Elliott White Springs' Sopwith Camel

Twobad

59 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I'm rather lost for words.  A truly amazing example of modelling.  I suspect your client is gong to be a very happy person.  Right, come on then.  How did you do that natural metal finish?!   

It is natural metal. The kit comes with pressed aluminium panels. I did try polishing them in the first version I made with a view putting the turned finish on them that the Sopwith made Camels had. However, the surface finish is very hard and slightly dull, so I suspect that the parts have been clear anodised.  That makes polishing any scratches out a real sod as you'd have to remove all the anodising if you hoped to end up with a uniform finish (did I mention it was hard?). And all the parts I've seen have been slightly scratched somewhere, even if the bags and vac formed covers haven't been touched when you get the kit.

There are some scratches on the cowling under the starboard gun muzzle on this kit if I recall correctly.

PS. I've just had a look back through the build photos and the scratches don't seem to show in any of them, but in real life you can see the light glinting on them quite clearly as you move around.

Edited by Twobad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Delayar said:

Truly amazing! Works of art.

I like the half/half appearance of the models.

Cheers,

Markus

That was fortuitous originally. The first Camel I built was an abandoned project and the port upper mainplane had already been partially assembled. I wasn't satisfied with the quality of parts of it and wouldn't have been happy claiming it as my work anyway. So to get around that I conceived the idea of covering that side of the aircraft. I like the final result and am very pleased I went down that route. If you look from one side you get the full feel of the aircraft and from the other you can see the inner structure.

• 1 month later...

As a final coda, the model has just arrived at its final destination in the US, and to my huge relief is undamaged and the recipient delighted with it. 

• 5 years later...

All I can come up with... I am sorry.

Seriously though... Top job. Absolutely incredible! :clap2:

**Glances over at his current project, the Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Camel. A newfound, raw and unadulterated, disgust washes over him. He questions his life choices.**

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Clio182 said:

All I can come up with... I am sorry.

Seriously though... Top job. Absolutely incredible! :clap2:

**Glances over at his current project, the Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Camel. A newfound, raw and unadulterated, disgust washes over him. He questions his life choices.**

Thank you for the comments, the last made me laugh. Perhaps I shouldn't have...😬

• Haha 1