Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Tomoshenko

• 3 weeks later...

Fresh back from a week’s holiday, feeling nice a refreshed, but blinkin’ cold! A little update and a milestone reached – I got the primer on. Yep I dusted down the airbrush, relearned how to use it in what feels like an eternity since its last squirt, and got some Alclad primer on:

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

All in grey, and it looks rather nice. The exception being the forward undercarriage struts which got blasted in Alclad black. From the best of the references the forward struts were polished aluminium, with the rest of the undercarriage being painted silver. Well it appears as such. Anyroad the will receive a coat of Alclad polished aluminium, while the rest of the undercarriage will be painted Humbrol silver. It should provide a nice contrast.

As ever in this game there is always a sting in the tail, and one of the wheels somehow got contaminated, be it from dust, bits in the paint, or micro alien invaders which inadvertently got sucked into my airbrush.

IMG_2741.jpg

It is flatting back quite easily, so no need for a strip and repaint.

Anyroad a final shot of the Fury in primer. It was a little fiddly aligning the struts. Some folk paint them separately and fix them at the end, but most builds I’ve seen have them have them fitted first as it should (I say should with my fingers crossed) be less messy and fiddly to glue the upper wing on later (providing I can avoid busting the struts of course).

I’ve also left the tail off as I reckon it will be easier to mask the yellow fin flash.

IMG_2736.jpg

Well I’m pleased with the outcome and at long last I have something that resembles a Hawker Fury on the bench. Next up proper painting.

• Like 19

Holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed (when not modelling myself). Superb job so far.

I have the A-Model kit in stash, and you inspire me to think of building a Mk.II with wheel spats. There is one nice from No. 41 Squadron with red stripes on the tail.

Patrik

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

As ever in this game there is always a sting in the tail, and one of the wheels somehow got contaminated, be it from dust, bits in the paint, or micro alien invaders which inadvertently got sucked into my airbrush.

Its all lies! I have never been anywhere near your airbrush. I am looking forward to seeing the paint going on this though, it looks like this is going to turn out a real gem.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Courageous said:

Nice to see primer on the Fury:speak_cool: but how did you manage to get 'dust, bits in the paint, or micro alien invaders' onto ONE wheel!?:shrug:

9 hours ago, perdu said:

He Tries Harder

Roight then you pair, I’ll try harder next time and endeavour to get both wheels contaminated.

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

To effect only one wheel it must have been selected; dust and paint don't 'select' therefore, it must be some alien involvement and Martian was a little to quick with a defence.:police:

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Sadly I fear you must be right

I have to admit I noticed that too

Hmm

Extra-T intervention

A great excuse for missing 'on the competition table' time restraints I suspect

:(

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Its all lies! I have never been anywhere near your airbrush. I am looking forward to seeing the paint going on this though, it looks like this is going to turn out a real gem.

Martian

I'm sure you haven't oh tentacleness. However, I suspect that those responsible are the local tearaways from round your end. It would be greatly appreciated if you could have a word with their parents. I would myself but can’t get up to Mars that often.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

Anyroad before I got on with some proper painting I decided to tackle, or at least make a start on the NMF which accounts for the cockpit frame and engine housing / cowling up the front end. While Alclad is good - I intend to make use of some polished aluminium, and the Vallejo metal color aluminium is good too, I wanted something a little more punchy and convincing.

Thus I’m having a go with this Bare-Metal foil stuff:

IMG_2745.jpg

There’s a bit of a knack to it, but have made a start:

IMG_2742.jpg

The tricky bit is burnishing out all the creases, and then trimming off the surplus. It is a case of just running the scalpel along the panel line and using the weight of the tool to provide the right pressure without tearing the foil – you don’t need to ask how I know this. In the words of my old metalwork teacher at school, and the skilled blokes who I was an apprentice too many eons ago, you let the tool do the work.

