time to have it. It is a true down-scale kit and it follows the years (ages) ago released ICM MiG-25PD kit (kit № 72 171) in its line of products.

In comparison to a true down scale several new frames were added to the 72nd version to reflect the changes. This includes Frame F which has the intake top lip parts, two versions, the brake parachute housing in both early and late version and the engine exhausts for the “long” version of the R/RB versions. Sprue G has the RBT nose section separately.

It is evident that we will have more Foxbats with time from ICM and there are several common sprues.

YswhMCr.jpg

The kit box has a nice glossy outer cover. It is just basically a soft top under which a hardboard box hides with all the kit parts. Good protection is given to the sprues which are packed in plastic bag with clear parts separately in a small bag.

8qajgii.jpg

I like the decals. They did change the stencils to black versions from the blue on the 48th scale kit. Only the very few first production airframes had the traditional blue stencils of the Gorkiy aircraft factory. All production fighters and recon-bomber versions had black and red stencils. Nicely printed, with some very fine details included on the two small decal sheets.

VIHLSft.jpg

gC2jERE.jpg

A perfectly printed 24 page instruction booklet is included.

y4DeGM0.jpg

Clear parts are perfectly clean and beautiful.

IOF14bX.jpg

Had a close look at the nose section with a quick dry run. It fits perfectly and the recon bay panel is nice too. The camera windows are given as a kind of lens from the transparent sprue. Don’t really like it but it would be no problem to change it.

AN6Zqkx.jpg

The engine exhaust is nice too. Had a dry run here too. The fit is good and it looks detailed enough. Sure we will have some extras coming from aftermarkets.

QvJ9uxf.jpg

Now to some problems that I talked about in the original post. One issue of the original kit was the cross section of the long cover on top. On the original aircraft it has a perfect semi-circular cross section all the way back to the parachute housing. What we get in the new kit is a squashed top surface. This was a problem on the 48th kit and it is sad that the opportunity was missed to correct this.

Why is this interesting??? ICM many years ago did the MiG-21PD kit (Kit № 72 171) and it had a perfect top with a very nice round section. I understand that for both the 48th and 72nd kit ICM wanted to start from scratch but there are details which were designed correctly so many years ago. Why not look at it and use it on the new kit. :shrug:  . :shrug:. :shrug: 

neAoE7j.jpg

Here is the old kit:

RRPlPww.jpg

A82FRoe.jpg

And here is the new kit

MI0cwa2.jpg

zwX7836.jpg

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to bring back the old kit (still have it and will keep it) but lessons from it should have been used on the new kit in design phase.

Yes, it is possible to sand it down to the correct cross section. I did it on the 48th kit but be careful as the inside wall is also square (and not round) shaped and you will get a very thin edge which could result in warping of the top surface or even braking if the sanding is overdone.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, Hook said:

I must say I didn't think to compare the new spine with the earlier ICM MiG-25PD. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Andre

It was purely by accident that I took out the old kit. I did see the problem with the spine on the 48th scale ICM kit and did some work on it. Will show it. Have to take photos. To see that the problem is still with us on the 72nd scale kit was a disappointment! They had the chance.

Actually I took out the old Foxbat kits, will sell them off. Seeing how this one is made, there is simply no need or point in having them any longer. Anyone want few Condor Foxbat kits??? :winkgrin:  :D

The earlier MiG-25PD from ICM is not bad and it will stay as well as an original Hase kit from way back when.  It has purely historic value.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Actually I took out the old Foxbat kits, will sell them off. Seeing how this one is made, there is simply no need or point in having them any longer. Anyone want few Condor Foxbat kits??? :winkgrin:  :D

Before I get rid of my Condor and ICM MiG-25P/PD/PU kits, I want to make sure we get more than the recce versions from the new tool ICM. 

Call me cautious. 😉

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Hi Andre,

Have no idea what they are at ICM  planning to release, but based on the 48th line and the breakdown of parts in 72nd I would be pretty confident that at least one more recon version and the interceptor could follow.

The Condor kits are primitive, back when they were released there was no alternative so I had them. No need for them any longer.

Best regards

Gabor

On 11/13/2018 at 9:20 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Andre,

Have no idea what they are at ICM  planning to release, but based on the 48th line and the breakdown of parts in 72nd I would be pretty confident that at least one more recon version and the interceptor could follow.

The Condor kits are primitive, back when they were released there was no alternative so I had them. No need for them any longer.

My main scale is 1/72nd, so I was only aware of the ICM 1/48th recce versions - I have just review of the 1/48th PD here at Britmodeler.

Here's hoping! 

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Any chance of getting the MiG 25P In 1/72?

Yes please! 

8 hours ago, Homebee said:

Release expected in late December 2018 -  ref. 72173 - MiG-25RB "Foxbat-B" 

Source: http://www.icm.com.ua/news/571-mig-25-rb-soviet-reconnaissance-plane.html

Yes please! 

🙂

Cheers,

Andre