This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Rumblestripe

Star Trek Discovery (Beware, possible spoilers!)

Anyone else given this a look?

If you like Sci Fi give it a go. I won't post anything about the show for fear of spoilers but if you don't know it is set "Ten years before Kirk". Klingon War.

Promising first two episodes I'd say.

I've seen the first two episodes and there is enough there to interest me.

Non spoiler alert! The Klingons look odd :huh:

I stumbled upon 'Beyond Trek' afterwards which is the after show debrief - a bit like Great British Bake Off An Extra Slice. Don't bother!

Trevor

12 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

If this is before Kirk is it after Archer ??

Good as Deep Space Nine ??

D

Yes

Yes

Anyhing's better than DS9

Trevor

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Yes

Yes

Anyhing's better than DS9

Trevor

Ok

ok 

:dalek1:

Why do Star ships have running lights ?? 

Good to hear that this has started; I’d forgotten about it!

Also good to hear that it’s better than DS9. I quite liked DS9 tbh, realise I may be in a bit of a minority in that respect :shrug: ?

My wife, at the age of 47, has finally started watching TOS and likes it a lot :thumbsup:!

I’ll watch this at the weekend. Will help take my mind off impending mushroom clouds and instant sunshine :confused: .

Best regards

TonyT

Voyager is still my benchmark. :evil_laugh:

Trevor 

EDIT

to get back to the OP, I suffer from the usual 'who the heck is that' syndrome when looking at a totally new series. I get the backstories (I think). FX are great as you would expect and make some of the earlier iterations 'clunk' a bit.

I think it's worth sticking with though.....

4 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Voyager is still my benchmark. :evil_laugh:

Trevor 

Yes The only ST series where you wished they would  fly into a black hole :zombie:

7 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Dems fightin' words!

Trevor

Back off little man 

You,d best send out Seven of Nine she had more then ALL the crew combined :yikes: :whistle:

Lol

The only character in Voyager I disliked was Kes. All the others (including Neelix) were just fine.

Trevor

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Lol

The only character in Voyager I disliked was Kes. All the others (including Neelix) were just fine.

Trevor

Kes

Neelix

Janeway

Paris

Tuvok

Kim

Dr

B'Elanna Torres

Chakotay

Seven of Nine was ok

Nope didn't hi t the mark with me at all 

Starting to like it. But the klingons are ruining it. They bare no relation to any other series. Might as well be a completely new species. 

Rio

Just a shame it isn't on a more accessible network, would have liked to see it.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, rio said:

Starting to like it. But the klingons are ruining it. They bare no relation to any other series. Might as well be a completely new species. 

Rio

They are, if you can figure out who they are meant to to be, can start to see the problem with this whole series 

Thanks for the info re: Wesley.  I thought he'd been transposed into another dimension and sentenced to do guest appearances on "The Big Bang Theory" as Sheldons' new best friend.

Ok, just seen Ep.3 and it's now getting into its stride.

I think I'm in for the long haul.

Trevor

SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS!

The Word 'midiclorians' wafted through my mind at one point.......

STD (  a truly unfortunate acronym) will take time to get into its stride. Currently and only by coincidence my self and the missus are re-watching

Star Trek The next generation. I think a lot of people forget how different TNG was in relation to the fondly remembered original series, the different looking Klingon, more involved female characters and the ship. How different was that when it first hit the screen? TNG took around four series to  get into its stride with story arcs and  establish its own mythology. it even took that time for the cast to get the loose the coat hangers from their spines and feel at home in the roles.

DS9 was in my opinion thoroughly enjoyable, a proper conflict a star fleet vessel that could cloak and the Q getting chinned by the commanding officer. In this trekkies opinion, great stuff.

Voyager and Enterprise. Not seen apart from a couple of episodes so ill refrain from commenting.

This new edition to the franchise will take time to find its feet  if it has a decent run. Either that or it will be cut short and join Enterprise in Trek regret. Wait and see.

A guy on another forum put it best- this is the best bit of Mass Effect fan fiction you'll ever see. But it doesn't sit right for Star Trek.

Hopefully it will get better.  

The biggest shame is that the Orville feels more like a Trek show than STD. 

DS9 got better in its latter seasons. The last season of Enterprise was amazing. 

Voyager?

OpulentBogusBluebreastedkookaburra-max-1

Edited by Thud4444

Thread drift alert....

I have watched all the Star Trek iterations except DS9. I watched the first few episodes and hated it. Quite frankly I didn’t care about any of the characters. The later series may be better, but I can’t face the thought of churning through the earlier ones to get to ‘the happy place’.

I still maintain that Voyager was the best of the lot and have watched that more than any of the others. 

As for Discovery, the first couple of episodes were confusing, but that’s par for a new show. Ep.3 was where for me, I was hooked.

One thing jars though. As it’s pre TOS it should look as equally simple and full of bold primary colours.

Trevor