HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

Good evening everyone

been away from the build for a couple of weeks, lol i am getting old and work has worn me out, and being tired had resulted in a few mistakes being made on the build

so having taken the forecastle back to MDF, all the hawse were filled in and reset to their proper positions, the deck was relines and new breakwater made
one side of the centre line is a little out in the fibre glass process, (ie both sides are not identical )so oi had to be a little creative with some of the non slip tresds to make it look the same

5AXceAm.jpg
dvMsSAz.jpg
drrIKLa.jpg
i may do a little more of the pattern towards the front 

the bollards on the centre line are the incorrect size, i need to order/make some
tZs74ah.jpg
this is as much as i can do at the pointy end for now, i have to order some bits and obtain paint, most of this will be green and white
P8UxPpy.jpg

made a paper template for the next section between the superstructure and the breakwater, as most of this is decked out, 
11LdcTe.jpg
this allowed me to make some plank edging by getting the shape from the template onto lime sheets

M63wsuN.jpg

• Like 8

thank you for the replies and likes

the one great advantage about this build, is that it is big enough to restart sections, or treat sections/modules alone without interfering with another, this section shows that example quite well. 
the gun deck
i made a card template of the area being worked on, and covering it with lime strips, the edges to represent caulking i am using my tried and tested permanent marker, i personally dont mind a little bit of bleeding as it soaks in  due to the pen being held into position for to long, i hope to have this completed this week
the inner circle is steel, so i may just expose the deck below it or put a circle temple into the middle spray the same as the deck colour
if for any reason this build is put onto water then it can be removed 
  ZVFeTTM.jpg

64KPAOS.jpg

yO71wFz.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you everyone for the replies and likes
Gun deck planking done, this at present has been left of the build and will be fixed after staining and varnish to avoid any over spray when the dreaded air brush comes out
nkASKOE.jpg

i like the idea of doing the planking onto card, as i can use PVA glue, whereas if i was direct onto plastic then C/A would be needed, which interacts with the permanent marker being used to simulate the caulking 

the next level aft, means now that i will have to make a final decission on how the main deck is being fitted, but for today i have started to ensure the Exocet launcher and bridge are all lined up
RXPFhZq.jpg05I5lXO.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2018 at 17:25, Rob 1 said:

Just catching on this build - wow! it has come on really well, looking impressive now.

thank you Rob

the build is presently on hold as it is to warm in my man cave, so at present i am working on the forward section of the SD-14 card kit

IOMUX56.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great to see that you're getting on with the SD14 again Kev.  Having seen the rest of it on your workbench, I know it is going to be a stunner when finished.  I keep getting tempted to do a scratchbuild,  in a more manageable 1:144 scale.

Mike

10 hours ago, bootneck said:

Great to see that you're getting on with the SD14 again Kev.  Having seen the rest of it on your workbench, I know it is going to be a stunner when finished.  I keep getting tempted to do a scratchbuild,  in a more manageable 1:144 scale.

Mike

Nice to hear from you Mike, not seen or or from you in some time, hope you are both well?

• 2 months later...

today marks the end of this build, as she was sold on to someone who hopefully can make a better job than myself, thank you to everyone who has followed this build, However i have plans for something else, and lol about the same size

• Sad 2

• 1 year later...