whippet

malfisher

I'm not familiar with the kit, but I am familiar with etched brass. They are parts that have been included in the kit to replace plastic parts which would have been moulded to a much greater thickness. Say for instance the model has a mesh over an intake or an exhaust, the etched brass gives a more two dimensional appearance as opposed to the moulded plastic one dimension. Sometimes, to mould an item in plastic to a scale thickness would require it to be basically weak and prone to breaking, whereas if it was done in etched brass, it will have strength and rigidity. The other thing is that these parts will need to be affixed with super glue.

HTH's.

John.

If you want to know how to use it, go to Google 'videos' and search for 'using photo etched parts'. This should give you a start, as Youtube is normally a good place for tutorials. 

***WARNING*** Using PE can become addictive. It may also have a negative effect on your wallet. 😜 ... in all reality though, try it at least. You might actually find you do like the end result on your Whippet.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm not familiar with the kit, but I am familiar with etched brass. They are parts that have been included in the kit to replace plastic parts which would have been moulded to a much greater thickness. Say for instance the model has a mesh over an intake or an exhaust, the etched brass gives a more two dimensional appearance as opposed to the moulded plastic one dimension. Sometimes, to mould an item in plastic to a scale thickness would require it to be basically weak and prone to breaking, whereas if it was done in etched brass, it will have strength and rigidity. The other thing is that these parts will need to be affixed with super glue.

HTH's.

John.

Thanks for the explanation John. I have got some super glue so i'll give it a go!

Malc

9 hours ago, malfisher said:

Thanks for the explanation John. I have got some super glue so i'll give it a go!

Malc

If you do end up using etched brass on a more regular basis, it might pay you to get a folding tool. There are many out there, with various price tags. I got one from Historex about a month ago after making do with flat pliers for years.

John.