First Diorama

Hi,

Excuse the poor quality pictures. (taken with google pixel XL)

I've mostly been a wings person and dip in and out of building models as and when time allows. I've found building armour more rewarding as it seems to need a lot less sanding and filling seams!

Here is my first attempt at a Diorama, using 3 Tamiya Kits. It's not 100% complete, steering wheel is still to be attached and some of the figures are still to be finished off.

Kits are Tamiya BMW and Sidecar, Tamiya Protze and Tamiya Flakvierling.

Diorama base was made from scratch and the landscape was made from plaster of paris. 

The drainage ditches havent worked, I used woodland scenics water effects (rather than real water by accident) and it just kept disappearing after a few days.

Google Photos Album

uYByB9CP8gY09B-SJO_IFtLRQarYgvI2P97b8YaD

b66SSobyouV5gVvwEImAeX4mbbOVN8w1UU36abLF

gp-r_lO0bQGrot_KeJTgTP0xkFfemkReMb3HSJmF

7WBs0DPVCkPvf0LKJilqm4e1NLcLBFWi2JJIGxDl

4crZhOzR9LeSXd7ZyJ12IjDeJAEuowRYjqgJTGgP

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Excellent job - particularly for a first attempt. The only improvement I could suggest is tyre tracks/ruts in the muddy road.

Thanks, I did originally intend to put tyre tracks in but then forgot when I was trying to get the plaster of paris formed.

• Like 1

I love the composition of that diorama. Nicely cluttered, but not unrealistically so. Your vehicles and figures look very good to me.

I'm afraid that I don't like your trees at all.... I'd rather see none, than have to look at those horrible kit trees. :think:

But don't let me put you off. Just have a look at the different options available. Personally I much prefer to make my own.

One tip for you.... if you'd have coated the surfaces of the drainage ditch with either PVA or several coats of gloss varnish, that water effects stuff would have stayed put. (you'd have to dam both ends to stop it flowing away though)

Reargaurds,

Badder

23 minutes ago, Badder said:

I love the composition of that diorama. Nicely cluttered, but not unrealistically so. Your vehicles and figures look very good to me.

I'm afraid that I don't like your trees at all.... I'd rather see none, than have to look at those horrible kit trees. :think:

But don't let me put you off. Just have a look at the different options available. Personally I much prefer to make my own.

One tip for you.... if you'd have coated the surfaces of the drainage ditch with either PVA or several coats of gloss varnish, that water effects stuff would have stayed put. (you'd have to dam both ends to stop it flowing away though)

Reargaurds,

Badder

Hi Badder, thanks for the comments, I know what you mean about the trees and have read up a little more on making trees since then, ready for my next attempt.

I've got a Tamiya Churchill on the go at the moment so maybe a Bocage diorama next.

Marc

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

Cool! I am currently making a diorama for a Churchill and friends, including a large scratch-built tree. (The ever evolving diorama)

It'll be my second Churchill diorama, my first being 'Lost in France' which is available to see in the RFI section. You might pick up some tips there, but ignore the bushes/trees which are pretty naff. :D

Rearguards,

Badder

55 minutes ago, southpier said:

you've done figures for a while, though.

Er nope, pretty much my first figures but have been doing a lot of reading / watching videos.

Only the 2 foot soldiers are fully finished, painted with Tamiya flesh and then used oils to shade in.

I've invested in a few Vallejo flesh tones now, but definitely find with figures you have to be in the right mood to paint!

Marc

Edited by Marc Davison

they look really nice. I do agree that the stars need to align before taking up brush!

I use them for the times I need to go into "the Zone" and not be distracted by the peripheral things which building does to me.

Q: how did we build models without computers...?

i'm constantly taking off the optivisor and looking up "stuff"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great modelling and dio. The pic quality isn't that bad, but the stuff in the background kind of destroys the illusion for me. Even if you'd just pushed the dio up against that plain wall at the back and moved everything else out of shot, would have made for a much better set of pics. Just my opinion you understand :)