1/24 Airfix Typhoon engine questions.

Motty

G'day All,

A question for those who have built Airfix's masterpiece, the 1/24 Typhoon kit. Do you think it would be possible to fit the cowlings over the complete engine (i.e. fully built engine for display) by thinning out the plastic of the cowlings in the areas where they interfere with the engine?

I really can't decide which way I would like to build the kit. I love the complete shape of the Tiffie and would like to build it all closed up, but I also would love to build and display that wonderful engine detail as well.

I've been toying with the idea of thinning out the cowlings and using small magnets to hold them in place so that I could have my cake and eat it to but, unfortunately, it would mean having to build the kit with the full engine detail (including building the magnets into the structure during the build), before I could get to a stage where I could see if the idea was practical or not.

So, for those of you who have some experience with this beast, what do you think? Could the cowlings be thinned out enough in the areas where the detail gets in the way? (I'm not worried about any sort of realistic detail on the inside of the cowlings. I'd be fine with various divots etc where it was necessary).

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Cheers,

Motty. 

Edited by Motty
corrections

It's possible in the way that if you're determined enough almost anything is possible. I looked at the possibility. The cowling parts are extremely thick and would need to be ground down significantly at least where the interference will happen. To be fair Airfix says only 'some' parts will cause interference. But no indication which parts. Clearly someone at Airfix tried it. 

I think it would be necessary to reduce the cowling parts to near scale thickness with all the attendant fragility. 

I thought about going the suck it an see route and tacking on the offending parts and then fitting the cowlings where I could and then grinding away the relevant sections or even leaving out a few bits. But in the end it fell into the 'not really worth the effort' box. So I'm going to leave off one cowling part on one side. Besides I like to see a complete aircraft. 

So maybe you can be the pioneer? Good luck.

Go for it. If it works let us know. My build is stalled at the moment so if it works for you. I might do the same. Although I feel a bit guilty saying that. Taking advantage of you.

G'day Noel,

Oh, I doubt I'll be starting this beauty any time soon. I was just contemplating my options (again) having had the kit out as part of a display for our local club.

We may both have to wait for another brave soul to step up first.  ;)

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 1