Anyroad with care and patience it is beginning to take shape:

IMG_2759.jpg

Forgive the repetition, but it is difficult to photograph this shiny silvery stuff. When I eventually finish it I will rig up a diffused lightbox for the RFI, but this is to give you some idea.

IMG_2757.jpg

At the moment I am concentrating on getting it stuck down. The restored and reproduction Furys in the museums and on the reference threads are ridiculously shiny. So shiny in fact they have an almost chrome, mirrored finish. Honestly, it resembles some of the chrome finishes the vehicle guys produce as opposed to on an aircraft. I suspect the original aircraft were well maintained and quite shiny, but unlikely to be of the same finish one finds on the car bumper or window flash in our Britmodeller vehicle RFI threads.

To be honest I don’t think I could replicate that convincingly at this scale even if I tried my hardest or so desired. My cop out will be to achieve a more realistic and scaled effect (well I did say it was my cop out).

It is possible to burnish the stuff, using micromesh, sanding sticks, bits of wood and finger nails etc to give a slightly different finish, which will provide a variable tone in respect of the different panels. I will experiment a tad on some test pieces in an attempt to replicate this effect.

IMG_2750_(2).jpg

I must admit I am quite impressed with it. It is quite malleable, reference the scoop just above. I thought it wouldn’t be possible to do this in one piece but it is.

That said it is slow going, as Crisp (Ex-FAAWAFU) once said. It is a good game played slowly. This will take some time.

• Like 14

I brought the stuff a while back and have been itching to give it a crack for some time. It would have been quite a leap for me to have a go at doing an entire aircraft first off, and as there is only a relatively small area on the Fury in NMF with few compound curves, I thought it would be a good test bed. Also given the work I've put in so far (it was originally intended to be a quick build, but we've all told ourselves that one before!), I thought why not, I'd like to see how it works out. So far so good, I'm quite impressed with the results and I can see why the vehicle guys use it. As good as the Alclads and other NMF paints are, I don't think you could quite match a foiled finish.

• Like 4

I

agree wiv 'im

looks blarry marvellous Tomo

(thinks : must get some to keep for ages then discover I need it at the eleventh hour kind of thingy...)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the compliments folks.  

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wonderful detail work on the aiming bits and the shiny shiny parts are top notch Tomo. I wouldn’t mind getting some of that BMF stuff. Is it sticky on one side, or do you glue it?

John.

Yes it is sticky on the one side. Once burnished it is quite steadfast. Those who opt for using kitchen foil (the cheapo stuff is recommended due to its thinness) stick it down using a coat of clear gloss. More difficult I expect, particularly over compound curves, but a casual surf of the tinternet will show what can be achieved.

Here’s a few recent examples from our own WIP. These fellas achieved superb results.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028013-some-foil-on-a-starfighter-completed/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-2855385

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030189-monogram-148-b-29-in-bare-metal-foil/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-2895033

Just a brief update as I continue to lay down the metal shiny stuff. It looks less impressive on small areas with lots of rivets, but when laid over a lard flatish surface area it really comes into its own:

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

Again I apologise for the repetition, but it’s damned difficult stuff to get a decent piccie of with an Iphone and basic lighting.

What the guys in the linked threads above did was go over it with a fine grade wire wool then finish off with metal polish. Very impressive results. Not sure I’ll get the same finish, but getting quite excited now :penguin:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Tomo. I might treat myself to a pack of that, it is pay day tomorrow after all. :penguin: you’re doing a splendid job sir.

One more question, your pack says matte Aluminium. It doesn’t look very matte. Is this the shiny stuff or does it get more shiny?

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Fabergé ain't got nothing on a Tomo Fury when it comes to radiant surfaces - nothing short of gorgeous the way that you're bringing that lustrous form into being.

It doesn't so much catch the light as bat it playfully around...

Lovely.

• Like 1

That BMF is very good stuff, I've used it myself...BUT, how are you going to mask it without pulling it off again?

I would have added it after all the painting...

Ian

• Like 1