Airfix New P-51D Tail Question

Brad-M

15 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Hi Guys/Gals,

Can anyone tell me whether or not the new Airfix 1/48 scale P-51D comes with the fillet-less tail?

TIA

Brad

Brad,

From what I have read and from the sprue shots I have seen, this one included, it appears both fin types are supplied in the kit. Now I can finally do 20th FG P-51D-5NA Happy Jack's Go Buggy in 1/48!

Mike

http://imodeler.com/2016/11/new-airfix-148-p-51d-mustang-sprue-preview/

• Like 2

No it doesn't have the filletless tail - there's only two different type of filleted tails ( panel line differences ) from what I understand.

I'm sure a boxing will be along at some point with it in if not the AM guys will step in.

Edited by Tbolt

Removing a Mustang’s fin fillet has to be one of the most basic exercises there is, a couple of minutes with a saw and sandpaper. 

There may well be a gap left and that’s a job for a shim of plastic card and a dab of filler. 

Edited by RJP
Mk I spellchecker now activated
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Hi,

All I see is the fillet fin which is the 24th thumbnail, where is the fillet-less one?

Thanks

Brad

If you look at thumbnail #20, you can see that the fuselage halves have been engineered to take an insert for the fin; the fin  assembly in thumbnail #29 is one of the two DFF types fitted to the P-51D. It may be that Airfix is going to do a 2nd boxing that has the sprue for the non-filleted fin, although in their workbench articles, they state that all versions of the D can be built from the kit- I guess we will have to wait and see if the initial boxing has both (actually three) fin types or will be in  a subsequent release. There are two types of fin fillets fitted to C/D Mustangs- one has a straight upper edge and the other has a lightly curved upper edge. Lots of discussion/drawings/photos on the P-51 SIG regarding the two types, but I'm not really allowed to post them without their OK. Also, I will be curious to see what gunsight, seat, radio, exhaust, and prop options they include, as everything I have seen so far are test shots. Like many of you, I would really like to see the non-filleted option so I can do Jack Ilfrey's P-51D-5NA Happy Jack's Go Buggy, but if not, whacking off the fillet is no big deal, as RJP has said.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling and grammar