HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

6 hours ago, EJS said:

Amazing scratchbuild. I am in awe of your skills.

i am just going by a set of plans and some photo's, the hanger details were a lot of artistic licence, and when that big helo goes in very little will be seen 

over the Christmas period i hope to do a lot of work on the signal deck, as it can be worked on and then removed from the build for safe keeping, 

NOT MY PHOTO - AND THIS IS HMS HAMPSHIRE

vAUalwi.jpg

• Like 1

Good evening everyone

more progress made this weekend

but i think i went a bit over the top on the decking, so i may take some of it out and go to steel plates, i will wait for the rivet counters to rip my head off (on F?B) that is)

this is the bi I may have to do again, even though i dont think it looks out of place, This Vessels had a lot of wooden decks

[Ie1gKOB]
having done lots of sanding i applied a rattle can to the Signal deck area, this now shows the bits left to be resanded

[VdHVoD8]

Search light pedistals
[XG3QJNU]

the square platform is the area for the binacle

[NBsgFvd]

some lighting going in, you can still see the areas that need working on, with filler and sanding

[8N8jmYv]

• Like 8

That is coming along nicely Kevin, excellent work! :worthy:   The model just needs to be photographed alongside something, in order for us to visualise the sheer size of it; perhaps a London bus or something like that? :wicked::giggle:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bootneck said:

That is coming along nicely Kevin, excellent work! :worthy:   The model just needs to be photographed alongside something, in order for us to visualise the sheer size of it; perhaps a London bus or something like that? :wicked::giggle:

Mike

Just remember that this is using a 1/72 Wessex as a detail accessory....

I do and it still blows my mind :boom:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redshift said:

Starting to look very good indeed. I have to ask, where on earth do you keep and display your finished work? I'm running out of shelf space and my models are only 2 feet long, not 7!

oh i solved that problem a long time ago, lol i never finish them

which means they can go anywhere, presently they are in the conservatory keeping out of the way of Christmas

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beard said:

And to you too. I look forward to seeing more your build in the new year.

i feel that next year will be good for the build, over the last few months i have been weaning myself off the PC, so hopefully will be able to work far more mid weeks rather than get distracted in things that keep me away from the build  I have no plans to start any other projects, but will perhaps redo a lot of the work already shown, thoroughly enjoying this project and it has shown that i can do it

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

at last i have managed to get a few days off, and a few hours in on the build

having been corrected and forced to see the errors of my ways i did a bit of a revamp on the signal deck, for the time being is will now leave this and move on back to the superstructure

QYIH6Ah.jpg

i decided to define the port holes better than the original idea I had, and actually used the brass ones from the Amerigo Vespucci kit that i abandoned a good few years ago, they stick out of the superstructure more than they should but for now they will do, the liners for the square ones look ok, but one or two of them look slightly wonky

L9Xk2F5.jpg

pLyqBio.jpg

6GLHl3J.jpg

tYfMDEX.jpg

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 9

today, i spent a while sorting some electrics out for the internals, but not ready to show the progress yet. (far to messy)
tonight, got my scratch building head on again and tried to make a vent /exhaust, hopefully i wont get slated to much for it, next one i will try a thinner material

[NoVBk1G]

[rBL881E]
[05wTdal]

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone

the build continues, at a very slow pace, normally I only get the weekends to do anything, but thats my problem

my last post was the vent, which in all honesty could be a lot better, so it has be filed in the bin

yesterday i covered the MDF Decking Forward and aft in Plasticard, this will now allow me to get a nice finish where it attaches to the hull, in hindsight perhaps I should not have gone all the way back on the forward section as this will have a wood decking laid on it

fFqX21p.jpg

3kLLAk9.jpg

more work done on the forward superstructure, in finishing the portholes W/T doors and drilled hols for the handrail supports, also the top deck extensions have bee fitted, these are for the Corvus launcher https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvus_chaff_launchers

4trURtN.jpg

p9B8HP5.jpg

even a few ladders are going in place, the double doors, are access to a workshop, maybe these are the wrong type of doors to use

xZYwTEJ.jpg

• Like 6

good evening everyone

nice three day weekend so time spent in the mancave

Quaterdeck

previously i had cocered the deck with pasticard, so i had to finish the bulkhead first of all

SyAryRf.jpg

a lot of sanding and filling, it is starting to get there

QabIusb.jpg

launcher made up, it does not have a lot of parts,but the scope to detail is there

ppygDZM.jpg

n2fcpum.jpg

and a primer coat

sY92xBA.jpg

MuVwAuq.jpg

in place, but still needs a famework behind it

WULfAwi.jpg

the the framework needs to be bigger than my first attempt

UpqY10W.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Kevin!

Sorry to be late on parade, only just found Your build,and stunning work!

I've had My eye on Fleetscale kits for many years (I dabble in R/C as well),and was always going to do Their Hood,but wanted to do a fine detailed model,which does not lend itself to the rigours of handling for sailing, hence My current project :-

I like the Seaslug launcher, 3D stuff is'nt cheap but certainly does the job, now that Printers have come down in price I was thinking of getting one, it's just learning the CAD that puts Me off a bit!

It must be great to build a model of a ship that You actually served on,the only downside being that the most critical person looking at it will be Yourself!:winkgrin:

If I was building a model of a vehicle from My working career it would be a Fork-lift truck! :crying:

Great work, and....Keep Sticking!    Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333

53 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I'm also late discovering this thread but WOW!!! What a project and incredible modelling skills.

I also served on the Fife (82-85) so following with great interest. Can't wait till you get to the 4.5 Mk6. :winkgrin:

Roger.

Roger in post 91 it shows the  4.5 but was just put there for me to see the full built in  perspective lol i dont want to keep jumping from one end to the other, im old and get confused as to where i am

• Like 1